Chocolate Question

Sugar Work By shanasweets Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm by MYCHEFTX

shanasweets Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:37am
post #1 of 6

I use candy melts most of the time for decorating my cake balls or chocolate transfers. Usually wilton, although I will problably change when I have used up my supply. My house is kept at aobut 70 degree and may be the problem. But when I melt in microwave and then I am decorating, my chocolate is getting hard and stiff within a couple min. This is whole time it has been in my hand with we working it thru the disposable bag. Happens with the white worse of all. Any advice on keeping it smooth and melted until I get it on the items.

5 replies
Imapirate Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 6

There is no real secret although 2 minutes is a pretty small window. You can microwave the bag periodically so it stays warmer.

Or heat the chocolate up hotter than you currently are then add some alcohol so it is the right thickness at that temp. This will buy you a bit more time.

And the last suggestion is to learn how to make your own pastry bags out of parchment. You can make them smaller and keep the rest of your chocolate melted while you are working. Then it just takes a quick second to start a new one.

CandyLady Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 6

how about covering heating pad with several layers of paper towels and lay bag on it to keep it warm...too much heating will make your candy dull.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 6

I realy do not like woring with wiltons. I prefer Candy Maker brand that i get at hobby lobby or merkins. WIth candy maker you get more for the same price as wilton

mbt4955 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 6

This requires some $$, but I have three of the Wilton melting pots and I love them. There are two temperatures, so you can turn them down to warm once the chocolate is melted. I usually transfer it into squeeze bottles and just nuke them for about 10 seconds when they start to cool off.

MYCHEFTX Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 6

Candy melts dont use coco butter so they dont need tempering so you could add more fat to thin out and give you more working time. Look on the bag and see what type of fat is being used. Most artificial chocolates use palm or coconut oil. You could probabaly try thining with a good flavorless oil in a pinch with out any bad results.

Hope this helps,
Cindy icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%