My First Wedding Cake Order!!!

Decorating By tiawanna02 Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm by tiawanna02

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 6

A co-worker of mine call me yesterday and asked if I could make her wedding cake. I happily accepted. We're meeting Sunday to discuss what she wants. What I know off hand is that it's for 35 people and the colors are purple and lavander. My question is: Do you charge for the top layer, if so is it the price you would normally charge for that size since you dont charge per slice??? Sorry I know this is probably common sense icon_confused.gif
Thanks Guys
Tawonda icon_redface.gif

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 6

I charge per slice on all stacked/tiered cakes.....as for the top tier I charge my per serv. price X how ever many servings it serves, a 6" =10 serv........if they want a 6" cake that's not with the main cake, just on the side to save for the anniversary then I charge my normal price for a 6" cake.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not in the business yet but I know a lot of people charge for the top layer but then bake a fresh "top layer" when the first anniversary roles around. When I got married though we were charged for the top layer and there was no "fresh" layer for our anniversary. HTH

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

I'm not in the business yet but I know a lot of people charge for the top layer but then bake a fresh "top layer" when the first anniversary roles around. When I got married though we were charged for the top layer and there was no "fresh" layer for our anniversary. HTH

The bride is offered a certificate for a free anniversary cake one year down the road....funny thing is, a lot of those are never redeemed. icon_cool.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 6

I did not charge for a 6"er. If they wanted/needed to serve the top tier I would make a 6"er and box it making sure the family knew where it was (usually under the cake table). In 25+ yrs I had only 1 person complain about it being 'on the floor'.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thanx for all the replies, now I know what to do. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%