Freezing A Carved Cake?!

Decorating By Jeannie21 Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 7:09pm by TooMuchCake

Jeannie21 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 7

hey everyone! I carved cake and i was ready to do a coat of icing on it , but when I try to ice the "uncrusted/carved" parts,peices of my cake stick to the icing and are about to come off the cake! icon_cry.gif
I heard something one time about freezing the cake for awhile first but how long? and how do i wrap it? and is there anything else i should do?

6 replies
peacenique Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 7

What about if you thin some of your icing and try that way?
(Just guessing here though.) If it was not so firm it ought to spread more easily ~ like trying to spread softened butter on bread compared to semi-hard butter.

I'm thinking that a crumb coat is, or can be, quite thin so that you are able to still see the cake through here and there.

Jeannie21 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 7

thanks peacenique! I ended up thining the icing more, and using the big icing tp to put it on...i forgot I had it and it works great! icon_smile.gif

peacenique Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:03am
post #4 of 7

I'm glad you got it figured out!

Have fun with the next step(s).

RobzC8kz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 7

I only freeze a cake to make it hard enough to carve. Once it is carved, I let it go back to room temperature before crumbing it. I will admit that once it's carved, it becomes really soft and will tear easily while you're trying to crumb coat it. I generally just pop the BC in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds to get it runny and I apply the crumb coat that way. Once the BC returns to room temp, or you put it in the fridge, it hardens up again and is ready for the final icing.

j-pal Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 7

Just for future reference... you can freeze it for a few hours uncovered which will make it more firm to ice and won't dry it out at all. Depending on how intricate the carving is, I'll do this and then still pipe the icing on and as I'm "smoothing" it, I'll really "push" the icing onto the cake to help make sure it says put. I've sometimes found that if I thin the icing before icing the cake, I'm more apt to get "wrinkling", so I try not to thin it too much. Of course, this may depend on your icing recipe, too. Happy decorating!

TooMuchCake Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 7

Everyone has their own way to handle carved cakes, so if you are happy freezing your cake while you carve or crumb coat, you should do that. But, I never carve a frozen cake. I use dense cake recipes for carving and I pipe my crumb coat on, then smooth it out with my spatula. Use a basketweave tip as if it were an itty bitty icer tip, pressing the icing into the cake as you pipe rather than just "laying" the icing on the cake, and use slightly thinner icing. When I teach cake sculpture classes, it's really not possible for the students to arrive with frozen cake, so this is the way I show them how to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%