Licensed Bakers Renting Kitchen

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm by muddpuppy

notjustcake Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:23am
post #1 of 7

Please tell me your story and how you make it work, "I think" I may have found a kitchen space, but I'm still wondering how much back and forth and carrying around I'll be doing, also if you are renting a kitchen and you do not have walk in customers, does that mean you deliver all your cakes or do you bring them home and have customers pick them up?
Should I bring this up before I make the deal?

I wouldn't want people that work at this restaurant to be passing out my cakes, because if any questions or concerns might arrive it will be too much on the people that are working and the customers might be frustrated.

Thanks

6 replies
pinklesley1 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 7

i always deliver cakes... depending on where you live the rules are different... you have to check the dept of agriculture, as to if you can hold finished cakes in your house...

lesley

notjustcake Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 7

If you deliver do you deliver for free?

Where do you store your supplies, like baing supplies?, Do you have eggs, powder sugar & butter at wholesale price?

Thanks for sharing

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustcake

If you deliver do you deliver for free?

Where do you store your supplies, like baing supplies?, Do you have eggs, powder sugar & butter at wholesale price?

Thanks for sharing

No why would you deliver for free?

You still need to have all your ducks in a row with insurance and licenses and tax numbers and health department inspections and whatever other rules & regulations your area has.

You gotta have your credit references going and your checking account going. Once you get that all behind you you can begin relationships with vendors or maybe you can buy through the kitchen. Sometimes you have to place opening orders of a set amount of money to get the ball rolling with your purveyors.

In the book world it's anywhere from zero to $1500 retail or was it $2500. Anyway all that depends on your volume and the percentage you get off your goods and all that. Honestly if you're not charging for delivery and you're not knowing you gotta charge for that--that's pretty basic in the running of a business. But of course we all gotta start somewhere. Maybe there's a SCORE in you area--google it --some are great some are so so but they might be able to give you some good info.

Where to store your stuff is between you and your kitchen.

I am planning on getting some shelf room in the stock room or putting in a locked storage closet thingy, maybe both. But I work there anyway so I already have my big fat foot in the door and a store room already except it's downstairs far far away but I'm not complaining! Plus I've already been 'granted' my space in the walk-in and the freezer from our cook.

So all that is what you gotta work out with the powers that be.

notjustcake Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #5 of 7

wow thanks for the tips! I have a few of those things I just haven't thought about the bank part yet totally forgot!

muddpuppy Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 7

I rent from a small kitchen hourly, have to deliver all my cakes, have no dry storage which means I have to haul it back and forth, but the place is really great, the owners is so friendly and I'm allowed to take over the front of the cafe to hold tastings whenever I want.. So worth it for me as to not have to rent an office..

muddpuppy Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 7

I rent from a small kitchen hourly, have to deliver all my cakes, have no dry storage which means I have to haul it back and forth, but the place is really great, the owners is so friendly and I'm allowed to take over the front of the cafe to hold tastings whenever I want.. So worth it for me as to not have to rent an office..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%