Help With Carved Cake Please

Decorating By Joyfull4444 Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm by ibmoser

Joyfull4444 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 7

I've not done this before and I'm a bit mixed up on what to do with this darn cake. I've been trying to make a small carved caterpillar that will go ontop a sheet cake. Its carved out of a single layer.
I have the small caterpillar carved as good as I'll ever get it, if I do any more carving/fixing, it'll be toast.
I'm not sure what step is next? I carved him using a paper template I'd made, out of a solid frozen cake, and found that quite difficult.
I think if I ever, and I'm saying that lightly, carve a cake again I'll do it with a partially frozen cake.

I tried to apply a light coat of icing to the now cut up caterpillar but it turned into a gooey mess. I've fixed that as best I can and will not add anymore icing as parts of the carved area's are mashing into the icing.

Now I'm not sure what I do, put it back in the freezer, let it get frozen again, and then apply the fondant? Or, let the carved and iced cake thaw, let the coating of icing hopefully crust so it won't be so gooey, and then apply the fondant cover?

If I refreeze it and then apply the fondant while its still frozen, won't that wreck the fondant?

My mind is saying yes, as the fondant will get wet as the frozen cake thaws out. Am I right?

Thanks for your help

6 replies
mamacc Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 7

I ice most of my carved cakes with a tip since the spatula makes a mess out of cut cake.(unless it's a fairly simple shape) I use a large basketweave tip and I use it just like the cake icer tip except it's smaller.

The other important thing that I do is to thaw out the frozen cake before the buttercream. I usually let it sit overnight. Then ice with b/c. If possible I put it in the freezer for 10 mins or so just to firm up the bc. You definitely don't want to cover a frozen cake with fondant!! I would let that cake thaw out first, then fix the bc as best as you can, and then firm up and cover with fondant.

Also, you can use cake mortar to fix and holes/rough spots....cake mixed with bc. It holds up better than just bc.

Good luck!

rockytop Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 7

Joyfull4444, i would take the cake out and let it thaw completely before adding any more icing. After it thaws and a coat of icing then put the fondant on . Why did you freeze the cake before carving?? Was it time or are there other factors. I have carved cakes before and never had to freeze them. Hope this helps. Have any others please fell free to ask.

Joyfull4444 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 7

mamacc & rockytop thank you for the helpfull advice.

I decided to leave the little caterpillar out and not refreeze. I didn't think the fondant cover would work otherwise, and you've both confirmed that.

So far the gooey icing that did stick to the caterpillar has not firmed up but hopefully it will soon. I'd like to get this "oh this shouldn't take too long" cake, over and done with before midnight!

I will next time, (hopefully never at the moment) do my carving with unfrozen cake.

Once again, thank you both!

TooMuchCake Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with MamaCC in that if you pipe the icing onto a carved cake, it saves a LOT of headache with the crumbs. Once you pipe the icing on, you can then smooth it out with your spatula and go ahead to your fondant.

I also never carve frozen cake. Picking a good, dense cake recipe helps eliminate the need to freeze before carving. Lots of people only carve frozen, and some like me never do. Experiment to see what works best for you and don't give up on carving cake. It's a lot of fun once you hit your stride.

Deanna

Kitagrl Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 7

I carve refrigerated cake so its firm but not hard.... and then make sure the icing is not too stiff. Crumb coat the cake with a nice soft coat of icing....then go back over it again with the same icing (or slightly firmer if you like).

ibmoser Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with Kitagirl - firm but not frozen. And, like she mentioned, I have found that I need to watch the consistency of my icing when crumb-coating carved cakes -too stiff will reeeeeeally make a mess......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%