Buttercream Too Sweet...??

Decorating By Briniga Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 1:34am by GI

Briniga Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:38am
post #1 of 23

How can I get the buttercream not to be so sweet? Made a cake that was chocolate cake with bc filling & icing, I ate some, it was too sweet & some other people said the same thing, what can I do? Thanks

22 replies
tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:50am
post #2 of 23

You can add a pinch of salt to cut on the sweetness, but is supposed to be sweet. You can change your filling for something else so you dont have so much buttercream in your cake.

Frankyola Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:53am
post #3 of 23

When I need something that is not too sweet I use this:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605.html

It is so yummy!! creamy and tasty!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I hope this can help you!!!

auntiecake Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:59am
post #4 of 23

A small of lemon juice will help also. Salt is good too!

indydebi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:38am
post #5 of 23

I've never understood the "it's too sweet" thing. It's made of SUGAR, people! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

Folks tell me mine isn't as sweet. I have no idea why. Maybe it's the dream whip that does it. icon_confused.gif

It's sugar.

chutzpah Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:48am
post #6 of 23

SMBC is lovely and not too sweet. Personally, I thinnk powdered usgar icings are grossly sweet (not to mention gritty).

4kids Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 23

Sometimes it's the combination of the cake and the icing. I like to use cream cheese frostings with chocolate cake. I don't know why but BC with chocolate can be overpowering. You may just want to experiment with some different recipes. Not all BC's are equal!

kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 23

Indydebi said: I've never understood the "it's too sweet" thing. It's made of SUGAR, people!..........

OOOOOHHHHHHHH how I agree w/you!!!!!

tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've never understood the "it's too sweet" thing. It's made of SUGAR, people! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

Folks tell me mine isn't as sweet. I have no idea why. Maybe it's the dream whip that does it. icon_confused.gif

It's sugar.

I dont think is the dream whip, I think is cause we like sugar! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mamacc Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 23

Salted butter!

cvoges Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 23

Definitely give the smbc a try! I made a batch last night, and found it to be super easy to and more palatable than any of the American buttercreams that I've tried. After the first bite, I thought, "My Lord, I may never have to sift confectioners sugar again."

Mencked Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 23

You can also replace some of the PS in BC with cornstarch to cut the sweet.

cakeschmake Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 23

I finally tried Indydebi's buttercream recipe today with Dream Whip and noticed that it is not as sweet as the Wilton style buttercream that I used to make, and thank goodness!!!!!
Ive tried the SMBC and didnt like it near as much. It's all personal preference, of course.
I agree, it's sugar and it's supposed to be sweet, but I have to say that Indydebi's recipe is just enough sweetness for me without being too much. (thanks by the way indydebi icon_smile.gif )

Deb_ Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 23

BC is sweet, I agree. However having said that, I notice using salted butter and adding 8oz of cream cheese to every 4lb recipe helps to cut down on the sweetness.
I cream the butter with the cream cheese, flavorings and heavy cream on 6 in my KA for at least 10 minutes before adding the ps to it. Than I turn it down to 3 or 4 and forget about it for a while, (let it mix maybe 15 min). It's very creamy, not gritty, not "overly" sweet, and it still crusts well.

HTH

P.S. I experimented with SMBC back in October. I was very successful in the execution, thanks to jkalman's great advice and help. I LOVED the taste of it, it was a nice change from BC.

However, my biggest critics, DH, DD, and DS did NOT like the texture (too slippery, was their description) and they felt like it tasted like "butter" on the cake. The cake was for my SIL's mother's Birthday. She told me to make whatever I wanted to make, so seeing her Mom is diabetic I figured reg. BC would be too sweet. This was what made me try the SMBC. I added quite a bit of good quality pure vanilla extract, but they still did not like it.

My SIL said "it was good, but, we prefer your other frosting". UGH!! I was really hoping for a more positive reaction, because I really liked the SMBC!

GI Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

You can also replace some of the PS in BC with cornstarch to cut the sweet.

Is it an approximate replacement, or an equal amount? I'm curious. Never tried this before. Or say 1/3 C. PS for 1/3C Cornstarch?

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

lindambc Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:53pm
post #16 of 23

I tried the Buttercream Dream recipe, found here on CC, and it was wonderful. Not very sweet either but still very buttercream.

HTH

Mencked Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #17 of 23

GI Yes replace for instance 1/3 C PS with 1/3 C Cornstarch.

mclaren Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:58am
post #18 of 23

i'm one of those having problems with BC that is deemed too sweet by my customers. they always came back telling me, "we love your cake, but can you cut down on the sweetness of the BC?".

it really bothers me.

may i know, subbing some PS with cornstarch, will there be any 'floury' taste at all? let's say my recipe is 1 cup butter, 2 cups PS, how much cornstarch can i add to (and reduce the PS from) the batch before making it taste 'floury'?

TIA!!

Deb_ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:29pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

may i know, subbing some PS with cornstarch, will there be any 'floury' taste at all? let's say my recipe is 1 cup butter, 2 cups PS, how much cornstarch can i add to (and reduce the PS from) the batch before making it taste 'floury'?

TIA!!

I was wondering the same thing. Doesn't powdered sugar already contain some cornstarch? I was under the impression that it was ground together with it.

kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #20 of 23

Almost all ps in the US has 2% (or is it 3?) cornstarch.

Mencked Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:57pm
post #21 of 23

Exactly! Most PS has cornstarch in it already. I've not ever replaced more than 1/3 C per 2 lb. bag, so I can't comment on when or if a floury taste happens after that amt. is added.

TOMAY Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #22 of 23

Salt is your friend in case like this I have used up to a TBLS of Salt mixed with water for a 5qt batch. Start slow with a Tsp . taste and repeat if needed.

GI Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:34am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

GI Yes replace for instance 1/3 C PS with 1/3 C Cornstarch.

Thanks. Sorry didn't respond sooner, having brain problems. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%