Big Cake, Most Important Client!!

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm by butterfly831915

butterfly831915 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 13

Okay, so I am going to do my sisters wedding cake and after she and I have discussed it, She would like 5 or 6 tier cake as she needs enough for around 300. I have questions right from the start, any help or advice you can offer would be appreciated!!

1. What will be the best stacking method? I have never done SPS or dowel rods. Can I even use the SPS method on this large of a cake?
2. What do I do to keep the tiers from sticking to one another and pulling the icing up off the one underneath? (Just use PS?) (She wants buttercream, anti fondant family.)
3. I plan on assembling at the actual wedding sight, any pointers on what extras I should bring with me?
4. Fall designs- the wedding will be in the fall, can anyone give me some ideas on designs, she wants round cakes as she doesn't like square. She also doesn't want just leafs or a cake covered in flowers. (She originally said it was going to be a small simple wedding and nothing extravagant but it seems to be getthing that way with the dress and everything.)
5. How long can I leave the cake stacked and there be no problems?
6. We discussed maybe some sugared flowers, any tips on how to do this?

I have plenty of time to practice as the wedding won't be until fall of 2010.

This is for my sis and it means so much to her and to me, I want to make sure it is perfect!! icon_eek.gif Since I am maid of honor, cake person, event decorator, florist, and location scouter- I have my hands full and won't have tons of time the day of the wedding as we are to get our hair and nails done together and be there for her every need as it is my duty being maid of honor, there just is not much time for me to mess this up. What can I say, I am going to be stressed to the max on this one. I can only hope we will be allowed to decorate and such the day (or maybe two) before the event... What was I thinking, so much going on!!!

12 replies
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 13

.......use the SPS method on this large of a cake? .......
Definitely use SPS!! That is what they are foricon_smile.gif keep the tiers from sticking to one another and pulling the icing up......
SPS will prevent that.
......assembling at wedding sight, pointers on what extras I should bring........
Your whole kitchen! LOL
........Fall designs-.......
Go thru the gallery here. There are soooooo many wonderful ideas you never know what will strike your or her fancy. Pick out maybe 4-6 designs you think you can do easily and let her pick from them.
.........How long can I leave the cake stacked and there be no problems? .........
If/When it is stacked/put together right it can last over 24 hrsicon_smile.gif Use SPS for putting it together right and you should be fine.
........going to be stressed to the max.....maid of honor, cake person, event decorator, florist, and location scouter-........

Do as much as you can before hand. With the time element you can make any flowers (maybe some decorations) weeks ahead; mix up icing & bake & fz weeks ahead for last minute put together.

Mencked Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 13

First of all don't panic!! You will be fine and you will have thought this cake through so many times before you actually make it that it's going to be "a piece of cake icon_smile.gif"
I made this cake to serve about 400 and you will see my ringing endorsement of SPS there!! Definitely use it and have faith in it--that system is AMAZING!! After using it on this cake, I can't tell you how stress-free my drives to the wedding reception sites have been as well as knowing that it can and will stand up for 24+ hours with absolutely no problems!!
If you are worried that the tiers will stick to the frosting you can cut a small circle of parchment paper to put between cake layers, but with crusting BC and SPS, truly they will not stick!!
Always bring extra frosting, every tip you used on the cake, paper towels, spatulas, extra flowers if you use them and most important of all--your camera!!!
Definitely look through the galleries here!!

butterfly831915 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 13

Thanks so much. Can anyone tell me how to actually use the sps?

smbegg Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:59am
post #5 of 13

I looked at the SPS system and I don't understand quite how it works. Do you stick cake boards over the screws? Then you thread the legs on and then place the cake over? Anyone have a step by step photo tutorial on this?

cakegal Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:12am
post #6 of 13

I'm not sure how the sps system works to be put together either.
Haven't tried it.

MrsLev557 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:38am
post #7 of 13

I got into cake decorating just to do a wedding cake for a friend, the picture is in my photos, the only wedding cake. I did a 4 tier and would strongly recommend the SPS system... Did you read the post on it, Leah has great pictures to show how to use it. Its a great tutorial!

I bought the system and tried it out on a 2 tiered cake, just to practice. I actually drove to the wedding with the bottom 2 tiers put together, it did not move!!

Its amazing how heavy the cakes get, I had to have someone help me carry the 2 pieces together....

AllMom Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 13

I don't like the thought of frosting flowers for your sake. My mom and I made a few wedding cakes that using the s.p.s. They are a reuseable plate one one the top of the tier and one on the bottom with pegs to hold the pillers in place and to keep the gap between the tiers. You still use the wooden dools for support. So the bottom tiers don't smashed by the weight of the upper tiers.
We used silk flowers and leafs ( nice ones not cheep) between the tiers. then after the wedding we made a swag for the brides with the flowers from her cake.
We did all the decorating at home then set up the cake on site. very easy and low stress. just take a bag of frosting(s) with tips for touch ups on site.
Sit down with your sister and explain that you love her very much and if she wants you to be at your best on her big day to please help by picking simple pipping design. After all who wants to have photos with a made of honor with bald spots from pulling her hair out over the stress of a perfect cake.

jibbies Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:13am
post #9 of 13

I have never used the SPS system, I have always used wooden dowel rods. I have make some pretty large cakes with no problem and just the expense of dowel rods. Look in my gallery to see what I mean.
I use coconut to keep the icing from sticking to the plates.
Do a search in the galleries to find fall themed cakes.
I set my cakes up on site.
If you need any help please feel free to pm me.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #10 of 13

Here's my recommendation although you didn't ask this. icon_biggrin.gif

I did my daughter's wedding cake. She tried to give me an extra duty to perform day of and I declined. I also kept her Daddy employed as my assistant. He did things earlier in the day but he was there for me. It was five tiers plus a two tier groom's.

There was no time for me to do anything else.

I'm not sure how you're gonna manage to do all this, be the cake maker, the wedding planner, the maid of honor, the decorator and florist for a wedding with 300 guests. Whoa.

I mean you have plenty of time now to do lots of stuff but I guess you are going to have a crew of dependable people who will be delegated to whichever task and lead themselves along on that day.

This just sounds completly overwhelming to me. Not that you can't do it but I sure couldn't come close for that amount of folks. My girl had about 250-ish people.

Just a thought for you.

I mean I don't have any family here or anything to help. Maybe you have a great network fo folks to depend on. "Cause you're sure gonna need 'em.

1nanette Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #11 of 13

I have made 5 and 6 tier cakes with the white plsatic dowels from wilton. And I have never had a problem. I always deliver my cakes stacked but not higher that 4 tiers. I use 4 bamboo skewers to secure each tier the to the board. Im not saying that is the best way its just the best way for me. I've never tried the SPS system. There are cakes in my gallery. One of them is my cousins autumn themed wedding cake Here is the link

I put parchment under each tier. It dosent stick to frosting. It also makes it easy to move the cake if you get it a little off center. Also, I havae learned that chilling your cakes in the fridge or freezer before stacking them makes them easy to handle. Especially if its buttercream.

kakeladi Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 13

........You still use the wooden dools for support. So the bottom tiers don't smashed by the weight of the upper tiers. ........

This is not right. You do not need dowels if one is using the SPS. The legs/posts are the dowels.
How many of you have ever used Wilton's push in pillars? It is very similar except much much more sturdy because the legs are wider and the plate locks into them much more firmly.
The legs come 4" tall - no cutting/adjusting - they are perfect for most cakes.

butterfly831915 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all so much... Think I will be ordering SPS next pay day or with tax check!! Some how my tax refund always goes on my hobbies; flowers, cakes, scrapbooking. LOL... I won't have a big crew of helpers but I did my sisters baby shower on my own and then got some helpers after the fact. I think we can do it. I know there will be plenty of people to help me out, if I trust them enough too!! I tend to have a bit of OCD or should I say CDO. I am making for sure we book a place we can decorate the night before and I will have the cake ready to go then as well. I think I've got it figured out. I'm sure that day I'll be crazy but it will be worth it as it is all a labor of love and then she gets to do it for me (if I ever find time to date). Thanks again for all the help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%