Fondant On Wire

Decorating By olsjhs Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 1:09pm by bashini

olsjhs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olsjhs Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 9:18am
post #1 of 4

Morning all,

Quick question, can anyone tell me how you would get fondant to stay on the top of wire without either a) the wire bending right over (is this a case of getting the correct grade wire for the weight of the fondant and b) the wire poking through the fondant causing the fondant to slip down the wire.

I do have a full pic of what I mean on my home PC but im at work, this is the best one I can find in my online pics of what I mean. As you can see from the balloon next to the pig in blue you can just see the wire starting to poke through the top of the balloon, about 30 seconds after the pic, it had gone all the way through and the balloon had slipped down till it was sitting on the cake, then it happened to the other one a bit later. Also originally they were long wires so looked like floating balloons (prob double the size) but the weight keps toppling them over and splitting the cake (hence the blue ball of gumpaste trying to hold it in place!!

Any help is much appreciated!!!

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:31am
post #2 of 4

Hi, you can use 22 guage wire to keep it straight up. I would first dip the top of the wire in egg white and then insert it into the balloon, and let it dry completely.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

olsjhs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olsjhs Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, you can use 22 guage wire to keep it straight up. I would first dip the top of the wire in egg white and then insert it into the balloon, and let it dry completely.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

ooo Yes it does Bashini thank you, I would never of thought of doing anything like that, I had stupidly (due to never doing it before) thought just stick it in lol, then when it sliped tried glueing it in place with eddible glue, which didnt work either!! I will deffo try the egg whites dipping!

Thanks again

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 4

You are welcome. Let us know how it turned out.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%