Choco-Pan...tell Me What You Think

Decorating By PennySue Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 3:29am by PennySue

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 19

My local supplier is carrying Choco-Pan now. I've never used it and was wondering if it tastes good and what it is like to work with. Thanks!

18 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 19

I love the stuff. You can roll it really thin. It is softer to work with, but the taste is great.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 19

it is very yummy. It is a sweeter fondant and does well. It is a little softer than some fondants, so it leaves room for more flaws (for me at least), but it is a great medium to work with. There is a 3 tiered wedding cake in my gallery that has brown ribbon, it is covered in white chocopan.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 19

I love it. I know that some people think it's a bit soft to work with, but my house is always too cold (even in the summer, thanks to hubby's addiction to air conditioning) so I don't have a problem with it. For me, it's wonderful to handle and roll. The taste is fabulous!! I also love the caramel and coffee flavors, along with the chocolate and white. I could seriously (and have done so) just eat it plain!

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 19

It tastes awesome, but I have found that if you are working with it when it is hot out, it is a huge pain in the butt! I did one 3 tier cake last February using ivory and chocolate, and it was awesome to work with. Rolled out SO thin, and I had no problem putting it on. But in July, I tried covering my dd's birthday cake with it...what a NIGHTMARE! It ripped and tore; I re-rolled it so many times that I finally just did patch-up jobs. I also used it for the onesie baby shower cake in my photos; that was in warmer months, and was a harder to work with, too. It's easy to smooth out, but it tears easily.

I would get a 2lb tub and try it out...see if you like it.

alyssia2777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alyssia2777 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 19

I personally detest the tast of regular rolled fondant or any kind of icing that has waaaay too much sugar added- with that being said, Choco-pan is by far the best tasting of all of the rolled icings that I have ever tasted. Like some have already posted, it is much softer, but depending on where you live or when you'll use it that will make no difference to you if you are already proficient in the art of fondant.

mpaigew Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssia2777

but depending on where you live or when you'll use it that will make no difference to you if you are already proficient in the art of fondant.

You must not of seen the Food Network cake challenge when Colette Peters tried using Choco-Pan.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 19

I luv it!! (said this fondant newbie!). Seriously, it's attributes is what pulled me into the fondant world. You can roll it thinner (which means it goes further/farther ... I can NEVER figure out which of those words is the correct one to use! icon_redface.gif ) and since I dont' like the thick fondant play doh look, I think Choco Pan makes the cakes prettier.

As far as workability (and it could be strictly my inexperience in the fondant world), I have noticed that when I add color, it's softer and I get more tears than when I just use the white or the pre-colored stuff. But again I point out that I'm a fondant newbie and have a long way to go to be considered "skilled"! icon_rolleyes.gif

But my supply shop is good-naturedly making fun of me, since this "I ain't touchin' fondant so quit trying to sell it to me!" gal now goes in the shop and buys the BIG buckets of this stuff!

(And I love the pre-colored blue! Around here, it's unofficially called "Colts" blue! icon_biggrin.gif )

alyssia2777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alyssia2777 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 19

Was that the one in Colorado- I don't remeber the year but I think she won that challenge didn't she? Of course I would practice before covering a cake but I am almost certain that you can get the hang of using it quicker than a beginner like myself IF you are already good with fondant. One of my chefs at my culinary school swears by it and it does taste much beter...to me any way. Any how- good luck with it, I hope you do well.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 19

I think its delicious ! I only use it for decor ( have never covered a cake ) But everyone loves to eat it used for decorations !

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 19

Love it! Love the taste. I've only used the dark chocolate. It is softer when using it in warmer months. I am going to try the white on my next cake. All the chocolate cakes in my gallery were Choco-pan. I like the dark chocolate flavor, it compliments certain cakes flavors very well. I especially liked it over a red velvet cake I did.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaigew

Quote:

but depending on where you live or when you'll use it that will make no difference to you if you are already proficient in the art of fondant.

You must not of seen the Food Network cake challenge when Colette Peters tried using Choco-Pan.

ok, I am curious, I did not see that show. What happened to Colette Peters?

mpaigew Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaigew

Quote:

ok, I am curious, I did not see that show. What happened to Colette Peters?

If memory serves correct, it was one of the challenges where the decorators are paired with other decorators. The decorator she was paired with brought Choco-pan, and Colette had a really difficult time getting the cake covered without the fondant tearing.

I'm not saying it's not great stuff; it can be! It tastes SO yummy (I, too, have eaten it plain!) and I love that it can be rolled super thin. Just be aware that things like room temp, hand temp, and adding color can greatly affect the workability of it, no matter what your experience with fondant! thumbs_up.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 19

The lights needed for filming heat things up. So that could be the reason for the tearing.

majormichel Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 19

Where can you buy it from?

majormichel Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:28pm
post #16 of 19

Not to go off the topic, Is it better than Satin Ice or not?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #17 of 19

Global sugar art sells it and so does intotheoven.com

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm
post #18 of 19

indydebi:

further to indicate "to a greater extent"

farther is for distance (how FAR is it? ....farther)

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/further-versus-farther.aspx
http://grammartips.homestead.com/pairs1.html (scroll to set 4)

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:29am
post #19 of 19

Thank you all so much for your imput! I get my fondant from Caljava as they are within driving distance to me or (if I'm lazy) I can usually get my order the next day. Again, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%