Tres Leches Cake For A Wedding?

Decorating By gourmetjulie Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm by ddaigle

gourmetjulie Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride asking if it's possible to do a tres leches cake for her wedding. Would this be too heavy? Also not sure how I would fill it--seems that if it's possible, each tier could only be one layer.

Lastly, I'm thinking refrigeration would be an issue.

Has anyone done this? Help!

7 replies
Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 8

I've never done it either for exactly the same reasons you brought up. Is she thinking of a traditional stacked design for her cake?
It may work if the cakes were displayed separately, you know those different level cake stands? That way they don't have to support another tier.

ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 8

I think President' Bush's daughter had this...there is a picture of it somewhere on the started to "shift" for what ever reason. Don't know if all her layers were tres leches...but in the picture, the top layer is shifting. Google it. I'd be scared to death, unless it was just the very top small layer.

JGMB Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 8

I'm not a professional baker, so certainly not an expert, but I have a delicious Tres Leches Cake recipe that you bake in a 10" round pan. It actually comes out pretty tall, then you slather it with a boiled frosting. I don't know if that helps you at all, but I'd gladly send you the recipe.

Also, it freezes really well, even with the frosting on it.

Eisskween Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 8

Just a side note, the secret service wouldn't let the decorator finish the cake because the florist was supposed to, so she was ushered out. The decorator, Mary Jane Ontiveroz, put it best. "Leave the entire cake to the pastry chef!!! Do not have people who cut flowers for a living stick them in your cake.

I sympathize with Ms. Ontiveroz. It was not her fault that it shifted.

Enjoy your day!

ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 8

Thank's "Paul Harvey"..."rest of the story" Eisskweek. They always leave the important things out! THey implied it was the cake. Thanks for the info!

Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 8
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I think President' Bush's daughter had this...there is a picture of it somewhere on the started to "shift" for what ever reason.

Oh that just figures.........another brilliant decision by a member of the Bush family! icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 8

JGMB, I'd love your recipe. I work with a girl from Peru who is always asking me to make her one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%