Luster Dust Disaster

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 3:18am by Becscakes

cakesbydina Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 11

Okay I just made a beautiful ribbon and painted it with vodka and luster dust and ruined it. It streaked, the color grouped together in some spots and it changed the color of the ribbon. Ribbon is pink, luster dust is pink ( not the same pink) what did I do wrong?

10 replies
Hollysuann Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 11

I don't have an answer for you, but I am anxious to see what others have to say because I have NEVER been able to get things I paint with luster dust to come out right!

tarheelgirl Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 11

I did this on some ballet slippers this past weekend. It looked spotty after I painted. I don't know if this is the "correct" way to do it.. maybe someone else has a better way.. I just let it dry for a couple hours then took some plain dust without wetting it and stroked it over what I had already painted. It seemed to fix the problem.

SweetHeather Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 11

You have to get the exact perfect consistancy when painting with luster...hard to describe what "perfect" kinda just have to eyeball it. It sounds like your mix was too thin. You add more luster, sometimes wait a minute because it evaporates so fast it will thicken up. It can change the color. Also don't forget you are going from a matte finish to a metallic finish which sometimes colors vary. I ALWAYS rub a little luster on a scrap piece of the same color fondant to make sure I get the color I am looking for first before I paint. If it's too thin it will appear clear with sparkly streaks...too thick and it will get chunky on you while you are trying to paint. HTH!!

alliebear Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 11

i think u might have used to much liquid in your "paint" i always use just enough to make a paste and then paint with that. u could also dry just dusting ur ribbon for a lustery affect.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 11

I think you shouldn't have used the vodka or any wet ingredient at all. I have yet to use anything other than a dry brush.

tarheelgirl Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 11

I just uploaded my ballet shoes. I agree.. next time I will probably just dust instead of paint.

SweetHeather Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 11

Jamie85364 has an excellent point. If the fondant is very fresh..I mean it is not dry to the touch than you and dry brush it on and get great coverage. If the fondant is already dry to the touch, sometimes you do need to "paint" it on to get the depth of color you are looking for!!

kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 11

......shouldn't have used the vodka or any wet ingredient at all.....

It is perfectly o.kl. to use 'wet ingredients' - alcohol - to paint luster dusts on fondant.

The OP's problem was too much liquid. As was said, it is a very delicate balance. One has to work fast as the vodka evaporates so very fast and it's hard to get the balance again icon_sad.gif
Now that it is done, brush the dust on it dry. It should come out fine.

xinue Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:55am
post #10 of 11

You could dry dust it.
If you you any kind of liquid (vodka or lemon extract) the mix should have the consistency of milk. And you have to paint in a circular motion as if you were polishing something.
Check out my phantom of the opera cake, I made it in the class I learned this...
Hope it works for you!

Becscakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #11 of 11

I agree with dry dusting with luster dust, it still looks great and you still get the glitter from it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%