Topsy Turvy Question

Decorating By maude Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 3:06pm by mamacc

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 15

I want to try a topsy turvy cake and need guidance. I thought I would use 10, 8, & 6 inch rounds. Will it be okay to do 3 inch cakes and torte each tier or do I need 4 layers of cake for each tier? Does anyone have a fairly simple design to start out with? Thanks

14 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:04am
post #2 of 15

I am working on my first TT right now. I used instructions from Lindy Smith's book "cakes to inspire..." It was pretty easy! I did 2 cakes that were 3 inches and one that was 4. The 3's were easier and look better. I also used a 6, 8, 10. I looked at a bunch online and the one thing that I realized was that they look much better if you trim down the sides also - so the base of a 10 would be 8, the base of the 8 would be 6 and the base of the 6 would be 4.

Trim the top of the cake at an angle and then line up the layers highest point to highest point and lowest to lowest with buttercream in between.

I hope that makes sense and helps you out. I was really scared to hack on my cakes, but they look AWESOME so far!! Ok - off to cover them with fondant.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:05am
post #3 of 15

When the top of the section is 8 inches and the bottom is 6 (for example), how do you keep the fondant smooth and from puckering arond the bottom when going from bigger to smaller?

janelwaters Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:45am
post #4 of 15

work slowly from top to bottom all the way around - meaning smooth the top inch or so all the way around and then go down another inch all the way around and so forth - it will keep it smooth and keep from puckering. you will have to work with it some, but it is well worth it!!

I just finished mine and I am so excited to deliver this cake tomorrow!! I don't think I have ever been this pleased with a cake before!!

I will post pics tomorrow after I set it up at the benefit - but if you have time before you have to make a TT - go get Lindy Smith's book!!! I could not have done it without those instructions!!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 15

Were you just going to use one torted 3" cake for each tier?? That seems a little short to me....especially once you cut the angle. I usually use 3 2" layers for each tier.

It's definetely possible to cover TT cakes without puckering. Rolling the fondant out bigger than you need helps, go slow and let the fondant stretch back. Not too thick, not too thin. Like Janelwaters said, keep going around and around smoothing out the pleats. I like to kind of tap down on those really big pleats that form around the base of the cake. I just finished another TT yesterday so it's fresh in my mindicon_smile.gif

maude Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 15

mamacc, When you use 3 layers on each tier, do you only cut the top layer on an angle? Sounds like a really tall cake. i was just gonna use one 3" layer because I just want to practice making one. Janel waters thanks for the advice, can't wait to see your cake

janelwaters Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:39am
post #7 of 15
maude Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:43am
post #8 of 15

Janelwaters, your cake is lovely, I'm sure your friend loved it, how did you make the numbers and letters?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:48am
post #9 of 15

Oh I love it!

mamacc Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:35am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maude

mamacc, When you use 3 layers on each tier, do you only cut the top layer on an angle? Sounds like a really tall cake. i was just gonna use one 3" layer because I just want to practice making one. Janel waters thanks for the advice, can't wait to see your cake

Yes, I stack the cakes like normal and then cut the angle off the top and then carve the sides in...but not too much. You have to be careful about the side angles unless the cake is really firm. It's definitely pretty tall but not excessively so. Here's an example of one I just did recently:
LL

janelwaters Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:34am
post #11 of 15

maude- the numbers and letters are gumpaste - I printed out the words in a font that I liked and then rolled the gumpaste out and "traced" over the words with it and let it dry and then sprayed it with silver airbrush color.

Thank you so much for your comments!!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:44am
post #12 of 15

mamacc, do you use a diamond cutter for those on the bottom tier?

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:07am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Quote:

Yes, I stack the cakes like normal and then cut the angle off the top and then carve the sides in...but not too much. You have to be careful about the side angles unless the cake is really firm. It's definitely pretty tall but not excessively so. Here's an example of one I just did recently:

Mamacc if you don't mind, I found my B-day cake. Lovely lovely cake. I will be using your design idea for my b-day cake icon_surprised.gif . However, I my favorite colour is yellow.

mamacc Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

mamacc, do you use a diamond cutter for those on the bottom tier?

Yes, I have the ateco diamond cutter set...and I'm glad I got the set instead of just one or two cutters since I've used them a lot.

mamacc Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Quote:

Mamacc if you don't mind, I found my B-day cake. Lovely lovely cake. I will be using your design idea for my b-day cake icon_surprised.gif . However, I my favorite colour is yellow.

Of course I don't mind! Have fun!! I see you have a few months to planicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%