My Cat Is Lost (Insert Cry Icon)

Lounge By ceshell Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 2:29am by stephaniescakenj

ceshell Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 22

icon_cry.gif

He slipped out last night when my DH was chatting with a friend in the driveway. I have had him for 16 years and I am so upset! I have canvassed the neighborhood, posting and handing out flyers and talking to neighbors. A few think they spotted him but all that means is that he is on the move, definitely not nearby. icon_cry.gif

I feel so helpless! Animal control says they only pick up hurt or dead animals so my bet is he is just out there somewhere, cowering behind a bush and starving. We live in the city and everyone's told me there are no predators in the area, but that doesn't help bring him home. He is an indoor cat and does NOT know the ways of the world, so I am envisioning a horrible, slow and agonizing [[[I won't say it]]] He also is allergic to grain in cat foods so if he spots some cat food on someone's porch, all that will happen is he will eat it and vomit violently. So I can't even count on him surviving off of other cats' food.

Just venting, I'm not even looking for advice as I have read everything I could find about "what to do to find a lost cat". I've put out food and boxes with dirty laundry, his cat bed, even litter box, anything to get his smell outside to help him find his way home, but smells only travel so far. If he is where those people think they saw him, then he is just wandering farther and farther away, getting more and more lost. He is old and maybe only had a few more years left anyway, but nobody's pet should have to "go" this way, all alone on the streets and suffering.

I just need to tell someone icon_sad.gif.

21 replies
sugarwishes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #2 of 22

oh my, i am SO sorry!!! i really hope he makes his way home soon!!!! I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. My kitten is still a baby and I don't know what I'd do without her.

My heart truly goes out to you. icon_sad.gif I'm in tears (literally) for you. I will say a prayer for you that he makes his way home safely.

(((huggs)))

mkolmar Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:22am
post #3 of 22

Oh I'm so sorry. I hope he finds his way back soon!
My cat disappeared (also an old indoor cat, but my cat was ill) on my 18th b-day. I really miss her.

I truly hope he comes back.

mbelgard Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 22

I'm sorry but I do have a ray of hope for you.

I live in the country and our cats do go outside some. A couple years ago my female cat went out while we were gone for the weekend and didn't come back. She was gone for about 3 weeks and suddenly appeared thinner than she was but otherwise all right. We had been sure by then that she wasn't coming home.

veejaytx Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 22

I'm so sorry, my heart is breaking for you! I hope you can find him and bring him back home!

stephaniescakenj Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #6 of 22

cats are such resourceful and smart creatures. Try not to get too upset yet. I have a couple cats, the tiniest one was missing for a week and a half. We walked the neighborhood over and over again looking for her... we found the silly cat living under the front porch. She was so skinny when we finally caught her. she was too scared to leave the porch because it was too close to traffic but one night we went out looking for her, we had given up and as we walked up the street to go home, she heard us and popped her head out for just a second. We actually had to set one of those have a heart traps with cat food in it. We gave her a good scrub and fed her and fed her some more and now she's perfectly fine, it took her about a month to finally regain the weight. I doubt she found much food during the time she was gone so hopefully your cat will come home and be perfectly healthy, it hasn't been too long yet. He's probably closer than you think. their sense of smell is amazing. you might want to try calling for him when its really quiet like at night if possible. he might be more willing to come out of his hiding spot when there's less commotion and a familiar sound. Good Luck

ceshell Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:44am
post #7 of 22

Thank you all sooo much for your kind words and encouragement. A NEIGHBOR JUST FOUND HIM!!! I feel so fortunate, all of the homes are "2 on a lot" --two homes, one property.) I fliered an additional block of doors tonight after someone said she spotted him in her block this morning...but there were a few homes (locked gates, dark alleys) I did not flier. Well one that I DID flier, he turned up at and she called me right away. I raced over WRONG WAY on my one way street LOL (only partway I swear) and he is FOUND!!

Hooray, how often do you get a happy ending?? I am wondering if I should bake her a cake?! Or maybe just bring something nice over...I do always think about food allergies, I wouldn't want to thank her with a "killer cake".

I am so happy, and you were right stephanie, he came out at night, that's how she found him in her back area.

icon_smile.gif

I am so lucky, I can't believe it was this "easy" and feel so happy for my little guy.

Monkess Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:44am
post #8 of 22

I am truly truly sorry. I will def. say a prayer for him tonight..please dont give up hope. Try and find a few hours in the evening and go looking, you never know...God keep him safe and show him the way back home. Big hug.

mkolmar Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:12am
post #9 of 22

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! glad he's back safe and sound. Ask her if there are any allergies and then bake her a cake.

sugarwishes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:14am
post #10 of 22

OMG I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank god he made it home safely!!!!! I bet he was real happy to be back home! It's so good to hear a happy ending, thank you for updating us. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I felt terrible.

ceshell Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:52am
post #11 of 22

Wanna know something funny? (I can laugh now that he's back). BOTH people that called me: first the lady who saw my flyer on the telephone pole, and called to say she saw him in the morning looking scared, the VERY first words out of her mouth were: "Is he kind of fat?" Then the lady that actually found him, who called me 7 hours later, the very first thing SHE said was: "Is he kind of fat?"

Baaahahaha! icon_lol.gif

I dunno, what do YOU think??

Actually maybe I shouldn't be so worried about him starving to death icon_confused.gif J/K actually, this pic is from a few years ago before he became allergic to grain. He's not really this big anymore...but I guess he is still plenty large LOL.
LL

mkolmar Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:08am
post #12 of 22

he's not fat he's just fluffy.....yeah, that's it...fluffy icon_lol.gif

veejaytx Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 7:51am
post #13 of 22

That is so wonderful that you got him back home. He definitely is a fluffy cat! Now we can all rest better tonight!

SugarFrosted Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:09am
post #14 of 22

So glad you got your happy ending! Losing a beloved pet is like losing a child. People who don't have pets have no idea.

In that picture your beautiful kitty looks like he should have a beer in one paw and the TV remote in the other icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 22

I'm glad you found him.

On the weight issue you haven't seen a fat cat until you see the ones our vet has. She doesn't call them fat though, they're just plump. I swear she's the only vet I know of who won't yell at you about how much weight your pet needs to lose, she can't because of how porky her own pets are.

stephaniescakenj Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:24pm
post #16 of 22

I had a "plump" and "fluffy" cat when I was a teenager. In his hay day, he topped the scales at 27 pounds. His real name was Paws because he was one of those tuxedo cats with 4 white paws, anyway, eventually we started calling him fat man and he seemed to actually like that name better! He attacked our american bulldog once, latched right onto her neck when she ate his food one night and the dog just stood there with the cat dangling from her neck. HYSTERICAL! I miss my ole' fat man dearly.

Anyway, i think making her a cake or maybe some cupcakes or cookies would be a wonderful idea. It was very nice of her to take the time to call you. Most people would just see a cat in their backyard and ignore him or shoo him away but she took the time to read the flyer and call you.

I'm so glad you found him though, such a happy ending!!!

ceshell Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:07am
post #17 of 22

OMG 27 pounds!!! Yikes!! My kitty was up to about 13.5 in that pic, now he's around 11 I think. I love the mental picture of a 27-lb. cat latched on to a bulldog. Hilarious! mbelgard, I love your vet's attitude icon_smile.gif.

And it is too true, people who don't have pets can't understand the connection or why pet lovers do all we do for our pets. It is not only a member of your family, but a living creature who depends on you for its care so it is painful to see it suffer on any level. If I had not found him I would have felt like I failed him (even though HE is the stinker who snuck out and then kept going the wrong way, dummy!).

Now I am off to go watch tv and drink beer with my cat LOL.

Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:02am
post #18 of 22

ceshell, I just saw this for the first time and as I was reading I was teary eyed and than smiling when I saw you found him. I am a BIG CAT LOVER! I have 2 and I'm always worried that they'll sneak out at night. We live in the woods and there are coyote and fox.

I am SOOOOO happy for you and that beautiful cat! Give him a nice scratch on the head from me icon_smile.gif

Monkess Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #19 of 22

ceshell, The power of prayer! I am so so happy for you...if you notice I posted at 9.44 and you posted at the same time last night, they crossed in cyber space...I wish I had read your post later the same night...I would have slept better...BIG hug to him (and the finder too...yeah bake her a cake, it encourages people to make the effort.)

itsmylife Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:39am
post #20 of 22

Congrats on getting your fuzzball back! Speaking of fat cats... I had 2 cats who were sisters from the same litter... both had the same exact markings and were identical in every way except their weight. The one sister was about 10 lbs and the other sister weighed about 20 lbs.

I remember picking them up from the vet one day after work (I had dropped them off to get their shots), and I was looking at their file when the girl went back to get them, and next to the bigger sister's name was the word 'chunky' in parenthesis.

ceshell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:11am
post #21 of 22

So I baked her a cake! It's really simple, nothing to write home about, but since it now has a sort of "special story" I wanted to post it in my pics anyway. The gp figure is totally awful (unlike Aine2, I cannot render a perfect gp figure in 30 minutes or less) and I tried that Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe from here since I didn't want to make something that had to be refrigerated...so the fact that that icing doesn't smooth well was an unpleasant surprise (glad to have learned that NOW though rather than on a cake where it mattered).

Anyway here's the little cake http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303843

stephaniescakenj Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #22 of 22

it's so very cute. I'm sure your neighbor will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%