Questions Regarding Marshmallow Fondant.

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 6:28am by luv2cook721

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #1 of 21

I have a couple of questions regarding MMF. I have used it a couple of times and it seemed somewhat dry and had some surface fissures in a few places. I tried adding a bit of water and kneading it, but it still seemed a bit dry, is this normal? I haven't tried any other fondant so I don't know how it compares, but I have been told taste wise it is the only way to go.

Also, how long will the leftovers last? I have more cakes to do in a few weeks, and read on one site it keeps well for "weeks" but does that mean 2 weeks, 12 weeks or what?

How do you get it smooth at the bottom of the cake, mine was all wrinkled up because there was more than was needed to go around.

I look forward to the advice you have to offer. icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:47am
post #2 of 21

I don't like MMF because I can never get it to turn out the same way each time... I use another recipe from this site. BUT..... I can tell you that it sounds like the MMF is too dry. You don't want to add water, you would want to knead in some crisco I would think.

I always lift my cake off the table when covering it. I will put my cake up on top of something.. an empty bucket or something so that the fondant will drape down and I can cut it easy. If it is a large layer, you might have too much fondant at the bottom, which causes it to be a bit harder to work. I just started on one side and work my way around.

Keep your fondant wrapped in saran and then in a large baggie and it should keep for many weeks. Your two week period you talk about should be just fine. I have kept mine for a month or longer and it is fine.

good luck !!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:52am
post #3 of 21

Please #1 Never!! add water just add glycerin little by little I always do that and it work for me. I sounds like you add to much sugar and it is dry, It is not normal you can see my pictures and the football and hat cake it is MMF, I recommend to use Ronda's MMF or Michele's Foster fondant it is amazing, delicious and easy to work with. icon_wink.gif

#2 I usually keep my MMF for two weeks in the fridge and it is fine.

#3 to smooth the edges I use the wilton smother and the cut with the pizza cutter. thumbs_up.gif

I hope this can help you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:54am
post #4 of 21

I used to use only MMF also, but let me tell you that taste-wise it is NOT the only way to go! The taste and texture of Michele Foster's fondant is superior. You will find it s much easier to work with...it doesn't tear as easily. It will change you mind about MMF! It's easy to make, too! Try it, you'll like it! icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-0-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:09am
post #5 of 21

Ok,
I use both MMF and MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant aka sugarflowers) MMF is cheaper and easier to make, but MFF tastes WAY better. I mean, I eat MFF plain. Now, I use Rhonda's Ultimate Marshmallow fondant recipe and it's much better than most (I also add 1t. butter flavor) other recipes. However, ignore the amount of ps it calls for. It's wrong for some reason because I almost never use more than half a 2lb bag of ps.
If it's dry, kneed in crisco or corn syrup or glycerine little by little.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:27am
post #6 of 21

There are some good tutorials around for smoothing, so you can get a visual on how they smooth from the top down and then adhere the sides before trimming. Some people elevate their cake so that the excess hangs straight down before trimming but that can be tricky with MMF as it can stretch and tear (ask me how I know this).

Here's a video from Satin Ice: http://atecousa.net/dev/learn/satin-ice-tutorial-i-icing-your-cake.html . Super helpful. Or one from our very own Aine2

" rel="nofollow">

I never have dry fondant when I use Rhonda's MFF recipe here in the recipes section. If you are willing to venture away from marshmallows, the recommendation to try Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant (also here in the recipe section) is solid.

But to address another part of your post, actually it does not HAVE to be homemade to taste good. What it HAS to be is: NOT Wilton!! Lol. That stuff isn't fit for dogs (but it's great for modeling if you're darned sure the figure won't get eaten) SatinIce is wildly popular, Choco-Pan tastes great (but a little harder to work with), some people like Pettinice, others prefer Fondex or Fondarific...there are lots of popular brands.

MMF is indeed softer than a lot of these, that can be good or bad. Premade is a real timesaver but surely more expensive especially since it is hard to find locally, and even when you can buy it at a good price online, shipping will kill you (unless you are buying in bulk or buy lots of other stuff to absorb the shipping cost). Plus of course if you run out...you're SOL. If you run out of homemade...make more!

As for leftovers, you want to form it into a ball and lube it up with crisco, then wrap it in plastic wrap...twice...then into a ziploc. MMF is good for at least a month, maybe more. Ziploc has these new vacuum bags, they work pretty well to help ensure you got all the air out, my fondnat seems to be lasting longer as a result.

sayhellojana Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:17am
post #7 of 21

adding to what ceshell said - I've tried fondarific (ordered sample pack from their website) and it tasted pretty good compared to satin ice (smells like play-dough) and they offer a ton of flavors and colors, BUT, it's very very expensive. My philosophy is, if I can make a batch of fondant for $5, why should I pay tripple that plus shipping for a product that still tastes mildly of chemicals?

dare2bloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dare2bloved Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:36am
post #8 of 21

bump

luv2cook721 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 21

thanks for all the great advice. I will try them out.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 21

Does anyone know that when adding the gelatin in if this is where you can flavor your MFF? Or is the flavoring through the extracts?

Paul & Peter

Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 21

We just realized our question wasn't totally worded correctly....What we mean is: Can we use flavored gelatin (like lemon if we wanted lemon flavored fondant)? Or would we have to use lemon extract with plain gelatin?

Paul & Peter

sayhellojana Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 21

Sweet_Guys -
I haven't seen a MMF recipe that calls for gelatin...maybe you got it confused with glycerine? Although I do know that there are jello fondant recipe's out there. If you try one, let us know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:08pm
post #13 of 21

Michele Foster's fondant recipe uses gelatin. I've never thought to substitute Jello for the plain gelatin. I"m wondering how you would match up the correct amounts to ensure you added the equivalent of "x" packets of plain gelatin to your mix. I.e. how many "packets of gelatin" are in a pack of Jello? If you can figure that out I suppose it might work...? I mean, what are the other ingredients in Jello...just food coloring and sugar?

Sweet_Guys Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 21

In Michele's recipe that Renaejrk posted, it calls for 3 packs (6 tsp) gelatin...We're guessing, then, that we could use 6 tsp of the flavored gelatin...We might just try this out today.

Sayhello---That posting was MFF (Michelle Foster's Fondant) as opposed to MMF (MarshMallow Fondant)...Got to love it when all of our fellow CC'ers come up with abbreviations that are so similar!

Paul & Peter

luv2cook721 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:27pm
post #15 of 21

I worked some glycerin into the leftover fondant and it made a world of difference! The fondant was much more pliable (but also much stickier). I didn't try rolling it out last night, but may do that tonight.

Should I be keeping it in the fridge, or is on the counter ok? None of the ingredients require refrigeration and I don't have lots of room in there.

sayhellojana Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 21

Oh sorry- my bad! I've seen this question asked to her before and no, you cannot use flavored because it has a lot of things in it besides gelatin (color, flavoring) and would mess up the recipe. I have seen recipes on this site for Jello fondant though. If you happen to try one - let me know how it comes out for you!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:14pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

How do you get it smooth at the bottom of the cake, mine was all wrinkled up because there was more than was needed to go around.

I've had problems with that, too. I think in my situation it happened because my top layer was larger (not on purpose!) than the lower layer and it just didn't lay right. It seemed pleated almost when you got to the bottom. I didn't really know what to do. It wasn't a cake for anyone in particular and so I just kind of trimmed it vertically taking some of it out and tried to smooth it together. Hint: didn't work well.

I watched Aine's video. Everything looks so darn easy in videoland!

Lisa

ceshell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:13am
post #18 of 21

luv2cook, you don't need to refrigerate fondant! Just be sure to wrap it well.

luv2cook721 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:36am
post #19 of 21

I was wondering if trimming some out would work, thanks for sharing your difficulties. I think the top layers of my cake were also bigger and I thought that was contributing to the problem. I think the dryness of the fondant was also a part of the problem.

sayhellojana Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #20 of 21

What I do is put all my cakes on a cake cardboard the same size as the cake, then put waxed paper under it on the turntable while I ice it and whatnot. I put the fondant on and smooth it down, then use the waxed paper to lift the cake up by the cardboard and push the fondant under the cake cardboard. The fondant will attach itself and rip. This way - no folds or icing leaking out.
that sounds really compicated, sorry. It's not though - promise

luv2cook721 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:28am
post #21 of 21

Thanks Sayhellojana, that makes sense and I will give it a try when I have a chance. My next few probably won't be covered in fondant so I will have to remember your suggestion. I really appreciate all the advice from everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%