A Light Textured Chocolate Cake Recipe - Does One Exist?

Baking By lostincake Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 11:04pm by MacsMom

lostincake Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 10

I originally posted this in the "How Do I" section not realizing there was a section specifically for recipe requests! I didn't get a single response (boohoo) so hopefully I'll get better success here LOL.

Original Post 12/08/08:
Can anyone suggest a scratch recipe for a nice durable chocolate cake that has a light texture yet rich chocolate taste? DH is complaining that the recipe I currently use is too dense/heavy (is that a bad thing or is he just crazy?). I am using Martha Stewart's Dark Chocolate recipe which uses regular AP flour, hot strong coffee and cocoa powder w/ the regular eggs, butter, baking powder, sugar, salt, vanilla etc.

I do have another recipe that calls for sour cream & uses melted bakers chocolate in addition to cocoa powder and cake flour instead of all purpose, but that one has a tendency to crumble and not hold up when sliced into. I have also tried a the Hershey's recipe that uses vegetable oil instead of butter but really didn't like the flavour nor the aftertaste although it was moist.

Or perhaps there is something I can do that would make the 1st recipe above come out lighter in texture (i.e. more baking powder maybe?). Any insight would be great. Thx in advance.

9 replies
sayhellojana Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 10

I use 2 chocolate cake recipes: Fudge cake from food network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/40-a-day/chocolate-fudge-cake-with-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-and-chocolate-ganache-glaze-recipe/index.html) and a variation of the Hershey's recipe. In place of milk in the Hershey's recipe, I use half sour cream half milk. It makes the cake softer and a bit more durable at the same time. The food network recipe is good because it makes a ton of batter and it rises sky-high! That recipe makes more than 3 8'' layers for me. It's very good, too

lostincake Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:02am
post #3 of 10

Thx sayhellojana! I'll definitely try the foodnetwork one since it sounds like what I'm looking for (something that rises). And thanks so much for posting the link - that was very helpful =).

gerripje Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:27am
post #4 of 10

Hello fellow Canadian! I have a recipe that I have made several times. It's fairly easy and is, I suppose, a lighter chocolate cake. Not sure, but I'll pm it to you!

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:43am
post #5 of 10

The one that I've found that is the closest thing to "box mix" texture, is Colette Peters' chocolate cake. My DH hates cake, and this is the only cake I make that he'll eat. Go figure...

Actually, the EXACT cake I make is a slightly different recipe, but not enough different to matter; I use them almost interchangeably.

lostincake Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:00am
post #6 of 10

Thx for the PM gerripje - will give this one a whirl too - Are you near Calgary? I heard they're having unseasonably warm weather there and possibly flooding? We got record low temps here LOL.

& Thanks Chef_Stef - I will definitely try Colette's (got her book so will look for it). I was gonna try the mocha alternative to her Heavenly White Cake too.

Let's see if DH can stomach all the chocolate cake I'm gonna be testing out on him LOL.

Thx a bunch CC'ers. icon_biggrin.gif

leahk Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:25am
post #7 of 10

here's my recipe. i'm a hobby baker, and i've never used this in a stacked cake (with dowels) i have torted and layered it. it is a bit "crummy" when torted, but nothing an icing tip can't handle.
it is light yet moist, and rises beautifully.

eggless choc fudge cake:

3 c flour
2 c sugar
6 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 c oil
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups warm water

sift dry ingredients together. mix in the wet and beat until smooth (i do this with a wisk). bake in a 9X12 pan at 350 for 30-40 min.

when my mom made this, she would mix everything except the baking soda and vinegar. she'd then pu in the baking soda and pour the vinegar directly on it so we could watch is bubble. we dubbed this the "volcano cake"

gerripje Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:51am
post #8 of 10

I'm 2 hours south of Calgary and finally we got our "chinook winds". It has been up to 10C melting all of this snow. We aren't used snow staying this long, since the beginning of December icon_surprised.gif

cakeymom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 10

I use this recipe from allrecipes.com and my co-workers request it constantly and my very picky 16 year old son that absolutely does not like chocolate cake will eat this one:

Dark Chocolate Cake I

* 2 cups boiling water
* 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 2 1/4 cups white sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 3 - 9 inch round cake pans. In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture. Spread batter evenly between the 3 prepared pans.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool.

Be sure to use a high end cocoa it will make all the difference in the world. My fav is Ghirardelli!!!

Good luck,

cakeymom

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 10

The recipe on the box of Hersheys cocoa is light textured and very chocolate-y!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%