Cake Bling?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 3:01pm by yellobutterfly

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 9

A husband called and wants a surprise b-day cake for his wife, who's turning 40. He wants buttercream, with buttercream shoes, purse, etc drawn on, and says his wife likes bling, and is always wearing shirts, etc with crystals that spell out words...he would like something similar on the cake as well. I was thinking I could do "40" in bling, but I'm not sure if there's anything similar to the look of crystals that's edible? The only thing that comes to mind is to cut out a gumpaste 4 and 0 and cover them in sugar crystals (the clear/white sprinkle kind)...anyone have a better product or idea?

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 9

Don't know if this is a repeat post or if my reply didn't get on.......
Have you thought of making hearts or stars on wires? The can be covered w/dust, glitter, or sugar for bling. I like your idea for the #s.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 9

yellobutterfly , i am working on a cake now that has diamonds.I am using a hard candy mold and making clear diamonds in it. they look real.
got a diamond hard candy mold on ebay for $2. plus shipping the guy had it to me in two days. hope this helps dont know how soon you need it.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 9

You can buy isomalt jewels from fancyflours.com. Pricey, but definitely say 'bling'!

yellobutterfly Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:24am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

yellobutterfly , i am working on a cake now that has diamonds.I am using a hard candy mold and making clear diamonds in it. they look real.
got a diamond hard candy mold on ebay for $2. plus shipping the guy had it to me in two days. hope this helps dont know how soon you need it.

I know this is a dumb question, but how are you getting clear? with cooked sugar? if so, can you share the recipe?

yellobutterfly Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:25am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

You can buy isomalt jewels from fancyflours.com. Pricey, but definitely say 'bling'!

WOW!! Those are AWESOME!! They look soooo real! But, unfortunately are waaayyy out of my budget (B/c I didn't charge him enough extra to cover it)

yellobutterfly Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:25am
post #7 of 9

does anyone know how to make this isomalt stuff? they look incredibly real!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:46am
post #8 of 9

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=613739&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=isomalt&&start=0

The thread above has a ton of info on making the isomalt jewels yourself. On page 4 of the thread there is a link to a tutorial on how to cheaply make your own jelwel mold and how to make the gems themselves with isomalt. Throughout the thread there are links to different gem molds you can buy too.

I hope this will help a little bit. I've never tried any of this stuff, but I'm interested in trying. Let me know how it works out for you if you do try to make them! Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

yellobutterfly Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 9

thanks so much krissiecakes, I will read up on that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%