Another Cake Another Problem - Fondant

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm by newmansmom2004

cakesbydina Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 7

I crumb coated my cake and it was smooth ( really it was ) and when I rolled out the fondant and draped it over it was a bit bumpy. I don't know what else i could have done to get it any smoother. Any tips.

BTW...when i colored the fondant and rolled it out there were air bubbles in it. How do you prevent this from happening?

6 replies
sugarshack Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 7

after I crumbcaot my cakes I flash freeze for 5-8 minutes and then apply the fondant for smoother results.

if you roll the fondnat onto mat, and then flip that mat onto cake, and then peel off, the side with all the little air bubbles will now be fgacing the cake and the up side will be smooth.

Launa Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 7

I've had this problem when I rolled out my fondant too thin. Try making it a little thicker. Also, I usually do a thicker coat of buttercream before the fondant, rather than just a crumb coat.

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:45am
post #4 of 7

I never turn my fondant over after rolling. I pop bubbles with a fine hat pin as I see them developing while I roll. I also use a heavy coat of buttercream (less than a finish coat, more than a crumb) and I smooth it almost as much as I would a finish coat. If the fondant is rolled thick enough, it's generally pretty smooth after that.

Acts238girl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 7

I've also popped the air bubbles with a needle. It seems to happen woth fresh MMF, rather than Wilton. Also it the fondant it to thin!

banba Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 7

Over kneading your fondant before rolling produces some air bubbles, I have noticed.

Over heating it before kneading imo also contributes to air bubbles.

And rolling it to thin will too create air bubbles.

Make sure you are working the fondant from the top down on the cake too. I have a tendency to smooth the top with the smoother and then use my hands on the sides and sometimes initally miss that top rim part a little until I go at it with the smoothers and that really does create air bubbles on me anyway!

newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 7

My experience has been that Satin Ice fondant is notorious for bubbles. I never have it in my Wilton fondant (but I only use for non-edible stuff 'cause it tastes so rank) and only a few times w/MMF. I keep a pin handy when I'm using Satin Ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%