Q's On Decorating A German Chocolate Cake- Golf Theme

Decorating By evasmama Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 2:07am by katwomen1up

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 3

I have an idea for an upcoming birthday cake for my dad. He requested German chocolate. He's sharing this cake with a couple of my uncles who also have birthdays in January/February. They all like golf, and I have an idea in my head for a cake.

My cake would be a 2-layer 9" round German chocolate cake, covered in the traditional coconut-pecan frosting.

Ideally, part of the frosting would be covered in turbinado sugar to look like a sand trap. I'm thinking I'd carve out a little bit of cake to make a sunken area, like a real sand trap.

Another part of the frosting would be the area around the golf hole, with the frosting tinted green and applied so as to use the coconut as the grassy texture of the rough.

I'd make a buttercream plaque for the smooth grass around the hole itself.

I've never done any kind of decorating except with plain white BC. Do you think this would work out OK?

The coconut-pecan frosting is a golden brown. What's the best way to get it looking green? Should I tint the coconut before mixing into the frosting, and then tint the whole batch of frosting as well?

Any other ideas or recommendations? TFL!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 3

I don't think you will get a very nice looking green. Why not use your b'cream just for that part?

Usually when I have done GCC I use the coconut pecan as the filling then ice & decorate w/b'cream. I always explain this it customer and so far they have all be o.k. w/it.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 3

I agree with kakeladi, the brown frosting won't turn green it will probably look like mud.

Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%