Sheet Cake Height?

Decorating By dmich Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm by kakeladi

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all,

I've managed to avoid making sheet cakes so far, but now have an order for a couple of them. Could you tell me how high you typically make your sheet cakes? How many of you do single-layer and how many include a filling? Can I assume that most serving charts are for single-layer sheet cakes? Thank you!

14 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 15

I like filling in my cakes, so I do 2 layer 1'' tall each. the finished sheet cake is just under 3'' once you fill and frost it

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 15

1 layer is a sheet cake. Both 2" and 3" is acceptable heights. Sometimes, I do split and fill the single layer. Serving charts for sheet cakes are for single layers.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 15

I despise flat cakes with no filling, so all of my sheet cakes (which refers to a SIZE, not a type or style) are two layers, 2" tall each, with filling. I don't do Sam's-style cakes, sorry. For ease and convenience, I bake 2 layers. I don't try to bake one 4" tall 1/2 sheet cake and torte it.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks to everyone for the information. It seems like everyone does things a little bit differently, but this gives me a good idea what I want to do. I agree that having a filling in the middle makes a cake so much better and makes it stand out from Costco, Sam's Club, etc. Let's hope it stands out from these cakes in other ways, too. icon_wink.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 15

a 2 layer (2-2") is a layer cake with the same dimensions as a sheet cake which is completely different from a sheet or slab cake which is, by definition, a single layer of cake.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 15

I, too, have questions about sheet cakes. What are the exact dimensions? Is there a pan that large, or do you butt 2 squares up against each other to make one long cake? Finally, if you do put 2 square cakes side-by-side, how can you make sure that they're exactly the same height so that it looks like a single, level cake? Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!

sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 15

The industry standard for a FULL SHEET is either 16" x 24" or 18" x 26". A quarter sheet is 9" x 13" and a half-sheet is 12" x 16" or 12" x 18". The way you configure a sheet cake is according to how large a pan your oven will accommodate. Personally, I bake two 12" x 18" cakes and butt them up next to each other with some icing in between the two cakes. They can vary a little in height as a perfect level can be achieved with icing...or just level the whole thing, once they are together on the cake board. icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 15

I can't thank you, enough, sparklepopz!!!! I've shied away from making a sheet cake, because I had so many questions -- now, I have answers!!! icon_razz.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 15

I've seen 11x17's too.

sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 15

Sure thing! icon_smile.gif

I also have an 11" x 15" pan. You can find pans in all different dimensions.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 15

My sheet cakes are 2" but once filled and frosted they are atleast 3" high.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:27am
post #13 of 15

Gosh, am I the only one who doesn't fill a sheet cake? Mine are baked in 11X15 pans and are a single layer w/o filling.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:12am
post #14 of 15

No, I don't fill sheets either. Single layer, no filling, iced. Boom. That's it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 15

.......The industry standard.......

If you match your cake pan size to the board & sizes sold you will find that a:

full sheet is 24x16 (or1icon_cool.gif
1/2 sheet is 12x16
1/4 sheet is 12x8

If you put a 9x13 on a 1/4 sheet board there is NO room for icing or bordersicon_sad.gif

It make total scene to match the cake to the board. Why pay extra for a 1/2 sheet board & box to put a 9x13 (so called 1/4 sheet) on?

I also think a sheet cake is only 2" tall; I sometimes will fill either by injection or torting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%