tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:43am
post #31 of 50

Dont worry Tita, it was just a short 3 day trip...heavenly though!..haha
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #32 of 50

Riiiiiight. Nothing is "just a trip" to Puerto Rico. But that's okay, my time will come soon enough. LOL!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #33 of 50

lol..I want to go again!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #34 of 50

Alright already -- where I'm at we've been in single digits and below for three straight weeks!!! If I hear another word about tropical anything I'll scream!!! icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #35 of 50

Im right there with ya BOB ! Friggid weather .. But hey BOB good news ..the news just said that There was snow flurries around Tampa ! hehe!
Hey to Edna !!!

Tita9499 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #36 of 50

Okay, okay, I forget that not everyone lives in El Paso where it was 68 degrees today. LOL!

Here's a question for you Bob: What would you suggest I do for an Army x-ray tech's graduation from his training? I had pictured doing a cake of a person getting x-rayed (laying face up on a table), but having the part of the body not being x-rayed a skeleton and the part that is in the film (so imagine a screen on your torso) the flesh. Does that make sense?

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #37 of 50

I like that idea for the Xray tech! It sounds like a winner. Let's see what the others think! icon_biggrin.gif

Tita9499 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #38 of 50

You do? Good, I'm glad I made sense on paper.
Everyone else, please give me your honest opinion on this one.

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:07am
post #39 of 50

But of course you must put a butterfly on it! icon_wink.gif And a few seashells!! icon_razz.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:00pm
post #40 of 50

Hey Bob. Love your butterfly cake! I ordered the butterfly impression mat and received it yesterday. Could you tell me how you attach the wings to the middle section? Is the middle section gumpaste? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #41 of 50

I painted the impression mat with the gelatin mixture and put a swish of gelatin combining the two wings. After they dry I pinch the wings in the center where they are attached by that "swish" and that gives me dimension. I used royal icing bodies but you can use gumpaste bug bodies if you like. Glad you like the butterflies -- they are soooo much fun to do! icon_biggrin.gif Hey, did you know Di and Michaelle are writing a book on how to do the butterflies and flowers from those mats? It should be out this Spring! icon_lol.gif

GrandmaG Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #42 of 50

Oh, OK. That makes sense. I will definitely get their book when it comes out. I hope they will come out with more designs! I think dragonflies and bees would be cute. I will try the RI middles. That sounds like less work! icon_smile.gif Thanks!

GrandmaG Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:10pm
post #43 of 50

Bob, if you don't mind, some of us were wondering if you knew how they get the multi colors in the butterfly like on their home page.
http://www.cakeconnection.com/gelatin.htm
Until their book comes out we have no clue! I know you took the class so thought they might have told you.
Thanks! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm
post #44 of 50

They use several different painting techniques. I know they use edible markers and I believe they make their own "paints" from petal dust and vodka but I'm not exactly sure. You can write to Diane at that website and ask her directly.

GrandmaG Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #45 of 50

Thanks Bob! You are always so quick to answer and I appreciate that! I have e-mailed them with a question and didn't hear back. That was a week ago. They must be busy but I will try again. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #46 of 50

If you look up the user Justdi here at CC, that's her. She's a newbie to this site but perhaps we could entice her to come forward with a few tips and tricks for us... icon_lol.gif

GrandmaG Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:28pm
post #47 of 50

thumbs_up.gif Thanks!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #48 of 50

I made shells for a wedding cake and used various candy and soap molds found on line and in craft stores. I wanted them to be as authentic as possible and not like shiny soaps, so I used fondant rolled thin and pressed into the molds. They are in my photos. I used luster dusts and some were dry dusted, some were painted and some were a combination of both. Many were not willing to eat them thinking they were real.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1212325.html

Molded chocolate is easier, and I have seen some very nice chocolate shells, but I am very pleased how the fondant came out. Keep in mind that chocolate is going to be more sensitive to heat where fondant or gumpaste won't.

bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #49 of 50

Gscout those shells are just gorgeous! Did you roll out the fondant and press it into the molds making hollow shells or did you roll the fondant into "tubes" and press that into the molds making a more substantial shell?

By the way, want to hear something funny? My parents live in Boynton Beach and I was born on Nov 1st! (Okay all together now "It's a small world after all...") icon_lol.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #50 of 50

[quote="By the way, want to hear something funny? My parents live in Boynton Beach and I was born on Nov 1st! (Okay all together now "It's a small world after all...") icon_lol.gif[/quote]

NO WAY!!!! thumbs_up.gif Hey, when you come down to visit we'll have to get together for a bite to drink icon_wink.gif

Yes, the shells were hollow/thin. It made them more authentic. that way, some could be dusted on the inside and can be face up or down and can hold a pearl. (little balls dusted with luster dust). They took me a while, but as you can see, the effort paid off... until I saw many sitting on the tables or the sides of the plates. Only the kids ate them. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%