Hottest Cake Trends For 2009

Business By gladyk Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 9:14am by MacsMom

gladyk Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 12

This is kind of tongue-in-cheek, but still worth discussing:

11 replies
robinscakes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:19am
post #2 of 12

Part of me is hoping that we're getting away from the topsy turvy. I'm kinda getting bored with that.

pinklesley1 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:21am
post #3 of 12

i think people are going for unique, in colors, flavors, and shapes... it is all about personalization...

i will never do a cake for 100 for $99... thats crazy...

unless they are using it as a gimic to get people in the door so that when they sit, it is the base price and then if they add anything, the upcharge, and if this is the case i think it is just wrong to advertise smethign like that and not give it to the person...

i raised my prices in july of last year, but still honor people who have my old brochures that say the $2.50 price... i find it only fair.. I will let them know well our prices have gone up since then, but I will honor that price on your first cake...

pinklesley1 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:22am
post #4 of 12

oh, and the whole fake cake rental thing.. not so bog here, but what they do do is add fake tiers at the bottom or top to add height with out the exra slices or extra money...

bcake1960 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:28am
post #5 of 12

It seems to me Brides are asking more for Sleek and Simple not a lot of decorating. Also I think color combos are comming from scrap booking items themes I know that was huge with my daugher when planneing her wedding in June. JMO.. icon_smile.gif Fake cake:: still has to be decorated CHARGE FOR THAT!

baycheeks1 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:33am
post #6 of 12

I think some different flavors are comin up...I know I made a Rum Peach buttercream for a tasing last weekend...it was tasty!

MacsMom Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:39am
post #7 of 12

Wedding cake wasn't pinpointed, so can I say that Duff has created a lot more requests for carved 3D cakes? Like cars, dogs, dragons, etc...

Topsy is on it's way out but tilted is becoming more popular.

And I agree that for weddings clean and simple seems to be making headway. And really tall tiers. Much like PinkCakeBox.com has.

summernoelle Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:44am
post #8 of 12

I've had more and more people asking for neat combinations of flavors, which is a lot of fun!

mabryant0212 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:58am
post #9 of 12

With big supermarkets offering a 3 tier wedding cake for $140(South Carolina) it is hard to compete sometimes... but I offer homemade cakes and that win a lot... as far as trends... wedding cakes are going simple with color and the birthday cake the bigger the better...

deliciously_decadent Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:02am
post #10 of 12

i find it really weird if someone orders a cake all the one flavour these days!! lol. most of my latest quotes for the year have all been divided into two catagories (weddings i am referring to) super sleak clean mostly white with a large flower or cluster, very elegant and classy. and the other half fall into the 'using the cake to make the bold statement' catagory with wild wacky colours and themes, i have a red and gold madhatter with karate outfit bride and groom, a 3 tier farmyard, come to think of it most of these ones are madhatters so they are still big here in australia, but i have noticed a massive swing the the very clean understated all white with one flower cake like the magnolia on a plain fondant three tier for example, all white is very popular at the moment, last yr i only did maybe 3 all white cake if i recall no 5. i am hoping to see some awesome citrus colours come through this yr though like lime aqua grapefruit and lemon they would be so much fun! i am hoping this with the flavour swing i have had lately towards the more citrus flavours lemon, lime, lemon/lime strwverry, blueberry, choc berry etc

Chef_Stef Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:29am
post #11 of 12

Ugh, so far, two of the last four cake orders have been this: "We're having 300 guests, but we just want maybe a 2-tier for the 'bride cake' and some sheet cakes on the side." I explain to them, in their misguided hope to save money on 300 sv, that with my sheet cakes, they'd only saving a whopping 114 BUCKS. Whoopdeefrickindoo people. Splurge and get the whole thing in one cake. Geez.

Flavors I'm seeing so far are more...basic...strangely enough. Two want just plain BC filling, not flavored (what??). I do see the mags pushing more exotic flavors, which is cool, since I already offer a bunch of them.

I do have some more interesting modern color and design twists, though, so that's cool. Just on a smaller scale.... (two tiers? who does two tiers? Can you tell I'm annoyed? lol)

MacsMom Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 9:14am
post #12 of 12

I know!! (chef.stef) When I am at a large wedding and see this teeny cake it's obvious there are kitchen cakes to feed everyone.

Don't brides know that the wedding cake is a big part of the wedding? The photos of the slicing, etc.

INDULGE for cryin' out loud! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%