Decorating By cvoges Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm by Ayanami

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Oh, one other thing Nique- tell her you do not have time to do a tasting with only a week's notice on the cake. Sounds like this one is going to drive you crazy.

Amen to that. Tell her she can do a 'tasting' at the party when she buys the cake. I wish people would pull that at the grocery store! A tasting for a birthday or shower cake my fanny! Give me a break. If you want to taste my cake, buy a small one.

Why don't you tell her you'll save some leftovers from little Jimmy's (your last client) Birthday cake if she wants to taste test! Oh, I'm so mean . . . tapedshut.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:01am
post #32 of 79

Ok--all of you who are being taken advantage of....1st thing on your Christmas list this year had better be a "backbone".

The only way that people can step all over you is if you lay down first!
Stand up to these people. A choo-choo cake??? In addition to a castle cake??? Tough love that family member...tell her a castle cake is all you have time for--take it or leave it!

Sorry to be so harsh, but come on! As long as you keep allowing these people to do this to you, they will!

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:20am
post #33 of 79

Mac, you are right..... totally!! and I guess what it is for me is that I know my cakes are not professional quality so I feel I don't have the right to charge. I see all of you amazing creators and I think "I'm so far from that." I'm self taught and feel very self conscious about my work.

And you are right about the choo choo cake too....I was so blown away at the nerve and I could hear my niece saying "choo choo" yeah.... shes only turning 3 so I feel terrible saying no.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #34 of 79

"She wants a choo-choo cake this year."
"Sounds great! Who are you going to get to make it?" icon_rolleyes.gif

"We don't have much money ... can you do it free or discounted?"
"We don't have much money either ... that's why we don't discount."

"I can't afford to actual, like you know, PAY for this cake. Gosh, everything costs so dang much these days!"
"You're right .. that's why I can't afford to buy the very same things YOU'D have to buy and GIVE it to you for free!"

And I swear to god I had this conversation just this weekend. A young lady asked me if my birthday cakes were cheaper than wedding cakes and I was giving her my speech on why they were the same price. (she wasn't a customer... just a friend). I get to the part about "And you know ... when I buy eggs from my supplier, if I tell them I'm using them for a birthday cake, they don't give me a discount because I'm NOT using them for a wedding cake!"

Her mom was there and said, (I SWEAR I'm not making this up), she actually said, "Well, can't you just not tell them you're using them for a wedding cake?" icon_eek.gif

------------------------------------
If you put a small value upon youself, rest assured that the world will
not raise your price.
---Unknown
If no one complains that your price is too high, then you're not charging enough.
----- CC'er classiccakes

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:40am
post #35 of 79

Well Debi, you know those good for nothing WalMart cashiers, alwasy jacking up the price of your eggs when they find out you're doing a wedding cake. Beeeyotches! icon_rolleyes.gif

lolobell Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #36 of 79

Indydebi,
You just made me laugh out loud!!! Thanks! BTW, my football I posted today has your BC on it! I played around with it some and my previous problems are taken care of. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, like I said, I'm not a master like you all BUT due to all of your guys' nudging, i did call my GF a bit ago and told her that if she wants the cake for her son(a race car) it will cost $40 and they will have to meet me 1/2 way...I'm not driving an hour to drop off a cake and then go home again. icon_smile.gif

Know what she said??????? This:
"oh, I'll just go to Sam's then. I can get it for 1/2 that."

And there ya go!!!!!!!

indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:46am
post #37 of 79

Oh I forgot to add one of my top-of-the-list peeves. When people want it for free under the heading of "look at all the advertising you'll get by so many people seeing/eating your food/cake!"

Those very same people will see/eat my food/cake whether it's free or paid for, so I vote for paid for! icon_twisted.gif

And Melvira, I guess when *I* buy *my* eggs, the price of those don't go up every single day like the eggs everyone else is buying, huh?

indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:51am
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobell

....and told her that if she wants the cake for her son(a race car) it will cost $40 ......Know what she said??????? This: "oh, I'll just go to Sam's then. I can get it for 1/2 that."

Yeah.... I wanna SEE her get a race car cake at Walmart, like you were going to make, for only twenty bucks!! icon_confused.gif

"Ohhhhhhh! You wanted "just a cake". Walmart ... Aisle 8 ... knock yourself out."

Melvira Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #39 of 79
Quote:

"oh, I'll just go to Sam's then. I can get it for 1/2 that."

And there ya go!!!!!!!

Ummmm... since when did they start doing race car cakes? I've never seen one there. I've never seen anything but sheets and rounds.

And gee Debi, couldn't you let me in on where you're getting all these practically free eggs? icon_rolleyes.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #40 of 79

I had one friend of a friend ask me to do a topsy turvy cake for 40-50 guests. With all the fancy stuff hanging off it...really cool...totally decked out..lots of colors....oh and they didn't want to spend more than $80-100. They had one other lady they were going to call, but wanted to give me first crack at it. Huh...thanks I guess.

I was nice, I'm always nice. If I'm not willing to do it, then I just say so, no reason to make anyone feel bad. I told her it wasn't really worth my time to do it at that price because it was going to take so many hours....so much for scratch ingredients, but if she wanted a much simpler cake I could probably work it in. She decided to call the other lady. (No problem, I soooo done with doing discounted friend of a friend cakes).

A couple of weeks later I ran into her. "So, how did everything go with the cake?" I ask. "Oh it was ok, the other lady did a topsy turvy SHEET cake." "Really, how did she do that?" I was pretty curious how you do a topsy turvy sheet cake at all, let alone for under $100. "Oh....well, it was just a regular sheet cake, just with topsy turvy colors." (Smile, I didn't know there were "topsy turvy colors".)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:14am
post #41 of 79

[quote="Mac"]If I offer a cake--it's free! If you call me to ask for a cake--it's an order/business transaction! Plain and simple! [\\quote]

Plain and simple! Advice worth it's weight in gold. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:21am
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

"Oh....well, it was just a regular sheet cake, just with topsy turvy colors."

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Crackin' up at that one! Just another example of how they use the lingo and have NO idea what the heck they're talking about!

("Debi ... need a price for a FULL sheet cake ... to serve ten (!) people." Yeah ... that conversation really happened.)

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:30am
post #43 of 79

[quote="lolobell"]Mac, you are right..... totally!! and I guess what it is for me is that I know my cakes are not professional quality so I feel I don't have the right to charge. I see all of you amazing creators and I think "I'm so far from that." I'm self taught and feel very self conscious about my work. quote]

I think this is the problem I've been having too!!! Although my cakes always taste good, I know they don't always look professional, and that makes me not want to charge what it would be worth if one of you did it sometimes, but I guess I'll never get my business off the ground if I don't charge for my ingredients and time. I'm self taught too, which is the biggest reason why I try to give a break on the price, but I got super frustrated with this lady adding all those extras!!! Thanks for all the advice, and I'm over here LMAO at some of these posts. No matter the situation, I can always rely on you guys to make me feel better!!!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:49am
post #44 of 79

All y'all who are grossly undercharging and then actually COMPLAINING about it, step right up.

Y'all need a real good bitch-slap and a backbone.

HAVE TO????? I mean, who says you HAVE to? Seriously folks. If you continue to see yourselves as doormats so will everyone else.

Why are you choosing to have people treat you this way?

I'm really angry at y'all now.

Niquie Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:07am
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

All y'all who are grossly undercharging and then actually COMPLAINING about it, step right up.

Y'all need a real good bitch-slap and a backbone.

HAVE TO????? I mean, who says you HAVE to? Seriously folks. If you continue to see yourselves as dorrmats so will everyone else.

Why are you choosing to have people treat you this way?

I'm really angry at y'all now.

We all need a good bitch-slap every now and then, LOL!!!! But I don't really think I was complaining. I was actually asking for help about the situation I am currently in. I am well aware that I don't charge as much as I should for a cake, but at the same time I didn't know how to handle all the extras that were placed in front of me and know that she still expects it to be a cheap cake. I just don't want bad publicity already since I am just starting out really.

chutzpah Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:18am
post #46 of 79

I don't really see the 'bad publicity' argument here.

I'll ignore the fact that you grossly undercharged (and undercut your colleagues). BUt, if she wants an upgrade she needs to pay for an upgrade.

If I buy a new car and want fancy stuff on it, do I get it for free?

And a tasting? For a 10-6 cake? Hahahahahaha. No way.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:29am
post #47 of 79

Sheesh...These kind of situations were the reason that I gave up cake decorating several years ago, and have only come back to it in the last year and a half. (My sister was famous for "expecting" special cakes for her kids' birthdays, agreeing to pay for the ingredients, and then when I arrived at the party with cake in had saying, "it can be X's gift". Uhm, what do you think that d*#n Barbie doll is?)

Anyway, I now place an "invoice" of sorts with every cake that I make for friends or as donatations. It details the cost of ingredients, supplies, and my time...including the actual time that I spent on the cake. The final value of the cake is clearly stated, as well as that this cake is a gift/donation. It's gone a long way to helping people understand the expensive and time that I go to provide them with a nice cake. They have been appreciative, in an almost every case I have been reimbursed for the ingredients and have received a resonable tip.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:06am
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquie

I was actually asking for help about the situation I am currently in. I am well aware that I don't charge as much as I should for a cake, but at the same time I didn't know how to handle all the extras that were placed in front of me and know that she still expects it to be a cheap cake. I just don't want bad publicity already since I am just starting out really.

How much could she really say. That you would not let her get the "world" in cake for $30.00? She can still give you bad publicity by saying your cakes are cheap or that you're the equivalent to priceline for cakes. Name your price and tell her what you want.

Being a newbie, it's natural to want every order that comes across your path so that you can start building up your clientele and like you said you want to get your name out there and your business started.

But, if you do not want to tell her that what she is requesting will cost more, sometimes it's best to let an order go.

It's YOUR business, she should not tell you how to run it or what to set your prices as. You shouldn't let her put you in the negative just to meet her budget.

As far as the OP, I would have told them in a nice, but sweet voice, that's a really great idea and your company can just donate the amount of the cake back to me. It works out perfectly.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:43am
post #49 of 79
Quote:

Anyway, like I said, I'm not a master like you all BUT due to all of your guys' nudging, i did call my GF a bit ago and told her that if she wants the cake for her son(a race car) it will cost $40 and they will have to meet me 1/2 way...I'm not driving an hour to drop off a cake and then go home again. icon_smile.gif

Yay! This is the best post in the whole darned thread. I love it when people get the courage to stand up for themselves.

And you guys really need to understand that you probably won't be badmouthed just because you set a fair price and/or put your foot down, as long as you're not rude about it. What are they gonna say? "She's expensive?" "She wont drive 5 hours to deliver for free?" If you act like a pro, people are more likely to treat you like a pro. Just look at Indydebi. She's living proof.

If you want to be a business, you need to learn to deal with badmouthing, because it will happen sooner or later no matter how much you break your back for your customers.

It's better NOT to do a cake at all, than to do a cake, that will cost you money.

Niquie Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:43am
post #50 of 79

Ok, so I took you guys' advice and emailed the lady back stating that I wouldn't do the tasting, and that the cost of the fillings and such would bring up the cost. "Ok, just do the bottom chocolate and the top vanilla!!!", is the response I got. Now I see what everyone else means.

Thanks for helping me get some "back-bone" as you would say!!! I now realize that being in this and any other business, people are always going to try to take advantage of you, and I guess I need to get used that and not feel bad for charging for my services. Thanks a lot guys, you really opened my eyes with this thread!!!

Ashley

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:05pm
post #51 of 79

Way to go Ashley! It gets easier every time icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:39pm
post #52 of 79

Well done!!!!

Doesn't it feel good?

lolobell Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:11pm
post #53 of 79

Thanks everyone! I felt good about what I said to my GF, but then again, she's going to Sam's now for her cake!!!!!!!!! So, there goes that!!!!!!!! I know once she gets there and sees that the cake will only be a picture of a race car and not the actual car, she may call me again....but.........oh well if she doesn't I guess!!!

Thanks again.

thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:12pm
post #54 of 79

Ok, I haven't done the 'gutless pricing' thing in a while, but Chutzpah, I'm in desperate need of a good bitch slap... could you hook me up anyway? I warn you, I'll follow you like a lost puppy afterward! Hehehehehe.

But seriously, It's true what everyone says about fairly pricing yourself will not make people bad mouth you *neccessarily*. Because, when it comes right down to it, someone who is going to badmouth you is going to do it whether you stand up for yourself or not... if you go against them on anything, you're going to get it... and if you don't, well, they're going to badmouth you on that. "Oh, SHE won't be in business very long! She just kept giving me everything for free!"

lolobell Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #55 of 79

Oh and BTW, I get the "times are tough" line from everyone so having me do their cakes "helps"..................
Um, I'm a stay home Mom with MS and a 2 year old and my husbands a teacher. So, we get that times are tough. My hubby just cringes when he finds out I'm doing another cake for nothing but come home from Michael's with a bag of crap I needed for the cake and have spent 40-60 bucks easy each time. Since I'm starting out, I don't have much in the name of supplies, pans, boards, colors you name so each time I do a cake, I'm off to the store.
Not to mention the shortening, the PS, the flavorings etc...................
He's usually good about it but I think he's patience is wearing thin!!!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:28pm
post #56 of 79

lolobell and Niquie--
I have looked at your cakes and they definitely warrant more than "Wal-mart" prices. If that's what your customers/friends want to pay...send them there.

And if you lose their so-called "business"--so be it! They will be back eventually or there will be another one to take their place.

10 years ago, I used to kill myself making inexpensive cakes for everybody and their brothers...ya know what...it feels good to sit on the couch making nothing (money-wise) than to make a cake that actually ends up costing ME to make and deliver. The first few "oh, I'll just go to Wal-mart" stung but hey, I got over it.

I can't remember the name of the CC member that made these awesome cakes and was closing her business because she couldn't keep up with the demand because her prices were so low. Anybody else remember her name?

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #57 of 79

I have taken the time to look at everyones cakes that has posted about this topic. I did not see even ONE cake that I thought did not look "professional enough" to charge. They ALL look great!! We are awesome at what we do and we need to remember that. Self included!! Because I too am one of those that has been taken advantage of and have caved into the "friend" request. But reading all these posts has made me realize that I am in charge and I need to stand up. So, CCers, let's all stand up together and price our cakes like we are worth it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

pastriegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastriegirl Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:44pm
post #58 of 79

Well Said, Twopeasinapod!

Thats what I said coming into this New Year! I will standup for myself when it comes to my cakes!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopeasinapod

I just had a "friend" ask me to teach her to decorate cookies and cakes so she could do her own. This is a "friend" who has never purchased anything from me and has had parties and not asked me to make anything for them. One of the parties I was even a hostess and offered a cake (free or course) and was turned down. Now she wants me to teach her my art! icon_twisted.gif Don't think so! icon_evil.gif

I use to have a "friend" like that in junior school...sheesh with friends like that who needs competition!! I hope you told her off.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #60 of 79

I feel pretty fortunate. My friends have always offered to pay for cakes--even when I have offered to bring them. Also, I have lost some customers to the local mega mart. Some have been back--some not. One had to sit across from me at a party where I brought a cake and had to listen to many of the party guests rave on and on about how wonderful the cake was. (That was my fave--but I am a little petty that way)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%