Royal Icing Clogging

Baking By tljkids Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 2:08pm by johnson6ofus

tljkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tljkids Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 11

I think there's an earlier post on this.. please direct me if so. For some strange reason, my icing comes out of the tip just fine then decides to clog. This has happened with fairly fresh frosting. I have tried straining through a clean nylon stocking but that's a pain! I usually use Wilton meringue powder but decided to try Ateco. Do you think the brand of meringue powder has something to do with this? Any ideas on how to keep this from happening?

10 replies
jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 11

It used to happen to me until I discovered that I should Sieve the sugar before using it. Never happened since.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 11

i agree about sifting the sugar.

but also remember that royal icing can crust up fast...so just run your tip under some hot water and it should come straight out again icon_biggrin.gif

babycakes0022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes0022 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 11

I've always used Wilton brand and have never had that problem. Is it clogging up while you are using it or after it has sit for a minute or two?

tljkids Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 11

It's after it has sat for a little bit. I'll have to try sifting the sugar.. I don't think it's from the icing crusting. I keep the bag in a tall glass with a damp napkin in the bottom. This keeps the tips from clogging.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 11

it probably is from crusting in the tip. especially if the icing is a stiff consistancy i was crust and dry very quickly. use a tooth pick to clear the tip.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tljkids

It's after it has sat for a little bit. I'll have to try sifting the sugar.. I don't think it's from the icing crusting. I keep the bag in a tall glass with a damp napkin in the bottom. This keeps the tips from clogging.

tljkids - you can keep a damp paper towel over the tip while you are not using it and it will keep it from crusting over. It doesn't sound like the sifting is your problem, when you let it sit it dries out and gets stuck in the tip.

tljkids Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 11

I'm sure it's not from the tip crusting. I checked!! I'm thinking it's something with the meringue powder. Think of raw egg white.. how it stays together and kid of thick. -I'm having a hard time explaining. The post I read awhile back said something about the icing coming out "squiggly". Mine does that too if it comes out at all.

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 11

tljkids - I always use Wilton meringue powder, but I tried another brand of meringue powder from a cake supply store and found that it had little lumps in it. I ended up throwing it away because it kept clogging my tips. I always sift my powdered sugar, and have tried the nylon sieve. It did work well, but I made such a mess of it! If I'm going to use a fine tip (00, 0, or 1) I mix a little bit of piping gel to the icing mixture. It seems to help, but sometimes I still have the clogging and squiggling going on. Good luck and have fun with your decorating thumbs_up.gif

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 11

If you have clogging issues with royal icing, strain it through a knee high stocking (new of course). I learned this tip from Toba Garrett when I had a class with her.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:08pm
post #11 of 11

I would:
1. sift all the dry ingredients, including merigue powder together
2. be sure the original consistency is not too dry to begin with
3. keep a damp kitchen towel and use it to wrap ends and wipe tip regularly as used

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%