Storing Cakes. Asap Help!

Decorating By lolobell Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm by Win

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 13

Hi. Boy, was I lost without CC today! Anyway:

1. I just made the sheet cake for my football cake I'm decorating tomorrow and wondered if I should store it in the frig over night? Or not?? I'm waiting to hear your opinion before I close up the kitchen!

Also, the cake is due Sunday but I'm decorating it tomorrow. Did I bake it too soon??? I always hate to bake the same day as I decorate but then again I hate handing over a 3 day old cake. what do you think?

Thanks....

Marianne
PS: Thanks to all of your help, I was able to fiddle with Indydebi's BC recipe and it is perfect now! Thanks soooo much for all of your help! Yippie!

12 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:06am
post #2 of 13

I don't put my cakes in the fridge after they are baked. You can do do a couple of things. Leave in pan and cover with a kitchen towel. Take it out tomorrow before you decorate. (Heat oven to 200, put cake back in for 3 minutes comes right out). Or if you've already taken it out of the pan cover it with a kitchen towel and decorate tomorrow. I have found that cakes are easier to work with when they have rested overnigt before decorating.

Jibbies

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #3 of 13

I leave mine in the pan and cover with a kitchen towel. If you are decorating it tomorrow, you did not bake it too soon. As long as you keep it covered and then decorate it asap, it will stay moist! icon_biggrin.gif Have fun decorating!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 13

With sheet cakes, I cover my board and flip the cake onto the board after I level it. I leave the pan on it as a cover until I'm ready to decorate. Most of the time that is hours later if not overnight. I do not refrigerate it before OR after I decorate it. And it will be fine to eat Sunday. Cakes are way more durable than people would think.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:05am
post #5 of 13

I pop my cakes onto a cake board and double wrap in saran wrap and put them in the freezer, even if I am decorating them the next day (allow to defrost before decoratoring) I just think it keeps them moister (is that a word?)

ButtercreamBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamBakery Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #6 of 13

I hardly ever put my cakes in the fridge. I usually just cover them and leave them out on the counter. If you are going to decorate tomorrow you definately didn't bake too soon... no worries it'll be fine.

lolobell Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #7 of 13

Thanks everyone! I just came out of the shower and my dear, dear husband had already covered my cakes in plastic!!!!! Is that okay???? He was so pleased he "helped" that I don't wanna burst his bubble!!!

They are on a board covered in cling wrap?? !!!!!!!!

ButtercreamBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamBakery Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #8 of 13

That sounds perfect... say thanks to the hubby.

lolobell Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:14am
post #9 of 13

Yippie!!! Great....

I got a great hubby actually. As I type he is washing all my mess in the kitchen. thumbs_up.gif

just wish he could help me all the decorating I have to do tomorrow. I have a sick 2 year old, I'm just getting over a flu and I have 2 nephews staying with me tomorrow!!!!!!! Yikes! So, I will most likely be piping, stopping, piping, stopping, wiping my daughter's runny nose, washing my hands, piping, comforting my daughter, washing my hands (I'm a germ phob)!! piping, stopping...you get the idea!!!!!!!!!! She only wants "mommy" when shes not feeling well. Guess I'm getting up early tomorrow! At least my nephews are 11 and 13 so they are old enough to get their own everything!!!

Thanks again guys! You all rock!!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #10 of 13

Hubby did fine. I do as Lorimoms, freeze --even if it is for overnight. That being said, it's also not required... just a preferance. If you worry about the cake being moist, go with the pros trick and use a simple syrup to crumbcoat before frosting. I always add that as the long term "yum factor."

lolobell Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:28am
post #11 of 13

just learning about simple syrup...does is need to be made with alcohol?? I don't have any in the house and it's a cake for kids so that seemed wrong to me?

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:41am
post #12 of 13

simple syrup=1 cup sugar + 1 cup water and boil....I also add some flavoring after it's cools some...like vanilla extract

I also freeze my cake even if it's over night....seems to be moister when I do that

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 13

Ditto what Spoonfulofsugar said. If you have leftover syrup, it can store in the fridge for a couple of weeks. If you need to make less just make the ratio of water to sugar the same. Ex: 1/2 sugar to 1/2 cup water, boil until sugar dissolves, stirring in between. Any flavoring that compliments your cake can be added. Alcohol and liqueurs are not mandatory additions but do provide over-the-top results. A favorite of mine when available is rum (just a spoonful is required)... awesome with chocolate cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%