Opinions On A Newbie At Ices 2009

Decorating By saramachen Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm by MicheleH

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone! I am contemplating going to ICES in St Charles. I am a hobby decorator (with big dreams, mind you). I have taken 5 wilton classes and 3 classes with Klara Johnson (shes a cake superstar around my parts) and i have signed up for 5 more of her classes this spring. I have only done a few cakes and they are for family and friends. I can see my cakes getting better and better and I have plans to put in a cake kitchen in my basement someday.... but am i jumping the gun going to ICES? I booked a hotel room for Thurs - Mon just in case.

I want to see all the cakes, i want to see the demos, i want to take a class and i want to shop in the vendors hall.... I mean I WANT to go...

Do i take a cake for the sugar art gallery? I mean if i go i want to go full out and take it all in. But i guess i'm a little self conscious and afraid of looking silly.

What do you all think??

9 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 10

ICES is for all ages and skill levels.....ya gotta start somewhere!! icon_wink.gif Go for it...you will love it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 10

The cool thing about the cake room is that all levels of artistry are represented. It's a big beautiful display, not a competition.

You will miss an opportunity to inspire someone. And you'll learn things that you can share too.

My vote is for >> definitely going for it. icon_biggrin.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 10

I'm an occasional, hobbiest baker. st charles is only 40 minutes away and I just feel like I HAVE to go. The chance may not come again and I just want to be enspired by the classes and the cakes and meet others who share my interest.

Maybe I'll get the courage to bring a cake too.

can't wait

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:04am
post #5 of 10

Going to your first ICES convention is like going to "Cake Decorating Heaven"! You'll be so in awe walking into the cake room because of all the cakes- of all levels from all over the world. Then, when you walk into the vendor's area- Wow- you've never seen so many cake toys in one room!! It really is worth going to!! (If you're taking classes with Klara Johnson, you're ready to take a cake to display! icon_biggrin.gif )

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #6 of 10

Thanks guys. I would really be upset if i didn't go so you will see me in July....

joshalow - I love Klara. She is such an awesome lady and i am very lucky to live 15 minutes from her shop.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #7 of 10

My first ICES convention was last July in Orlando. OMG...I was on cloud nine the whole time. It was so much fun meeting everyone and attending all the demos. You will learn so much and be inspired by the wonderful teachers. GO...GO....GOOOOO. And take lots of money. You are going to want to buy everything in the vendor area. All the toys...it's amazing.

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:39am
post #8 of 10

I too, am thinking about joinint ICES. Didn't know for sure if I wanted to invest the money or not. Can anyone tell me what else you get for joining besides an invite to the conventions?
I have a cake biz out of my home in small town Iowa. I love to decorate and think it would be worth it but not sure?
My favorite sister lives about 15 minutes from the convention site, so I could visit her AND go to the convention!! icon_lol.gif
Thanks!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 10

Oh please go!!! icon_biggrin.gif You'll love it! And take an empty suitcase to bring home all your new 'toys'! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I know some decorators may not think the membership in ICES has much to offer- perhaps not in a tangible sense, besides the newsletter-but the knowledge I've learned from watching hundreds of demos over the years has been absolutely worth every penny I ever spent!!!! thumbs_up.gif

And for a number of years I registered as a shop owner, so going to the shop owners' breakfast meeting was always a source of business information.

I've met so many wonderful 'cake friends', and so many great instructors so willing to share any knowledge they can possibly give me! Going to ICES introduced me to our state group, which has been another great source of information, instruction and inspiration over the years.

I love ICES, and only wish I could make it to the convention this year. icon_sad.gif (my daughter is getting married this fall, so convention will have to wait for another year)

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 10

It all sounds wonderful! But I am still a little aprehensive about the cost. Not only of the membership itself, but of the cost of the convention.
My husband says that I am so tight I squeak when I walk. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%