How To Use Gumpaste

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm by Sweet_Guys

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hi
I just bought some Gum Paste Mix from Wiltons and I was wondering how to mix it with fondant. It does not say so on the can but I know some of you ladies mix 50/50 gumpast and fondant together. Could someone please tell me how to do this.
Do you first make your MMF then make a little gumpast up and THEN mix the two together???
Please any help on this issue or tips or ideas would be grand.
S.K icon_smile.gif

5 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 6

I think most people mix the two products together. Mix the gumpaste up first according to instructions. You can add tylose pdr. to fondant to make a product that will harden more than plain fondant, if that is what you are looking for.

Jen icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 6

Make the gp & fondant separately then mix them together in the amounts you want.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 6

And one thing we've learned is that they call it a 50/50 mix. However, since you can approximate it by how much of each material you pull out from the containers, don't worry about it being exactly 50/50. Unless you are super-oober specific about it and weight it out exactly.

HTH

Paul & Peter

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:00am
post #5 of 6

I have been wanting to try gumpaste mixed with fondant but have been scared I would mess it up. So if I just take a little of the fondant out and then about the same about of the gumpasted and mix it, it should turn out? I don't have to do an entire recipe, correct?

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 6

Correct...Just take out roughly equal portions and knead together....We view working with gumpaste, fondant, 50/50 as adult play....The kids have playdough and we have SUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%