Now Son Wants To Learn........

Decorating By majormichel Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm by Sweet_Guys

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 9

My B-day is coming up in April (23rd) and I was talking to me son (age 9) about having a b-day party for myself. So I asked the question, what colour should my cake be. His response was, show me how to do the flowers so I can put them on your cake, his part of the contribute ( I asume). He is talking about gumpaste/fondant flowers. Question, should I get him his own set of tools, everytime I decorate a cake he is very interested in making up his on design of pieces of fondant I give him. What easy flower you think I can start him off with. I am so proud, I can pass my knowledge on to my son icon_rolleyes.gif

And I still don't have an idea for my b-day? Have you done your own cake? Was it a tier cake or sheet, please give me some ideas. I was be 30 on this b-day (ooop I told you my age icon_wink.gif ).[/quote]

8 replies
Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 9

Ohh, if it were me, I would make any cake that I have been dying to try out. Like right now I have been wanting to make a topsy turvy cake and decorate it zebra with pink accents. So that is what I would make if my bday was coming up.
My two sons (ages 10 and 13) both LOVE to help me out as much as possible. They both make fondant items and use my tools. I haven't invested in them their own yet because I am still a newbie and can't afford to get us ALL stuff. They have watched the you tube video on how to make a fondant flower and are pretty good at it. I don't have how to get to that video right now but I will try to find it for you. My oldest son is also pretty good about using watered down coloring to "paint" pictures on white fondant. I let him use ice cube trays to mix water with the coloring and then he rolls out his own fondant and puts it either on a large cookie or just lays it on a cookie sheet. They are both pretty good also at making stars with the star tip and are practicing on outlining. It amazed me that they wanted to do all this, but I love the time we spend together in the kitchen and I learn so much about them and their school days!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 9

Let's see.........what fondant flowers are easy? How about wild roses? Do you have a all-in-one rose cutter? He should easily be able to lightly ruffle the edges and let them dry in a cupped form.

OR simple callas. Cut a heart and wrap it around the center pistal. Not exactly competition way but it is a very nice looking way to make themicon_smile.gif

majormichel Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 9

How do you make the zebra strips to go on the cake?

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

How do you make the zebra strips to go on the cake?

I have a hannah montana cake in my photos I did for my daughter. All I did was roll out the fondant and use a pizza cutter (wheel) to cut wavy designs, then just brushed the back of the strip with water and slap it on the cake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:

Have you done your own cake? Was it a tier cake or sheet, please give me some ideas.

yes, 9x13 chocolate cake still warm in pan w/ a thick layer of chocolate frosting and a fork.

obviously men ARE much EASIER to please.

Quote:

Question, should I get him his own set of tools, everytime I decorate a cake he is very interested in making up his on design of pieces of fondant I give him.

NO, this is an excuse for you to buy YOURSELF a brand new set of upgraded tools and he can use your old ones.

Quote:

What easy flower you think I can start him off with. I am so proud, I can pass my knowledge on to my son icon_rolleyes.gif

why the "roll"? he could be a future Duff, Mike, Ron, Scott, etc. in the making!!

calla lily is very simple. so is a basic carnation (as long as he can master ruffling the edges)

majormichel Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #7 of 9

Doug, thank you for keeping my pocket book in check. I guess any excuse to purchase somethinng. lol

You may be aware by now, woman expects a bit more. A cake in the pan and fork will not do, LOL.

I will try those flowers that you mentioned.

Thank you everyone for responding.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:16am
post #8 of 9

Majormichael, that is the sweetest thing ever!

As I read it, I was thinking like Doug - encourage him! At best - he'll be famous like the big names he mentioned, and will support YOU; at worst - you have an extra helper!

I just made my own anniversary cake, and my husbands/sister-in-law shared BDay cake in one week, so envy you with someone wanting to help.

I agree with the others about the cala lily - Edna's tutorial on them is wonderful - very well done and straightfoward. He could start with that one. The "Duff Rose" is a nice easy one too.

Good luck - congratulations - and Happy Birthday!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 9

We kept wondering why it hadn't been mentioned about encouraging him until Doug said something...We think it's great that he is eager to learn....He may (or may not) want to do it professionally, but he'll have the skills...Another item to try would be Aine2's rose...Watch that video and see what you think.

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%