Advice On 300 Chocolate Covered Oreos

Baking By veronicarueda77 Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 7:58pm by blueman

veronicarueda77 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have made chocolate covered oreos.

My best friend is getting married in April, and she loved the idea of giving out chocolate covered oreos as favors. Now this is the problem. I have not practiced yet. I am planning to make a sample batch this weekend, i have all the supplies. My questions is how is the best way to make them? Would an assembly line work best? My sister and a couple of friends are helping out. Also what about storage? After they come out of the mold what is the best way to store them after coming out of the mold? Plastice bags, plastic containers? And one last question. far in advance can i make the oreos that they will still taste fresh?

I know they are alot of questions. But if anyone can can answer them, your advice will be tremendously appreciated.

9 replies
wrightway777 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 10

I think this site will help you with all your questions (has great pics and great detail):
http://www.teachsoap.com/oreos.html

jescapades Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 10

hi veronica! that's great on your oreo order! they are very easy to make - some melted chocolate in the mold, a cookie, then more chocolate. freeze for a few minutes then turn out onto the counter. i wear cotton gloves when i make them so the heat of my fingers doesn't make marks in the chocolate. they actually don't really go stale after they are covered in chocolate, but you can always put into tupperware, with wax paper between layers. good luck!

oh! and i also put some vegetable oil on a paper towel and rub the mold cavities before i start. it helps the cookies pop right out!

GeminiRJ Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 10

If you have an adequate number of molds and plenty of refrigerator space, you can crank out a ton of these cookies in very little time! Freshness has never been a problem, either. Once covered in chocolate, the cookies last a very long time. We like our cookies cold, so we keep them in the refrigerator in a tupperware container. Make sure they're sealed up well so they don't absorb any food odors, and you're good to go.

toleshed Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 10

What do you use to paint the design with to start? I've used a paintbrush and piping bag. Both times, the color spreads out of the design line.

jescapades Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:37am
post #6 of 10

depending on the size of the design, i use everything from a teaspoon to a toothpick

CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:56am
post #7 of 10

The only way I have ever gotten the Oreo molds with the designs to work has been to freeze prior to adding the scoop of chocolate. I use a paintbrush to smooth design, pop in freezer for at least 5 - 10 minutes then I use a small cookie scooper to add the chocolate, gently push oreo in mold rotating slowly so there are no gaps at the side, smooth chocolate over top (add a touch more if necessary.)

Then into the freezer it goes......10-13 minutes later, I take them out, use bench scrapper to clean the edges and then flip onto a parchment paper and use the warmth of my hands (on the OUTSIDE of the mold) to loosen them. Once they pop out, I wipe the inside of the mold carefully with a clean paper towel to remove any moisture or residue and start all over again.

My favorite is to mount these puppies on lollipop sticks and bag them with curling ribbon - they look soooo cute! I agree with everyone about the freshness - these are easier to work with in advance since once they are sealed, they don't get stale....

esq1031 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:57am
post #8 of 10

I have a little experience with these. If you look in my photos you will see the example of what I did for my sister's engagement party....a bride and groom that I placed in a clear plastic box with a ribbon. I used those plastic bottles with very fine tips to do the smaller details with the colored chocolate. It worked better for me that way vs. a paintbrush which I found was harder to control. I guess a parchment bag would also work but then you have to worry about the tip getting too wet or soggy. Good Luck with your order!!!

HTH
Jackie

veronicarueda77 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone for your replies. Now it seems like this task will be more manageable.

I will post pics of everything when I am done.

Thanks again

blueman Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 10

I too will be doing cc oreos for my son's wedding. 600 of them! I look forward to any advice you'd have for me.
Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%