Am I Way Off Base?

Business By karateka Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 3:57am by gladyk

karateka Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 29

I got a curt call from some woman at 8:15 this morning asking for a quote, she has a picture can she email it to me?

Fine, I give her my address and she emails the picture. I quote her for fondant both 45 and 53 servings (the range she stated) because it looks like fondant to me, with sanding sugar glued all over it. I figure if it was buttercream the sugar would be more pressed into the icing.....to me it looks like kind of a thicker layer, and I don't think that much sugar would stick to buttercream.

What do you guys think? She says it looks like frosting to her.

Grrrrr.... icon_mad.gif It wont' let me attatch it, says the file extension isn't allowed, and I can't find an image that's the same cake or even one done like it!!

Ok, approach from this angle....do you guys usually do cakes that have sanding sugar over the top and all sides on fondant? Or buttercream? It seems to me you'd use fondant to avoid marks in the cake while you are pressing sugar onto the sides.....am I wrong?

28 replies
jen1977 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 29

I would do it on buttercream that hasn't crusted yet. I also think you'd get a thicker layer on buttercream than on fondant. If your buttercream starts to crust, spritz it with water.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 29

Although I've not made one like this, I like the look so I always read the description in the various books/magazines I look at. The descriptions I've read are always sugar on fondant. Is she wanting BC instead? (Although I like fondant, here in small-town-midwest, I usually only get to make the BC designs.)

jenncowin Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 29

I've seen it done both ways, so without seeing the picture, it would be hard to say which way it's done. To get the sugar to stick to the fondant, you would have to have an adhesive like a thin layer of piping gel, for it to stick to the fondant. With buttercream it would stick without that.

Hopefully somebody else has an idea for you. Good luck!

DancingCakes2008 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 29

I have done this with buttercream. All you do is frost then press the sugar onto the buttercream before it crusts. It is a very pretty effect. I have a tilting stand so this helps to sprinkle on the sides.

AmandaPanda Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 29

Posting photo for Karateka of cake emailed to her. icon_smile.gif

karateka Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonfectionKonnection

Although I've not made one like this, I like the look so I always read the description in the various books/magazines I look at. The descriptions I've read are always sugar on fondant. Is she wanting BC instead? (Although I like fondant, here in small-town-midwest, I usually only get to make the BC designs.)

Well, she didn't say she didn't want fondant, just argued with my interpretation of the picture. So, I'm betting she doesn't want that. But I feel it's fondant. I've stuck stuff to buttercream before, and it just didn't look like this. I wish I could post that picture......AmandaPanda might be able to help me (thanks!)

If so, I'll direct you to the picture. At any rate, I don't think I'd want to use buttercream for it. I hated covering a buttercream cake with coconut and I can't imagine coating it in sugar would be any more fun. I figure they used piping gel to adhere it, like jenncowin said....

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 29

That definitely looks like fondant to me - especially with the rounded edges!

julzs71 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 29

Looks like fondant to me. I would rather have fondant so you could peel off the sugar. That would not taste good biting into all that sugar. Yuck!

southerncake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 29

I was going to guess buttercream until I saw the photo, but that definitely looks like fondant! Very pretty too!

jen1977 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 29

Yep. That's fondant. You coule probably brush some corn syrup on it, then stick the sugar to it. Warm the corn syrup a tad first so it's easier to brush on.

Wendoger Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 29

Definitely looks like fondant to me but the 'sanding sugar' doesn't look like sanding sugar, it looks like the little clear flakes you buy, ya know what I'm talkin' about? Used in the correct setting, they can give you look of dew....ummm, I will go look at one of my bottles.....
Great, no name on the bottle...just says Wilton on the bottom....

I don't know how to explain them other than they are little edible flakes..they come in clear, grey, black, and maybe a couple of other colors...the clear being the most popular as the supply store is always sold outicon_wink.gif

southerncake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm
post #13 of 29

I was going to guess buttercream until I saw the photo, but that definitely looks like fondant! Very pretty too!

liapsim Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #14 of 29

Definitely fondant, my dear! Beautiful cake!

Kitagrl Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 29

If the lady insisted on buttercream, you could probably get a noncrusting icing (the kind that gets really hard in the fridge, but is not dry to touch) and then the sugar will stick pretty nice to that. Take each tier seperately and press the sanding sugar all around it.

cas17 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #16 of 29

looks like the cake on page 11 and page 23 of wilton's tiered cakes book both of which are fondant and "2 pkgs of sparkling sugar". beautiful but i agree with julzs71 ~ who'd want to bite into all that crunchy pure sugar, yuk.

Susie53 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #17 of 29

Looks like fondant to me!

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #18 of 29

Here is a close up of some sanding work I recently did. All buttercream!
LL

Susie53 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 29

Jamie85364, wow, that's a beautiful cake!

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:07pm
post #20 of 29

Thank you susie! In response to the "who wants a mouthful of coarse sugar"...I got nothing but rave reviews for that snowflake cake, no one complained about it! So, you can totally do what is pictured with a buttercream iced cake. Good luck!

karateka Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #21 of 29

Jamie-

Did you use a crusting buttercream? Right now I can't sell anything requiring refrigeration....so I'm stuck with crusting buttercream.

And how did you get it to stick without leaving handprints? Last time I was coating a cake in coconut, as I was pressing it on there, I left a few shallow indentations. The stuff wouldn't stick unless I pressed it on there.

As for crusting buttercream, could you add the sugar after it crusted and had been smoothed?

Beautiful cake, btw.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Jamie-

Did you use a crusting buttercream? Right now I can't sell anything requiring refrigeration....so I'm stuck with crusting buttercream.

And how did you get it to stick without leaving handprints? Last time I was coating a cake in coconut, as I was pressing it on there, I left a few shallow indentations. The stuff wouldn't stick unless I pressed it on there.

As for crusting buttercream, could you add the sugar after it crusted and had been smoothed?

Beautiful cake, btw.

Thanks! Well, I have a fairly non-technical technique for this. I had started out by pressing into the cake with my fingers, but decided there had to be a cleaner easier way. And, yes, it was definitely crusting buttercream.

Before it had a chance to crust completely, I poured heaps of the sugar all around the bottom of each tier. Then, with a small plastic palette knife, scooped up the sugar at the base, and gently pulled straight up the sides of the cake, careful with my pressure so I didn't push into the icing, just enough pressure to get the sugar to stick, and keep the knife travelling up the rest of the way. This worked really well! Then, after it was all done, pressed some more sugar in with my fingers to fill in patches that didn't stick.

Jayde Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #23 of 29

Honestly, I would just inform the customer that yes, the picture is fondant (cause with those rounded edges it has to be, and you can adhere the sugar with piping gel brushed on the cake) and if she wants it to look just like the picture then fondant will do the trick.

Tell her that you can produce something similar in BC, but it will not look exactly like the picture. That way she cant complain later that 'it doesnt look the same.'

I have seen a lot of posts like that lately. I think too many people are suffering from buyers remorse waaaayy to much these days.

karateka Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:16am
post #24 of 29

Thanks for sharing your technique, Jamie. Did you have to wet the buttercream at all? The recipe I use is a variation on Sugarshacks....I'm fairly certain the sugar wouldn't stick once I have it smoothed out, since it crusts fairly quickly. Would a quick mist with a water bottle do the trick, you think?

I definitely told her I believed in my fondant diagnosis, and offered a buttercream variation but did tell her that it would look a bit different. That was before I saw Jamies cake, tho.

I doubt I'll hear from her again. Her whole attitude from calling at 8am throughout the emailing process suggested that she thought I was a hack and she really was only going through the motions. But we'll see....I've been wrong before!

jen1977 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:30am
post #25 of 29

You really wouldn't have to wait for it to crust to smooth it since it's covered in sugar. Smooth it as best you can with an offset spatula, and cover that way.

Bonniecakes08 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:49am
post #26 of 29

Hi, I did a fondant cake covered with the sprinkling sugar, two tier. It was difficult to get a good thick layer of sugar as in the picture. Take a look in the magazine Wilton Tiered Cakes. The cover is purple with a pink and white tiered cake on the front. There are two similar cakes, of which I copied. Maybe this will help you.

karateka Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

You really wouldn't have to wait for it t ocrust to smooth it since it's covered in sugar. Smooth it as best you can with an offset spatula, and cover that way.

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif yeah....I guess that makes sense.... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

I will check out that Wilton cake...thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

Definitely looks like fondant to me but the 'sanding sugar' doesn't look like sanding sugar, it looks like the little clear flakes you buy, ya know what I'm talkin' about? Used in the correct setting, they can give you look of dew....ummm, I will go look at one of my bottles.....
Great, no name on the bottle...just says Wilton on the bottom....

I don't know how to explain them other than they are little edible flakes..they come in clear, grey, black, and maybe a couple of other colors...the clear being the most popular as the supply store is always sold outicon_wink.gif

Edible glitter. I think it's made of gum acacia. I love it.

Eating big grains of sugar would be not that cool huh. But I'm not positive edible glitter could give that effect. It kinda dissolves some if it gets wet. But it might work.

gladyk Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:57am
post #29 of 29

Thank you for posting these technique. So beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%