Fondant Buckling. How To Prevent It?

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm by sugarshack

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:22am
post #1 of 7

Hi. I saw buckling on my fondant cake. It was near the bottom of the cake. Why does it do this? And how do I prevent it? Thanks in advance.

6 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 7

could be you need firmer cake, a stiffer dam, or possibly a different fondant. thats a very frustrating problem.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:36am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

could be you need firmer cake, a stiffer dam, or possibly a different fondant. thats a very frustrating problem.

Thanks for your response. I used Satin Ice fondant. A dam can make this happen?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 7

I would try a different fondant. I never have that problem with chocolate fondant. There are numerous choices out there, just stay away from Wilton.

Jen icon_smile.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 7

i've had buckling on the bottom of my cakes when i didn't trim enough fondant off the bottom. when the cake settled, it caused buckling. at any rate, i make sure to trim the bottom a bit shorter to make up for this...

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveweddings

Quote:

Yes, if you put too much filling than the weight of the fondant compresses it and then buckles. This also happens sometimes if you don't let the cake settle enough before covering in fondant, or if the fondant is way too thick.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveweddings

Quote:

what I meant was, if you use a dam to hold in your filling, if it is not a super stiff consistency, it will squoosh under the weight of the cake and fondant and contribute to buckling.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%