Bye Bye Satin Ice... Well Kinda. :)

Decorating By slopokesgirl Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm by gscout73

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 55

YAY!!! I finally stepped out of my comfort zone and I made my own fondant for the first time yesterday.

Let me tell you a secret. I LOVE IT. Man.. why did I wait so long to do this?!?!?!

It wasn't difficult.. It wasn't THAT messy. and it tastes soooo good. And I experimented with different flavors. I LOVE IT.

I also made my kids perform a taste test for me and they loved mine. tee hee.

And the best part... IT'S CHEAPER TO MAKE IT MYSELF!!!!!

Ok... I'm just a little giddy.. must be from all the sugar I consumed yesterday. icon_lol.gif

For all of you folks that haven't at least tried it. I challenge you to take a few minutes to step out of your comfort zone and give it a try. You just may like it too.

Side note: I'll keep my Satin Ice supplier on the side just in case I get lazy or get in a pinch one day. icon_razz.gif

54 replies
FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 55

Yay!! I make mine too and it's easy and cheaper and tastes much better. I can't stand Satin Ice. Welcome to the world of homemade fondant.

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 55

OMG... I am so excited. I haven't been this excited since my hubby bought me my KK air brush machine.

Only my fellow CC'rs would understand my weirdness. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 55

I have to make a nine tier cake, wanna make my fondant!!!.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Call me lazy..I really dont wanna!..been there done that, let them eat satin ice.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

miss_sweetstory Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 55

Which recipe did you use? I've tried MMF and Michele Foster's. I like Michele's best of the two. It seems to perform more consistently.

cvoges Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 55

Congratulations on stepping outside of your comfort zone! That's usually when we make the most amazing discoveries! Not to highjack your post, but I stepped out of mine yesterday, too. I've been filling my family and friends with variations of American buttercream to the point that they can't stand it anymore. Yesterday, I ventured to make chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream and paired it with Susan's Chocolate Cake (allrecipes.com) It was a hit.

dance2874 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 55

So, without a KA mixer, would I be crazy to try it?? I have a pretty heavy duty sunbeam but I am afraid to kill it because I cant afford to replace it. I really like satin ice but cheaper is better!

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Quote:

Which recipe did you use? I've tried MMF and Michele Foster's. I like Michele's best of the two. It seems to perform more consistently.

I just googled the recipe. It worked out great. It was soft and easy to make. But I am so willing to try others. I'll try Michele Fosters. Anyone else have their favorites?

Quote:
Quote:

I have to make a nine tier cake, wanna make my fondant!!!..
Call me lazy..I really dont wanna!..been there done that, let them eat satin ice..

HAHAHA... I guess so. I would def. consider just buying it if I had THAT MUCH to make.

I only made a itty little bit. We'll see when I'm challenged with a big cake.

Hey cvoges: No problem "highjacking" my post. hahahahaha...
I have some incredible recipes it you want them. Listen to this: Blackberry Buttermilk Cake with White Chocolate Mousse. OMG SO YUMMY!!!!

Confession: I made a bunch of the Mousse and I ate soo much. And I put a HUGE dollop in my coffee this morning. icon_lol.gif

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Quote:

So, without a KA mixer, would I be crazy to try it?? I have a pretty heavy duty sunbeam but I am afraid to kill it because I cant afford to replace it. I really like satin ice but cheaper is better!

I didn't have to use my mixer at all. I used the good ole one two that God gave me.

Super easy.

bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 55

No matter how many times I've made fondant and no matter what recipe I've used I've had the same result: DISASTER!! Forget it, I buy the stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

imakecakes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 55

Hey cvoges: No problem "highjacking" my post. hahahahaha...
I have some incredible recipes it you want them. Listen to this: Blackberry Buttermilk Cake with White Chocolate Mousse. OMG SO YUMMY!!!!

I'd love the recipe for this cake and the fondant!! Thanks for posting this. I've only made MMF--time for me to branch out, too!

CakesByLJ Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokesgirl

Confession: I made a bunch of the Mousse and I ate soo much. And I put a HUGE dollop in my coffee this morning. icon_lol.gif

Now your talkin" thumbs_up.gif Blackberries and white chocolate... a match made in heaven.. move over chocolate covered strawberries.. drop a big plump blackberry into some white chocolate.. that will wake up your taste buds... yummmmy
I would love the recipe for that cake... icon_biggrin.gif

saap1204 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 55

I have made both the MMF and Michelle's Foster's fondant. I love Michelle's--easy to make, not as sweet as the MMF. Try that one--you will not be disappointed!

Getus Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 55

So, without a KA mixer, would I be crazy to try it??

No, you do not need a KA mixer to make Michelle Foster's Delicious Fondant! I make it with my Oster stand mixer just fine.

Anyone else have their favorites?

Michelle Foster's is so easy to make and definitely my fav so far.
I must admit, though....I am very curious about Dontz' chocolate fondant. Leaning heavily toward ordering her DVD.
icon_wink.gif

sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm
post #16 of 55

I made my own fondant for years before discovering I could buy 20 pound buckets of Satin Ice for 50 bucks. 400 pounds of Satin Ice later and I am still super-happy not having to make my own. icon_biggrin.gif

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #17 of 55

WOW $50. I get mine for $80 plus shipping costs. That comes up to about $100 for me. Where do you buy yours?

sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #18 of 55

I buy mine from Into the Oven. Every couple of months they put out a 15% or 20% off coupon and I stock up. Before that, I was buying it locally from Swiss Chalet Fine Foods, a large wholesaler who happens to have a warehouse here in Houston, but it was about $60 a bucket buying it from them.

Here's the order confirmation details from a recent order. Minus the cake drum, it worked out to $53 a bucket. When they put out a 20% off coupon, it's even less. icon_smile.gif

Products
------------------------------------------------------
3 x 20 lb. Dark Chocolate Fondant by Satin Ice (SICF20) = $142.47
1 x Round Foil Cake Drum Silver 12" (CK27-2012) = $2.75
UPS (2 pkg(s) x 35 lbs total) (UPS Ground): $38.53
Discount Coupons:15%: -$21.78
Sub-Total: $145.22
Total: $161.97

Delivery Address
xxx xxx
xxxxx xxxxxxx
Houston, TX 77089
United States

lomikesa Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #19 of 55

I buy my Satin Ice at a local bakery supplier here in Miami $37.99 for 20Lb. the small bucket of colored fondant (5lb) is $15.00.

Lomikesa

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 55

Alright, I guess it's time to find a new supplier. icon_smile.gif

Magnum Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I have to make a nine tier cake, wanna make my fondant!!!.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Call me lazy..I really dont wanna!..been there done that, let them eat satin ice.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

can't wait to see that cake icon_biggrin.gif

ILE Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:33pm
post #22 of 55

thank you for posting the links.i'll give it a try.

Price Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:39pm
post #23 of 55

I just made Michelle Foster's fondant for the first time this week. I think it taste much, much better than Satin Ice, but I still like the Satin Ice better for modeling.

imartsy Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #24 of 55

I've tried making tons of different fondants - rolled fondant (Winbeckler's recipe), White chocolate fondant, "European fondant", anyway - all sorts of fondant from different recipes - even the MMF. I can't get it to be consistent. And it's usually too "droopy" to make characters out of. I wish Satin Ice wouldn't dry quite so fast and wouldn't crack so much when I try to make bows or anything - but I can't seem to find another fondant that works better.

FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #25 of 55

If your fondant is too droopy.. add more PS.. or add some tylose. It will firm it up just fine. I sometimes have to add extra PS to make the consistency right.. but if you make the same recipe over and over you get a feel for when it's right. icon_smile.gif For me it's Michele Foster's fondant with my own tweaks (mostly for flavor). Her recipe as is is still more than wonderful.

tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklepopz

I made my own fondant for years before discovering I could buy 20 pound buckets of Satin Ice for 50 bucks. 400 pounds of Satin Ice later and I am still super-happy not having to make my own. icon_biggrin.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif .. Into the oven too!
Edna

lomikesa Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #27 of 55

Well Satin Ice just when up to $41.00 in my local bakery supplyer, but I am not complaining, thats better than $80.00 or $50.00

Lomikesa

GrandmaG Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #28 of 55

I love Michelle Foster's fondant. For someone that mostly hobby bakes, like me, it's great! But when it comes to black or red I buy Satin Ice. I would like someone to tell me how to get homemade fondant that dark without changing the consistency.

Suebee Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:34pm
post #29 of 55

I like Satin Ice. If have tried at least 5 recipes of homemade fondant, it's a mess and it never comes out great. It's tears, stretches and doesn't hold up for figures. If you have a recipe that works as well as Satin Ice please tell me I'll try it.

Suebee Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:38pm
post #30 of 55

Lomikesa, where do you live. I pick up Satin Ice at a supplier outside of Phila and pay $60 for a 20lb bucket. It's convenient because I visit my daughter who lives 15 min away, but she will be moving next year and we will need to get it somewhere else. I don't want to think about having it shipped. $$$ Yikes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%