Question About Yeast

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm by majormichel

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi y'all!!
I have a recipe that calls for yeast. I have followed the directions and dissolved the yeast in warm milk. I measured the temp of the milk with a candy thermometer and it measures to be within the desired temperature. However, my yeast isn't foaming as it should and looks clumpy. I figured it was bad yeast so I went out and bought a new bottle. This is now the third time I have tried and the yeast is still doing the same thing. I am sooooooo frustrated. Please help.

Thanks,
Lazy_Susan

6 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 7

Add a little sugar! Yeast needs something to "eat" to get it growing!

Jodie

Lazy_Susan Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Add a little sugar! Yeast needs something to "eat" to get it growing!

Jodie

Thanks!
Should I throw out what I've been working with or will it still work if I add some sugar? My soon to be sister-in-law said to warm the oven and put it in there.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 7

My yeast was clumpy in the container of liquid too. I took a mini whisk to get out the lumps. That worked for me. Then it started getting frothy.

Lazy_Susan Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

My yeast was clumpy in the container of liquid too. I took a mini whisk to get out the lumps. That worked for me. Then it started getting frothy.

I tried that and it didn't work but thanks for the suggestion. I just put in some sugar and stuck it in a warmed oven and it worked like a charm. Thanks everyone!!! I'm off to bake land...............

Bzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bzer Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 7

I too add a tsp of sugar to my yeast....

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 7

NOOOOO! Don't throw it out. I does make bread every week. The yeast do not have to foam to show that it is good. Once you use it within the expiry date it should be fine. Usually, I does mix everything altogether at once. Once mixed place a plastic bag or saran wrap over the bowl so the yeast can expand. The plastic over the bowl help the yeast to let out the neccessary oxygen to grow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%