Icing Question... What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By Butterpatty Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm by mamacc

Butterpatty Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:32am
post #1 of 15

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but every batch of icing I have tried making is coming out gritty. I have tried several of the recommended ones here and I am so frustrated. I have tried beating more, beating less, sifting the powdered sugar and about everything I see people recommending here. What can I do to fix this? I don't want to go back to buying pre-prepared OR do I icon_cry.gif ?

14 replies
Frankyola Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:48am
post #2 of 15

This is what I use and I love it, here you are going to find a lot answers about SMBC it is soooo good

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605.html

I also use indydebi's buttercream and everybody looooove it, it is amazing, it is my favorite. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I hope this can help you

Frankyola Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:50am
post #3 of 15
chrissy410 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:08am
post #4 of 15

you also can try sugar shack's buttercream recipe on this website. It is super smooth!

kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 15

.......try sugar shack's buttercream.........

Couldn't agree moreicon_smile.gif
What brand of pwdr sugar are you using? Brands do make a difference. Recommended: Domino's or C&H

What kind of mixer are you using? It may not be powerful enough.

rocketmom1985 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 15

I just had this happen to me using the sugarshack recipe. I found out it wasn't anything I did, or the recipe I used...it was the powdered sugar. I used Great Value PS from Walmart...first problem I have had with grittiness. I was advised that sometimes you get a "bad" batch of ps. I am saving this 5lb disaster to practice with. Try a different brand of sugar and do a small test batch. Sorry this happened to you, but from the response I had, it has happened to many expereinced decorators.

sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 15

What grade of sugar are you using? When I use 6x Domino sugar (purchased in 25 & 50 pound bags), my shortening-based buttercream has a little grit to it, but I find that to be typical of many shortening-based bakery icings, so I'm not worried about it.

When I use 10x powdered sugar (which is a finer grain than 6x), there is no grittiness.

I really don't see how anyone could get a "bad" batch of powdered sugar.

cakedivamommy Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 15

I totally agree with the pp about not using the great value (Wal-Mart) brand PS. The first time I made BC I used GV brand and it came out super gritty. I tried again with GV thinking I had gotten a "bad batch" as I had read in posts here and it came out gritty again. I now only use Domino 10x and my BC comes out smooth every time. I also found out through trial and error that the GV shortening does work best in my BC icing, when I am not using high ration. When comparing it to Crisco brand it had a higher fat content so maybe that is why. Good Luck and try again!

What brand of PS are you using?

mamacc Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 15

You can also try adding more fat to the recipe if it's not the PS.

Butterpatty Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:38am
post #10 of 15

Thanks, ladies, for your replies! I am using Domino's powdered sugar (not sure about what "x" it is). I have a KA 4.5 quart. My sweet husband bought me a new paddle thingie -so technical, huh?- for it at Christmas. He popped onto here and searched the forums for a Christmas gift idea and saw someone recommending this blade that scrapes the sides and bottom better. Silly question - can I put SS's recipe in a 4.5 quart mixer? TIA.

JanH Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:35am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterpatty

Silly question - can I put SS's recipe in a 4.5 quart mixer? TIA.

Sure, just be sure to scale it to fit your mixer's bowl. icon_smile.gif

Here's a thread on just that topic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-598821-.html

HTH

sayhellojana Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:48am
post #12 of 15

Try IMBC or SMBC. No powdered sugar, less sweetness and the icing melts in your mouth. I use "classic Vanilla Buttercream" from food network and love it.

JessDesserts Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #13 of 15

im so happy you asked this question, Ive been having problems lately.

I will read the threads about scaling sugarshacks BC.

Ive been baking for years and only recently started to focus ( or become interested) on decorating. I would give anything to be able to whip up a batch of super smooth BC. ( not IMBC, I havent tried to tackle that as of yet)

I plan to do a lot of experimenting this week. I know its not my PS or my mixer, so it must be me icon_cry.gif

sayhellojana Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:00am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

not IMBC, I havent tried to tackle that as of yet)

Really, you shouldn't be scared of IMBC. If I can make it, you can. I honestly think it's easier to make than smooth powdered sugar buttercream. So long as you have a good mixer, you can't mess up too bad.

mamacc Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

not IMBC, I havent tried to tackle that as of yet)

Really, you shouldn't be scared of IMBC. If I can make it, you can. I honestly think it's easier to make than smooth powdered sugar buttercream. So long as you have a good mixer, you can't mess up too bad.

I agree...it's really not that bad. The first time I made IMBC was at my PT using a 60 qt mixer!!! Boy was I scared about messing up such a big batch too, but it turned out perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%