Getting Gumpaste Really Thin

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm by Cathy26

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone, im a total gumpaste addict and have used it successfully on figures, bows, lettering etc but when i try to make flowers its always too thick and then if i have it thinner it sticks to the surface or is really flimsy. Also it means that that when i make bows they are pretty thick so i dont get that naturalistic folded look that other people have.

Any tips? i have tried and tried to get it thin but when i think it is thin and cut out for example roses then i realise that it is way too thick and i cant get the petals to frill like they are supposed to.

any advice much appreciated. ps i use fondant (sugar, glucose, gelatine and glycerine mixed with gum tracaganth to make my gumpaste)

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 12

I think you are expecting too muchicon_smile.gif
I took a peek at you pix.....they are good. If you go back to what you say is your 1st fondant cake.....then yes, they are thick but the more recent posted pix look really good.
Are you working on a foam pad? Are you using a ball tool to thin/ruffle the edges? Is it a metal one?

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 12

I use my pasta machine to get my stuff thin enough.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #4 of 12

Pasta machine alllll the way baby! If you want super thin, realistic looking flowers and other goodies, a pasta machine is such a time saver. You get evenly rolled dough everytime!

Jen icon_smile.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #5 of 12

Do you use the skinniest setting on a pasta machine or the second skinniest one? It was kinda tricky for me not to have my gum paste all bungled up in it. I have one that hooks on the table, a real old one and boy was glad that I have carted it around with me all these years. Now that I too am addicting to gum paste I have a use for it!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Pasta machine alllll the way baby! If you want super thin, realistic looking flowers and other goodies, a pasta machine is such a time saver. You get evenly rolled dough everytime!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Jen speaks the gospel truth!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:03am
post #7 of 12

Two words: Pasta Machine! icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:10am
post #8 of 12

What I learned about using the pasta machine is to start w/the widest opening; pass the gp thru it 3 times before going on to the next thinnest setting; continue like this until it is as thin as you can get but this time pass the gp thru 7 times.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:13am
post #9 of 12

I'm gonna try that tonight! I always get in a big hurry and end up with a mess, Thanks

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:14am
post #10 of 12

You will find the gumpaste will want to ripple when fed through the pasta machine, that's normal. Just keep feeding it and it will straighten out.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #11 of 12

And if it's in your budget, get a KitchenAid pasta roller attachment. I used a hand-crank pasta machine for years before biting the bullet and buying a KA pasta roller. It beats the pants off a hand-crank machine.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 12

thanks everyone, will have to look into pasta machines!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%