Help! Red Mmf For A Cars Cake!

Decorating By rcsnickers2 Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 8:04am by Frankyola

rcsnickers2 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 5

I am making my nephew a cars cake for this weekend. My question if how do I get the deep red? I make my own MMF. I have read to add red then add brown to get it darker? Plus, letting it sit over night or a few days helps it to darken? Is this correct?

Any suggestions on a cars cake? Thanks!!!!! I am so nervous! I want all the boys to love this car cake! You know?

THanks!!!

4 replies
GI Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #2 of 5

Using AmeriColor brand colors work absolutely fantastic. With that said, if you have AC, i would use those colors. I would start out with Pink color and then add the red. Red can have a bitter taste to it, so that's why I would start with pink. I would think Brown would make it a "muddy" color myself.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

PS: Oh yes, definitely let it set overnight or a day. Wrap the fondant up nice and tight to keep out the air so as not to dry it out.

KrisD13 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #3 of 5
lchristi27 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #4 of 5

Kris, that cake is amazing! Wow!

rcsnickers2- if you can find strawberry marshmallows for the fondant, then you already have your pink (and not to mention it tastes fabulous!). Add Red foodcoloring BEFORE you add the powder sugar. Get it darker than you actually want because the ps will lighten it up a bit, not a ton but some.

My red always comes out great this way, you can see some in my profile pics, all using this method. HTH!
Lisa

Frankyola Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:04am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Using AmeriColor brand colors work absolutely fantastic. With that said, if you have AC, i would use those colors. I would start out with Pink color and then add the red. Red can have a bitter taste to it, so that's why I would start with pink. I would think Brown would make it a "muddy" color myself.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

PS: Oh yes, definitely let it set overnight or a day. Wrap the fondant up nice and tight to keep out the air so as not to dry it out.

Ditto what GI said thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%