I Want My Chocolate Bc Icing Dark

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm by Deb_

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 19

I have never made chocoate BC icing before, but I am making a cake for a girl at work who wants chocolate. Do I have to use dark chocolate in order to get that nice dark chocolate colored icing? I have a tan colored icing right now. I'm not a chocolate icing fan anyway, so it is hard to even tell if it tastes good. I used alot of Ghirardelli. Even threw in some cocoa powder. Before I throw it out...wanted your opinion.

18 replies
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 19

You can use Hershey's Special Dark cocoa, and it will make your buttercream very dark brown. It's wonderful stuff!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 19

I have used Jibbie's chocolate velvet buttercream recipe and it comes out very, very dark. It tastes good, too. Give it a try. To see what it looks like, look at my pics. The one called "chocolate overdose" - the roses are this recipe. The one called "chocolate roses" which is all the same color, that's this recipe, also. It looks like a very dark suede in person.

Lisa

ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 19

Lisa,
That is exactly the dark color I am looking for. I see pics in the galleries with dark icing but the recipes here don't call for anything different than I just used. Where do I find Jibbie's recipe?

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 19

If you go under recipes and type Jibbie into the search box, it should come up. I would post a link for you, but I'm obviously not that talented to figure out how to do it.

Angie[/url]

ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 19

I had to seach under "submitter" because her recipe doesn't show up when you search for chocolate buttercream frosting. Strange. Anyway...I have it. I'm amazed that on 1/2 c of cocoa will make 2 lbs of powered sugar turn that dark! I attempted to chocolatize IndyDeb's recipe. I have a big batch of tan icing now. Thanks for your help ladies!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 19

This is how I do it..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 19

Hey Edna! I'm on another brink of disaster here! Thanks for the link!

tonedna Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 19

lol...hope it goes well girl!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 19

Glad you found it! I didn't realize until too late that you were having a problem. icon_sad.gif

Anyway, let me know how you like it. icon_smile.gif

Lisa

ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 19

OMG Edna! I just watched your video! I never thought of adding food coloring! I'm such a dork! That's why you get paid the big bucks and this is still a hobby for me! LOL....I had a good tasting chocolate BC...I just didn't like the color! At least I don't have to throw this batch away and I can make Jibbie's next time.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 19

ddaigle: when you click on recipes, in all uppercase appears the word "KEYWORD" then a box. If you type in "jibbies" then hit enter, 2 choices will appear, one for white and one is what you are looking for; dark chocolate.

I think after you clicked recipes, you then clicked search when prompted you to type the name there, with no success ( i just tried both ways)

HTH & GL w your BC

Jess icon_razz.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 19

Hope this works:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7249-Jibbies-Chocolate-Velvet-Buttercream.htm

Lisa

Ok... editing here... it doesn't work! Sorry. I guess searching the member list will suffice.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 19

Over time I've come to realize that I don't like the taste of cocoa powder at all, it's just not a "true" chocolate taste in my opinion. I have exclusively switched to ganache for my chocolate frosting. It is thick and rich and dark in color. I've had nothing but positive feedback on the switch from chocolate BC.

ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 19

dkelly - I have a recipe for a chocolate ganache recipe too that I've been wanting to try. Thing is, it says if you "whip" it, you can use it is frosting. It's a 2 for 1 special! Have you ever whipped your ganache and used as a frosting?

tonedna Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:22pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

OMG Edna! I just watched your video! I never thought of adding food coloring! I'm such a dork! That's why you get paid the big bucks and this is still a hobby for me! LOL....I had a good tasting chocolate BC...I just didn't like the color! At least I don't have to throw this batch away and I can make Jibbie's next time.

Well basically chocolate buttercream works if you want chocolate in your cake. But when I am making a cake for someone that wants a cske with no chocolate on, the smell of the chocolate can be overwhelming.. Chefmaster works well, and wont change the flavor..
Edna thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 19

Yes I have whipped it and it's very delicious whipped. (it actually makes a great filling) However, it lightens in color quite a bit when you whip it........think of chocolate whipped cream, that's the consistency and color it will be. I usually just do a poured ganache for a dark, smooth look.

Deb

ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #18 of 19

Well, maybe I'll just pour some ganche OVER it and then I'll really get that dark look. I saw a picture in the gallery like that. This cake is turning into a huge science project.

Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #19 of 19

LOL..........you can't go wrong with poured ganache, I love the stuff it's delicious. icon_smile.gif

You sound like me a while back, I was experimenting with all different chocolate bc recipes and I just could not get that dark color and flavor that I liked, no matter what grade of chocolate I used. I think it was just the "ultra sweet" taste that turned me off. You don't get that with ganache.

I even tried adding chocolate ganache to my chocolate bc and that was good just not what I was looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%