I Bought Thi Tool...

Decorating By todolomio Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm by todolomio

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 22

Hi everyone!

Well I bought this tool that perforates the fondant and you can pass a ribbon between cake and the fondant to the next hole. This effect is widely used in specialty fabric usually in little girl dresses made of cotton with eyelets embroidery on it.

I have a general idea of how to use it but, do you frost the side of the cake like usually you do or do you frost the cake partially icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I'm confused icon_eek.gif

But I trust my CC friends icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks a million

21 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 22

I don't get it. Won't the ribbon get icing all over it?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 22

Can you send a link to a picture of this tool so we can visually assess how itis used?? Sounds perplexing!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 22

I'm not sure what the tool looks like, but usually small pieces of ribbon are placed into the cuts. The ribbon is not threaded all the way through. It's just for affect. Using gumpaste ribbon piece will work well too and will make everything edible.

HTH

Michele

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 22

I have a book that describes what you want to do I think.

Make slits in the fondant, using a scalpel or ribbon inserting tool. take care that the slit is not so deep that it reaches the buttercream. Cut the ribbon into equal pieces and using tweezers or a pointed knife place one edge in each slit.

That may not be real clear without the picture. It shows that you insert one edge of a piece of ribbon in the first slit, the other end in the second. Go to the third slit and insert the end of the second piece of ribbon, and other end in the fourth slit. The ribbon actually is many little pieces of ribbon, and does not go from slit to slit as it would if it was ribbon in a little girls dress.

I hope you can understand this.

todolomio Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:24am
post #6 of 22

It's very frustrating trying to post pictures on this website I believe this is the 5th time in a year that I can not post what I need help with Sorry!!!

The Global sugar art web site has the tool under: www.globalsugarart.com

PME Knife with Ribbon Insertion Tool

The cake effect I am looking to achieve is the bottom tier of the Martha Stewart Eyelet Cake.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/cakes-inspired-by-fabric-eyelet

Thanks so much for your help!

todolomio Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:25am
post #7 of 22

It's very frustrating trying to post pictures on this website I believe this is the 5th time in a year that I can not post what I need help with Sorry!!!

The Global sugar art web site has the tool under: www.globalsugarart.com

PME Knife with Ribbon Insertion Tool

The cake effect I am looking to achieve is the bottom tier of the Martha Stewart Eyelet Cake.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/cakes-inspired-by-fabric-eyelet

Thanks so much for your help!

todolomio Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:28am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

I have a book that describes what you want to do I think.

Make slits in the fondant, using a scalpel or ribbon inserting tool. take care that the slit is not so deep that it reaches the buttercream. Cut the ribbon into equal pieces and using tweezers or a pointed knife place one edge in each slit.

That may not be real clear without the picture. It shows that you insert one edge of a piece of ribbon in the first slit, the other end in the second. Go to the third slit and insert the end of the second piece of ribbon, and other end in the fourth slit. The ribbon actually is many little pieces of ribbon, and does not go from slit to slit as it would if it was ribbon in a little girls dress.

I hope you can understand this.

That sounds about right icon_smile.gif I guess the fondant should also be a little thicker than usual. I wonder I make mine around 1/4 thick I guess that should be enough if I'm careful icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks,

todolomio Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:30am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

I'm not sure what the tool looks like, but usually small pieces of ribbon are placed into the cuts. The ribbon is not threaded all the way through. It's just for affect. Using gumpaste ribbon piece will work well too and will make everything edible.

HTH

Michele

I like the idea of it being all edible. You see I'm truly a Fashion Designer that has a passion for Baking and recently started as a business (kind of got tierd of the glamour) So, I was thinking a dressmaker icon_wink.gif

thanks,

todolomio Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Can you send a link to a picture of this tool so we can visually assess how itis used?? Sounds perplexing!

Could not post a pic but here is the link to the tool

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=pme+ribbon+&searchimage.x=0&searchimage.y=0

Thanks again. icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:46am
post #11 of 22

Call me crazy, but that looks exactly like an Exacto knife set I have in my toolbox....same blades! That one blade is nothing fancy, it's just a chisel tip razor! I could be wrong, but that's what I am seeing.

Anyways, good luck on that cake...it is a beauty, and looks very fun to tackle!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:02am
post #12 of 22

This was done in another book, too. I wish I could remember which...I think it had a cake with vertical piped stripes on it. I got it from the library, so I can't check my collection. It was a beautiful cake and had directions to do it, too!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:23am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Call me crazy, but that looks exactly like an Exacto knife set I have in my toolbox....same blades! That one blade is nothing fancy, it's just a chisel tip razor! I could be wrong, but that's what I am seeing.

Anyways, good luck on that cake...it is a beauty, and looks very fun to tackle!

icon_lol.gif you are not crazy...it's what it looks!..And thats what I used for doing mine!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

todolomio Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:38am
post #14 of 22

Well that one is exactly what you say. In my case i have a tool that has two blades and cuts two holes at the same time. When I can figure out how to post a pic icon_mad.gif on this site without crashing my computer I will post it! I hope I am as good as a football player because I have never done this type of cake before.

Thanks!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:31pm
post #15 of 22

todolomio, don't worry, the ribbon trim cakes are not as hard as they appear. They are just time consuming. I used real ribbon my first try and the ends fray a lot. Making ribbon pieces from gumpaste, letting it dry over a dowel rod and then gently inserting them into the cuts will work quite a bit faster. Just be sure to make extras in case of breakage.

By the way, if you want them to shimmer like real ribbon, dust them with luster before cutting them and putting them on the cake.

HTH

Michele

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:34pm
post #16 of 22

Okay - this is my first attempt at posting a pic - hope it works. KatieKakes and Sugarflowers do the way I was taught in Nicholas lodge's class. Time consuming but not difficult. The ribbon is 50/50 fondant/gumpaste, cut into strips, then segments, then partially dried over a dowel for the shape. Gently insert the edges into the slits in the fondant.
LL

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:48pm
post #17 of 22

The DH has hidden my exacto tool....so i now use a fillet knife. Hopefully no accidents with this tool!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #18 of 22

I have the tools ( I bought them by accident) But I don't have the book where can I get a book with instructions and pictures as how to use them or is their a tutorial I can watch.

Molly icon_smile.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

I don't get it. Won't the ribbon get icing all over it?

If you use this tool to 'weave' fondant ribbon in and out of a piece of fondant, it helps immensely if you cover your cake first with a thin sheet of white fondant. Smooth completely, and spritz with a very light mist of water, and then cover again with the color that you want. That way when you weave the ribbon wont get BC all over it.

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:46pm
post #20 of 22

i have the tool.. i don't use much, it's time consuming an around here people are not willing to pay for the time you put into it. .....but cakes does look beautiful with lace.good luck with it .it's fun an easy.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:13pm
post #21 of 22

I would love to have the book on how to do this...anyone know the name of the book?

todolomio Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks Sugarflowers for the idea now I have a more clear idea on what to do.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%