Raspberry And Bavarian Cream Filling....now What?

Baking By JessDesserts Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 2:39pm by carleen2140

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 19

Someone gave me 2 'sleeves' of filling; one is raspberry and the other says bavarian cream.

I have never used pre-made filling before and im wondering about a few things:

Do I have to do anything before I use it? Add anything to it? Or is it go-to-go the way it is?

Also, any suggestions for flavor combinations? I want to use them with cupcakes....

Please help me!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Jess icon_razz.gif

18 replies
JessDesserts Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 19

12 people read this and have nothing to offer?

Please? Any and all ideas are really appreciated!!

mjfitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjfitz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 19

I use the raspberry one all the time when I make my rainbow cookies.
(you know the kind that have three different colored thin layers of cake with raspberry or apricot in between and frosted in chocolate) Last time I also bought a bavarian cream one but haven't used it yet. They do not need anything added to them and they last a while. I just roll the "sleeve" back and use a clothes pin to seal and put back in the pantry. Hope this helps..
MJ

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 19

I would put the b. cream with a dark choc cupcake icon_smile.gif

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 19

I have used this type filling. The raspberry is very good. Nothing needs to be done to them to use. Just use as though you made them yourself. They can be very slippery though when placeing the next layer ontop of the filled layer. So be prepared for that. I always put a rim around the edge to hold the filling in. Then place the next layer on top of that. I also just pin the left over in the bag closed and keep mine in the fridge. Not sure about flavor combos. I would suggest just trying them and see how it tastes. The raspberry is great with chocolate or lemon cake though.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 19

are those sleeves delicious? i make my own bavarian cream but would love something i could leave out.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 19

You just open and use. So you actually make all your fillings, nothing is pre packaged? I love the raspberry filling especially in a white van cake with whipped topping mmmm, sounds so good. As for the bc I think it goes so good with choc cake, that's what everyone seems to order when they get choc cake from me. I've made custard before but for some reason I just love the one in the sleeve it's much smoother and richer. You might want to bake up different flavor cupcakes and add a little of each of the sleeves to see what you come up with. Oh I've made rasp cream cheese with that sleeve and rasp mousse and it turned out wonderful too.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 19

jess, These sleeves of filling are great. I use both on a french vanilla cake. layer cake and put bavarian cream then a layer of raspberry
top layer of cake. I used a whipped icing. great a simple easy cake that everyone thinks you worked soooo hard on.. sh! dont tell haha..
I use the bavarian cream with a homemade strawberry glaze and a layer of fresh strawberries. It is one of my most requested cakes.good luck. they make many flavors of these fillings. A lot if bakeries use these.

JessDesserts Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 19

No, ive never used pre-made fillings before and I guess I hate to admit it, I never knew you could even buy something like this.

Now that I think about it, I probably looked pretty silly when they were given to me. I was tilting my head back and forth, lifting them up to my face, examining them carefully. Such a dope. LOL

Ty for your responses. Since they are going to be used with cupcakes ( im a cupcake kinda gal) I was thinking maybe as the filling of a boston cream cc? and the raspberry paired with a wc cake, same wc bc.

Any other flavor combinations would be helpful because there seems to be an awful lot in one sleeve.

Raspberry also goes nicely with lime, but I dont have a great lime cake recipe.....hint hint icon_wink.gif

I will post pics but it might take a while to use it all if I want to experiment, which I definitely do.

Which reminds me.....anyone know how to store it if I dont use it all? Maybe just in the fridge? tightly sealed? but for how long?

Thanks again!! JESS icon_razz.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 19

raspberry and chocolate!!!! the darker the chocolate the better

bavarian creme and chocolate!!!! --- can we say boston cream pie type effect????

oh, heck both in the same chocolate cake! -- two layers raspberry and one of boston creme (did that one for my niece's wedding in November.

=---

of course, with both, but the raspberry more so, it was all I could do to make it go in the cake and not straight into DOUG! --- my answer to storing the leftovers!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 19

I just wait for my cupcakes to cool, and put some of that filling in a pastry bag with a large hole tip, and insert it into the cupcakeand squeeze until I see a little of the filling come up to the top..... You could use either of the flavors with white or chocolate cake, and then pour chocloate ganache over the tops..... I'm hungry already !!! icon_lol.gif

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 19

I use the raspberry filling in lemon cupcakes then I use creme bouquet flavored buttercream on top. My customers just love them.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:39pm
post #13 of 19

Oh, Bubba..... that sounds YUMMY !!!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:12am
post #14 of 19

yeah there is a lot in the tubes but shucky darn grab a spoon!!
the kids and i enjoy the rest after the cake is gone to the customer and we eat cake trimmings and filling. bad bad habit but we love every bite.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:25am
post #15 of 19

when i use the sleeves of filling.... i open the end... squeeze it all out into a tupperware bowl.... keep in frig..... the best raspberry filling that i use.. i get from chefswarehouse.com... it is patisse.... raspberry baking jam... it is delicious..... i also get my sweetex, high-ratio shortening from them... hth

JessDesserts Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:00am
post #16 of 19

thanks for all the responses.

Bubba: what is creme bouquet flavor? I never heard of this. What does it taste like? Where do you get the flavoring?

icon_razz.gif

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 12:11am
post #17 of 19

creme bouquet tastes like a citrus flavor. I bought it from country kitchen sweetart.

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #18 of 19

The lady who made my wedding cake gave me this tip. Add one tablespoon of amaretto to the sleeve of bavarian cream...to die for!!! It's particularly great for wedding cakes.

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:39pm
post #19 of 19

A customer wanted the "baby block" cakes, 2 of them with rasberry and 2 with bavarian filling. I've used the rasberry filling with the WASC cake recipe found here on CC, and the bavarian creme with a marble cake. I covered the cakes with a buttercream icing. I did insert dowels, as someone said they are slippery.

I recently purchased the Cream Cheese and a Prune one. I want to try them for the filling in "Kolachy" coookies. Has anyone ever used it for that?

Carleen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%