Bye Bye Satin Ice... Well Kinda. :)

Decorating By slopokesgirl Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm by gscout73

slopokesgirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 55

YAY!!! I finally stepped out of my comfort zone and I made my own fondant for the first time yesterday.

Let me tell you a secret. I LOVE IT. Man.. why did I wait so long to do this?!?!?!

It wasn't difficult.. It wasn't THAT messy. and it tastes soooo good. And I experimented with different flavors. I LOVE IT.

I also made my kids perform a taste test for me and they loved mine. tee hee.

And the best part... IT'S CHEAPER TO MAKE IT MYSELF!!!!!

Ok... I'm just a little giddy.. must be from all the sugar I consumed yesterday. icon_lol.gif

For all of you folks that haven't at least tried it. I challenge you to take a few minutes to step out of your comfort zone and give it a try. You just may like it too.

Side note: I'll keep my Satin Ice supplier on the side just in case I get lazy or get in a pinch one day. icon_razz.gif

54 replies
 FromScratch  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 55

Yay!! I make mine too and it's easy and cheaper and tastes much better. I can't stand Satin Ice. Welcome to the world of homemade fondant.

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 55

OMG... I am so excited. I haven't been this excited since my hubby bought me my KK air brush machine.

Only my fellow CC'rs would understand my weirdness. icon_smile.gif

tonedna  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 55

I have to make a nine tier cake, wanna make my fondant!!!.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Call me lazy..I really dont wanna!..been there done that, let them eat satin ice.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

miss_sweetstory  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 55

Which recipe did you use? I've tried MMF and Michele Foster's. I like Michele's best of the two. It seems to perform more consistently.

cvoges  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 55

Congratulations on stepping outside of your comfort zone! That's usually when we make the most amazing discoveries! Not to highjack your post, but I stepped out of mine yesterday, too. I've been filling my family and friends with variations of American buttercream to the point that they can't stand it anymore. Yesterday, I ventured to make chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream and paired it with Susan's Chocolate Cake (allrecipes.com) It was a hit.

dance2874  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 55

So, without a KA mixer, would I be crazy to try it?? I have a pretty heavy duty sunbeam but I am afraid to kill it because I cant afford to replace it. I really like satin ice but cheaper is better!

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Quote:

Which recipe did you use? I've tried MMF and Michele Foster's. I like Michele's best of the two. It seems to perform more consistently.

I just googled the recipe. It worked out great. It was soft and easy to make. But I am so willing to try others. I'll try Michele Fosters. Anyone else have their favorites?

Quote:
Quote:

I have to make a nine tier cake, wanna make my fondant!!!..
Call me lazy..I really dont wanna!..been there done that, let them eat satin ice..

HAHAHA... I guess so. I would def. consider just buying it if I had THAT MUCH to make.

I only made a itty little bit. We'll see when I'm challenged with a big cake.

Hey cvoges: No problem "highjacking" my post. hahahahaha...
I have some incredible recipes it you want them. Listen to this: Blackberry Buttermilk Cake with White Chocolate Mousse. OMG SO YUMMY!!!!

Confession: I made a bunch of the Mousse and I ate soo much. And I put a HUGE dollop in my coffee this morning. icon_lol.gif

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Quote:

So, without a KA mixer, would I be crazy to try it?? I have a pretty heavy duty sunbeam but I am afraid to kill it because I cant afford to replace it. I really like satin ice but cheaper is better!

I didn't have to use my mixer at all. I used the good ole one two that God gave me.

Super easy.

bobwonderbuns  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 55

No matter how many times I've made fondant and no matter what recipe I've used I've had the same result: DISASTER!! Forget it, I buy the stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

imakecakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 55

Hey cvoges: No problem "highjacking" my post. hahahahaha...
I have some incredible recipes it you want them. Listen to this: Blackberry Buttermilk Cake with White Chocolate Mousse. OMG SO YUMMY!!!!

I'd love the recipe for this cake and the fondant!! Thanks for posting this. I've only made MMF--time for me to branch out, too!

CakesByLJ  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokesgirl

Confession: I made a bunch of the Mousse and I ate soo much. And I put a HUGE dollop in my coffee this morning. icon_lol.gif

Now your talkin" thumbs_up.gif Blackberries and white chocolate... a match made in heaven.. move over chocolate covered strawberries.. drop a big plump blackberry into some white chocolate.. that will wake up your taste buds... yummmmy
I would love the recipe for that cake... icon_biggrin.gif

saap1204  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 55

I have made both the MMF and Michelle's Foster's fondant. I love Michelle's--easy to make, not as sweet as the MMF. Try that one--you will not be disappointed!

Getus  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 55

So, without a KA mixer, would I be crazy to try it??

No, you do not need a KA mixer to make Michelle Foster's Delicious Fondant! I make it with my Oster stand mixer just fine.

Anyone else have their favorites?

Michelle Foster's is so easy to make and definitely my fav so far.
I must admit, though....I am very curious about Dontz' chocolate fondant. Leaning heavily toward ordering her DVD.
icon_wink.gif

sparklepopz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm
post #16 of 55

I made my own fondant for years before discovering I could buy 20 pound buckets of Satin Ice for 50 bucks. 400 pounds of Satin Ice later and I am still super-happy not having to make my own. icon_biggrin.gif

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #17 of 55

WOW $50. I get mine for $80 plus shipping costs. That comes up to about $100 for me. Where do you buy yours?

sparklepopz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #18 of 55

I buy mine from Into the Oven. Every couple of months they put out a 15% or 20% off coupon and I stock up. Before that, I was buying it locally from Swiss Chalet Fine Foods, a large wholesaler who happens to have a warehouse here in Houston, but it was about $60 a bucket buying it from them.

Here's the order confirmation details from a recent order. Minus the cake drum, it worked out to $53 a bucket. When they put out a 20% off coupon, it's even less. icon_smile.gif

Products
------------------------------------------------------
3 x 20 lb. Dark Chocolate Fondant by Satin Ice (SICF20) = $142.47
1 x Round Foil Cake Drum Silver 12" (CK27-2012) = $2.75
UPS (2 pkg(s) x 35 lbs total) (UPS Ground): $38.53
Discount Coupons:15%: -$21.78
Sub-Total: $145.22
Total: $161.97

Delivery Address
xxx xxx
xxxxx xxxxxxx
Houston, TX 77089
United States

lomikesa  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #19 of 55

I buy my Satin Ice at a local bakery supplier here in Miami $37.99 for 20Lb. the small bucket of colored fondant (5lb) is $15.00.

Lomikesa

slopokesgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 55

Alright, I guess it's time to find a new supplier. icon_smile.gif

Magnum  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I have to make a nine tier cake, wanna make my fondant!!!.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Call me lazy..I really dont wanna!..been there done that, let them eat satin ice.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

can't wait to see that cake icon_biggrin.gif

ILE  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:33pm
post #22 of 55

thank you for posting the links.i'll give it a try.

Price  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:39pm
post #23 of 55

I just made Michelle Foster's fondant for the first time this week. I think it taste much, much better than Satin Ice, but I still like the Satin Ice better for modeling.

imartsy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #24 of 55

I've tried making tons of different fondants - rolled fondant (Winbeckler's recipe), White chocolate fondant, "European fondant", anyway - all sorts of fondant from different recipes - even the MMF. I can't get it to be consistent. And it's usually too "droopy" to make characters out of. I wish Satin Ice wouldn't dry quite so fast and wouldn't crack so much when I try to make bows or anything - but I can't seem to find another fondant that works better.

FromScratch  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #25 of 55

If your fondant is too droopy.. add more PS.. or add some tylose. It will firm it up just fine. I sometimes have to add extra PS to make the consistency right.. but if you make the same recipe over and over you get a feel for when it's right. icon_smile.gif For me it's Michele Foster's fondant with my own tweaks (mostly for flavor). Her recipe as is is still more than wonderful.

tonedna  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklepopz

I made my own fondant for years before discovering I could buy 20 pound buckets of Satin Ice for 50 bucks. 400 pounds of Satin Ice later and I am still super-happy not having to make my own. icon_biggrin.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif .. Into the oven too!
Edna

lomikesa  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #27 of 55

Well Satin Ice just when up to $41.00 in my local bakery supplyer, but I am not complaining, thats better than $80.00 or $50.00

Lomikesa

GrandmaG  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #28 of 55

I love Michelle Foster's fondant. For someone that mostly hobby bakes, like me, it's great! But when it comes to black or red I buy Satin Ice. I would like someone to tell me how to get homemade fondant that dark without changing the consistency.

Suebee  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:34pm
post #29 of 55

I like Satin Ice. If have tried at least 5 recipes of homemade fondant, it's a mess and it never comes out great. It's tears, stretches and doesn't hold up for figures. If you have a recipe that works as well as Satin Ice please tell me I'll try it.

Suebee  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:38pm
post #30 of 55

Lomikesa, where do you live. I pick up Satin Ice at a supplier outside of Phila and pay $60 for a 20lb bucket. It's convenient because I visit my daughter who lives 15 min away, but she will be moving next year and we will need to get it somewhere else. I don't want to think about having it shipped. $$$ Yikes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%