Can I Use Melted Butter To Make Buttercream?

Decorating By ganesha Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm by Sweet_Guys

ganesha Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 9

I need some advice/help..........

The kitchen where I work has gotten a lot colder lately. So, my butter is not softening correctly. The last time I made buttercream, the butter was not soft enough, so there were small flecks of butter left in the buttercream.

I was wondering, can I use melted butter to make buttercream? Would that work, has anyone tried it? Or, would it just separate and get weird?

Or, melt the butter, then let it solidify a little bit, before mixing the buttercream?

(I use a simple recipe of butter, powdered sugar, a little shortening, flavoring and a little milk for the buttercream.)

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

8 replies
JodieF Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 9

I would think if you melted the butter you'd end up with a glaze, not a buttercream!

ganesha Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:14am
post #3 of 9

I agree....that it would be a glaze. Unless, I guess, if I added more conf. sugar.

However, I wondered if I made it with the melted butter, then let it set up in the fridge a bit, then beat it again, if that would work.

I just don't know what to do about this butter situation and not being able to get it soft enough to make buttercream.

SeriousCakes Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 9

I've had the same issues this winter, my kitchen is pretty cold, especially at night when I go to decorate. I've found that if I can get ithe butter pretty soft in the microwave first-NOT melted-it works pretty well. I also add a little more cream than I normally would, by about a tbs or so, at the beginning. I beat it on say, 4 or 5 until the lumps are gone, just to make sure. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 9

sometimes , i forget to take my butter from the frig.... i put the sticks of butter in the microwave on setting 2.... for a few seconds.. . just enough to soften it a little ... works great... i do not melt it.. hth

ganesha Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:18am
post #6 of 9

I will try microwaving the butter just a little, to soften it, without melting it.

Perhaps if I heat the milk/cream, as well (not hot, but warm) that will help soften any hard butter.

tracey1970 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:27am
post #7 of 9

As per Sugarshack's icing directions, I use a hot coffee creamer in my buttercream. While it's clearly ideal to use softened butter, I gather if you had a somewhat cold butter, a hot coffee creamer would take care of the rest.

ceshell Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:33am
post #8 of 9

If you melt in the microwave, might I suggest cutting it into slices first so that it all melts evenly. Otherwise even on low, butter tends to melt from the inside out. Or is that outside in? LOL in any event it's harder to get a big stick to melt evenly (and gently) than 8 tbsp-sized slices. I do it on power 1 for only a few seconds at a time. It's tedious to keep checking, but worth it to prevent the butter from melting. Melted butter always seems grainy to me once it re-solidifies.

Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 9

When we're in a rush and have forgotten to take the butter out of the refrigerator, we put two sticks in the microwave and heat for 12 seconds. Rotate the sticks 180 degrees so the tops are now on the bottom and heat for another 12 seconds. It gets soft but not melted.

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%