http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-uspb0118,0,7050061.story

what do you think?

47 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 48

note how it says the concern is

N O T

about store brand PB (Jiff, Peter Pan, Skippy, etc.)

aka the stuff you and I buy to make our cakes, cookies, sandwiches, (beauty treatments?)

----

the concern IS about commercial products made from PB supplied in bulk for reprocessing -- hence the recall by Kellogg's of it's Keebler brand crackers.

----

as of now, the PB in the store is safe, but those snack crackers a few aisles over are suspect (and that would include those constantly screaming my name in the snack machine at work!) the sky is no more falling than my weight or waist size is.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 48

Doug, you're a riot. It's good to see the weight monster isn't sexist. I thought women were the only ones attacked by it.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 48

Geeze-how on earth does salmonella even get into peanut butter? I'm thinking raw poultry, eggs...but peanuts and oil?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:13am
post #5 of 48

Doug said: ........as of now, the PB in the store is safe.........

Actually the FDA has come out tonight (sat. Jan 17) and said:

"DO NOT use *any* peanut butter or anything w/any peanut butter product in it - Period!
There have been something 6 deaths already and hundreds sickened.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 48

Wow, Scary! First time I've been thankful for my son's peanut allergy!! icon_smile.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #7 of 48

Good thing I have a big mamma jamma thing of PB in my cupboard that should last. icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:45am
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Doug said: ........as of now, the PB in the store is safe.........

Actually the FDA has come out tonight (sat. Jan 17) and said:

"DO NOT use *any* peanut butter or anything w/any peanut butter product in it - Period!
There have been something 6 deaths already and hundreds sickened.

WRONG!

this was post 14 min by the Associated Press

"FDA urges people to avoid peanut butter products

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press

WASHINGTON Federal health authorities on Saturday urged consumers to avoid eating cookies, cakes, ice cream and other foods that contain peanut butter until authorities can learn more about a deadly outbreak of salmonella contamination.

Most peanut butter sold in jars at supermarkets appears to be safe, said Stephen Sundlof, head of the Food and Drug Administration's food safety center.

"As of now, there is no indication that the major national name-brand jars of peanut butter sold in retails stores are linked to the recall," Sundlof told reporters in a conference call.
[emphasis added]

Officials are focusing on peanut paste, as well as peanut butter, produced at a Blakely, Ga., facility owned by Peanut Corp. of America. Its peanut butter is not sold directly to consumers but distributed to institutions and food companies. But the peanut paste, made from roasted peanuts, is an ingredient in cookies, cakes and other products that people buy in the supermarket. [emphasis added]

"This is an excellent illustration of an ingredient-driven outbreak," said Dr. Robert Tauxe, who oversees foodborne illness investigations for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

So far, more than 470 people have gotten sick in 43 states, and at least 90 had to be hospitalized. At least six deaths are being blamed on the outbreak. Salmonella is a bacteria and the most common source of food poisoning in the U.S., causing diarrhea, cramping and fever.

Officials said new illnesses are still being reported in the outbreak investigation.

The Kellogg Co., which listed Peanut Corp. as one of its suppliers, has recalled 16 products. They include Austin and Keebler branded Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers, and some snack-size packs of Famous Amos Peanut Butter Cookies and Keebler Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies. Health officials said consumers who have bought any of those products should throw them away.

Peanut Corp. has recalled all peanut butter produced at the Georgia plant since Aug. 8 and all peanut paste produced since Sept. 26. The plant passed its last state inspection this summer, but recent tests have found salmonella.

Health officials are focusing on 30 companies out of a total of 85 that received peanut products from the Georgia plant. Sundlof said Peanut Corp. is a relatively small supplier on the national scene.

The Midwest supermaket chain Hy-Vee Inc. of West Des Moines, Iowa, said Saturday it was voluntarily recalling products made in its bakery departments with peanut butter because they had the potential to be contaminated with salmonella. The recall covered seven states: Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Minnesota.

Perry's Ice Cream Co., based in Akron, N.Y., said it was recalling select ice cream products containing peanut butter because of the PCA investigation. Its recall covered New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and Virginia.

The outbreak has triggered a congressional inquiry and renewed calls for reform of food safety laws. For example, the FDA lacks authority to order a recall, and instead must ask companies to voluntarily withdraw products.

"Given the numerous food-borne illness outbreaks over the past several years, it is becoming painfully clear that the current regulatory structure is antiquated and ill-equipped to handle these extensive investigations," said Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., who chairs a panel that oversees the FDA budget.

Seattle-area lawyer William Marler, who specializes in food safety cases, said the government shouldn't wait for the results of more tests to request recalls.

"At least 30 companies purchased peanut butter or paste from a facility with a documented link to a nationwide salmonella outbreak," said Marler. "The FDA has the authority actually, the mandate to request recalls if the public health is threatened. Instead, the FDA has asked the companies to test their products and consider voluntary recalls. It is just not enough."

Health officials in Minnesota and Virginia have linked two deaths each to the outbreak and Idaho has reported one. Four of those five were elderly people, and all had salmonella when they died, although their exact causes of death have not been determined. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the salmonella may have contributed.

An elderly North Carolina man died in November from the same strain of salmonella that's causing the outbreak, officials in that state said Friday.

The CDC said the bacteria behind the outbreak typhimurium is common and not an unusually dangerous strain but that the elderly or those with weakened immune systems are more at risk. "

read carefully!!! and don't jump to confusions

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:05am
post #9 of 48

I could not live without peanut butter. I just bought a new jar. But I buy the Naturally More brand. Good thing they are out of harm. I eat peanut butter everyday. And, my birthday is next wednesday and I'm planing on make me a chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse frosting!!!! yum!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #10 of 48

Do you really want to know how salmonella gets into foods? My guess is probably not, but salmonella is usually communicated when someone goes to the bathroom and doesn't wash their hands and then touches food products. Salmonella is a coliform bacteria that normally resides in the intestinal tract of animals (including humans). Salmonella gets on meats usually when animals are being processed and meat falls into the dicarded bits or it splashes back up onto the meat. Salmonella gets onto spinach and into peanutbutter due to poor hygene.. either human error or in the case of peanuts and other dry goods by rodents. The more processed your foods are the higher the risk. The chances are low.. but there.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #11 of 48

This may be grasping at straws, but do you think any pet treats made with PB would be affected? Because I'm certain they aren't using premium brands to put into dog biscuits, etc. Just wondering........

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariela_ms

I could not live without peanut butter. I just bought a new jar. But I buy the Naturally More brand. Good thing they are out of harm. I eat peanut butter everyday. And, my birthday is next wednesday and I'm planing on make me a chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse frosting!!!! yum!

OMG...you have to tell me waht your peanutbutter mousse frosting is.....PRETTY PLEASE!!! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:46am
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iownajane

Quote:

OMG...you have to tell me waht your peanutbutter mousse frosting is.....PRETTY PLEASE!!! icon_biggrin.gif

yes, please share!!! icon_razz.gif that sounds so mouth watering, i want! lol

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #14 of 48
Quote:

Peanut butter mousse frosting??? That just sounds like a new addiction ready to happen!!! Right now--I'm thinking chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse filling. thumbs_up.gif

Doug Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:55am
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

This may be grasping at straws, but do you think any pet treats made with PB would be affected? Because I'm certain they aren't using premium brands to put into dog biscuits, etc. Just wondering........

good question!

EEEEWWWWWWU --- tho' the images this conjures up! icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:10pm
post #16 of 48

I was just on the jif.com website and they are announcing that their products are not included in the "don't eat PB products" alert. Thank goodness, since I eat Jif on toast every morning.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:35am
post #17 of 48

Here is the recipe!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3073-peanut-butter-mousse.html

Not mine though! I can't wait to try it!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:38am
post #18 of 48

First off thanks to the op for posting. My kids are pb fanatics so this is always good to know.

Second I was just on the FDA's website and they have a list of all items being recalled but say that it is still an ongoing investigation.

This was updated as of Jan 18, here's the link:

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/salmonellatyph.html

Also as for the PB in jars this is what the FDA had to say:

At this time, there is no indication that any national name brand jars of peanut butter sold in retail stores are linked to the PCA recall. As the investigation continues over the weekend, and into next week, the FDA will be able to update the advice based on new sampling and distribution information.

Thanks again.

erc11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erc11 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:41am
post #19 of 48

Looks like pet food paste is on that list...

I wonder if this affects us in Canada at all? It would not really affect my family because we do not buy any processed food, but my step dad is a processed cookie junkie! I should probably forward this on to him...

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:03pm
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by erc11

Looks like pet food paste is on that list...

I wonder if this affects us in Canada at all? It would not really affect my family because we do not buy any processed food, but my step dad is a processed cookie junkie! I should probably forward this on to him...

Hmmm, haven't heard anything about a PB recall in Canada. I'm going to check the government website and see if I can find anything.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:07pm
post #21 of 48

Just found this list from the Canadian Gov website. Its short and not brands that I am familiar with.

http://tinyurl.com/8noa6h

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #22 of 48

Gosh -- I never even knew this was happening. I've had tons of PB in the past couple of days. I never once heard about it on the news. Thanks for the update!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Gosh -- I never even knew this was happening. I've had tons of PB in the past couple of days. I never once heard about it on the news. Thanks for the update!

You know, that's what scares the crud out of me!! This has apparently been going on for some time, and if I hadn't seen someone mention it here in another thread I'd have never known! That is terrible! Something like this should be shouted from the rooftops!

And jkalman... in this situation, ignorance is bliss! Hehehehe. I could've lived a thousand lifetimes without the visuals you just gave me! icon_surprised.gif And the term 'splashing up'... was so disgustingly perfect. Bleugh! icon_lol.gif

wily_kitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wily_kitt Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:33pm
post #24 of 48

Man I bought a TON of kraft Peanut Butter and crackers packages on sale a month ago for my kids, I guess they will be going in the bin *sigh*

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #25 of 48

My son loves PB, he wants PB and J every day for lunch. I checked and the brand I have is ok. Thank god.

mariela_ms..That's my pb mousse recipe, and let me tell you! It's TO DIE FOR!!!!! I eat it out of the fridge with a spoon. Let me tell you ADDICTING!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #26 of 48

I got an email from my daughter's Brownie leader yesterday with a press release from Little Brownie Bakers, who make the Girl Scout Cookies, saying that they are not affected by this recall. So you can still support the kids braving the cold to sell you cookies! Plus, come on, they're DELICIOUS!!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #27 of 48

I saw someone mention that Peter Pan pb is safe....it's not necessarily...see below....check the code.

FDA Warns Consumers Not to Eat Certain Jars of Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Great Value Peanut Butter
Product May be Contaminated With Salmonella
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111." Both the Peter Pan and Great Value brands are manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers is not affected.

If consumers have any of this Peter Pan or Great Value brand peanut butter in their home that has been purchased since May 2006, they should discard it.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I saw someone mention that Peter Pan pb is safe....it's not necessarily...see below....check the code.

FDA Warns Consumers Not to Eat Certain Jars of Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Great Value Peanut Butter
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111." Both the Peter Pan and Great Value brands are manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers is not affected.

If consumers have any of this Peter Pan or Great Value brand peanut butter in their home that has been purchased since May 2006, they should discard it.

I think you may have found old info from a recall a year or two ago.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:58pm
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Quote:

You know, that's what scares the crud out of me!! This has apparently been going on for some time, and if I hadn't seen someone mention it here in another thread I'd have never known! That is terrible! Something like this should be shouted from the rooftops!

... has been shouted from the rooftops for nearly a week, now. I first read about it last Thursday. It had been all over the cable news channels and Internet web news sites. Probably got lost in the inagural coverage toward the last half of the weekend and first part of the week.

edited-typo

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:03pm
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I think you may have found old info from a recall a year or two ago.

You're right....it was dated 2007, sorry for the post.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%