Sheet Cakes

Business By buttercreammgt Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 1:27pm by Deb_

buttercreammgt Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 14

I sometimes get calls for a small two teir cake with lots of sheet cakes. I always ask first how many people will be attending and the responce I get is about 200 or more. I proceed to tell them that a two teir cake is not an appropriate size for that number of guests. I usually do not take these orders because I don't want to get stuck making a ton of sheet cakes that no one will see. I started making wedding cakes so I can make WEDDING CAKES! How do you guys handle these calls do you take the orders reguardless of how many sheet cakes they order. I personally have a two sheet cake limit for every wedding. Just wanted your thoughts.

13 replies
CakesByJen2 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 14

I totally agree,I got into wedding cakes to make big, beautiful wedding cakes! Plus I think it's a lot more work to make a tiny 2 or 3 tiered cake, plus a bunch of sheet cakes, and they take up more space, versus making the same number of servings in a large 3 or 4 tiered cake. I set a minimum order before sheetcakes can be added, and I don't do actual sheet cakes, but layered cakes that will slice to look just like the main cake. I require a minimum of 150 servings in the tiered cake before kitchen cakes are an option.

FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 14

I don't offer sheets (single layer no filling).. I do offer kitchen cakes (undecorated tiers that are the same as your wedding cake on the inside) but you must order at least 100 servings of wedding cake (though I think I am upping that this year). They are only discounted $1/serving too. When people find out they will only be saving $50 they usually just opt for a bigger wedding cake.

Deb_ Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 14

I do the same as jeanne........undecorated tiers to be kept in the "kitchen". I rarely get requests for "sheet cakes", thank goodness.

Usually the only reason I make a kitchen cake is because their original design doesn't always feed enough, and they're unwilling to add another tier to their choice. I charge the same price per serving for a kitchen cake, because it's the same fresh baked and filled and iced cake. The only thing it doesn't have is either the scroll work, ribbon, piping etc., on it.

Maybe if you make your policy a 1 sheet cake limit per wedding and charge a bit more than you are now for your sheet cakes, they'll shy away from ordering them.

I think these clients you describe are all reading those dreaded articles on "How to save money on your Wedding cake". icon_rolleyes.gif They see the price of sheet cakes at BJ's and Sam's club and think, hey we can feed a lot of people cake for real cheap!

KoryAK Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 14

I do the same as jkalman (100 minimum in centerpiece before kitchen cakes) and don't have a limit of how much KC you can get. My tiered cakes start at $7.25/ps and kitchen ones are a flat $3.50/ps so it can be a significant savings for them if they have a large wedding. Most weddings around here are 100 ppl tho so we don't do a lot of them icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I do the same as jkalman (100 minimum in centerpiece before kitchen cakes) and don't have a limit of how much KC you can get. My tiered cakes start at $7.25/ps and kitchen ones are a flat $3.50/ps so it can be a significant savings for them if they have a large wedding. Most weddings around here are 100 ppl tho so we don't do a lot of them icon_smile.gif

Wow koryAK that's a huge price difference. Aren't your "kitchen cakes" the same cake, filling and icing that the tiered cake is?

If so, why would you make the same tier for less than half the price? The only difference is they are not stacked on top of one another, right?

I would think this encourages people to purchase the minimum tiered cake and order more kitchen cakes, since they are less than half the price for the same cake.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what your kitchen cakes are. Although, you said they were like jkalmans.....hers are like the tiers in the actual wedding cake.

KoryAK Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 14

Yep they are the same inside, but not decorated at all. Not even borders or a pretty foil base. Its closely in line with my party cake prices.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercreammgt

How do you guys handle these calls do you take the orders reguardless of how many sheet cakes they order.

I 'handle' it by not doing sheet or kitchen cakes. Period. Cuts any problems with pricing or design questions right off at the knee! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 14

I don't even own sheet pans.....never will!

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I think these clients you describe are all reading those dreaded articles on "How to save money on your Wedding cake". icon_rolleyes.gif They see the price of sheet cakes at BJ's and Sam's club and think, hey we can feed a lot of people cake for real cheap!

Ugh...true.

FlowerGirlMN Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 14

I charge the same basic price for kitchen cakes as I do for regular wedding cakes. I don't up charge if the wedding cake has additional decoration.

I do NOT do sheet cake. Ew.

milissasmom Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 14

I don't offer kitchen cakes at all...my sheet cake pricing is the SAME as my tiered cakes icon_smile.gif This way, I scare them away from ever thinking that they can get away with paying less. NOPE...I don't waste my time. Now if you want to pay 6 or 7 bucks a serving for sheetcake, by all means...Go right ahead. But you don't get a deal on sheet cakes. I would imagine if I did do Kitchen Cakes, I would not discount those by much at all. I believe in working smarter and not creating extra work for myself.

FromScratch Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 14

The only thing I use my sheet pans for are base shapes for 3-D cakes and cutting out minis. Other than that.. they are lonely pans. icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

This way, I scare them away from ever thinking that they can get away with paying less. NOPE...I don't waste my time. Now if you want to pay 6 or 7 bucks a serving for sheetcake, by all means...Go right ahead. But you don't get a deal on sheet cakes. I would imagine if I did do Kitchen Cakes, I would not discount those by much at all. I believe in working smarter and not creating extra work for myself.

I like the way you think cake sista!

I too, don't understand making the same torted, filled, iced but undecorated tier and charging half the price for it. Pretty foil lined boards and a little piping or border don't cost me 3 or 4 dollars a serving icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif AND most important, it only encourages the client to order more kitchen cakes at half the cost.

I will only do 1 kitchen cake per wedding, if they need more servings, than they order a larger wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%