Need Help With My 1St Carved Cake!

Decorating By IloveEmmaCakes Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm by IloveEmmaCakes

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 17

Ok so I'm making my step brother's 14th bday cake! It'll be my very 1st carved cake so I'm freaking out justtttt a little bit. icon_eek.gif
If anybody has ANY advice on how many or what size cakes I should use for this cake it would really be appreciated! THANKS

16 replies
sterling40us Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 17

As far as the size, that probably depends on how many yuo are needing to feed. But it looks like it could easily be done by making a double layer 9x13 then carving on the two ends to get the edge for the front and back. Then a smaller square on the top, or you could use a round or rectangle pan and cut your square for the top. Hope this helps! You'll do great I'm sure!

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 17

The cake needs to feed about 25 ppl.

slopokesgirl Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 17

Well, the easiest way to carve a cake is as follows. Take the file that I'm attaching to this post, or email me and I'll send it to you.

Enlarge it to the fit a bit smaller than the size pan you want to use.

Cut out the paper images

After you ice and stack your cakes. Line up the side images to the sides of your cake and follow along the image.

Then place the top part of the image and get the width.

Then buttercream away. icon_smile.gif

Check out the tank in my photos to get some ideas.

Oops.. I just noticed that the image I attached doesn't have a top.

Well, you can check out: to and do a search for tanks and you will have a huge list of images to choose from.

sterling40us Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 17

In that case, I would make a 11x17 cake, cut it in half so you have 2 8.5x11, and stack those. Then maybe a 6" round to cut your square out of for the top. And since the very top is not completely flat, you could use the scraps from where you cut the square out of the round to place on top and kindof build around it with icing.

step0nmi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 17

i agree with the above post. I would just make a double layer 9x13.
when you get that together just cut at a diagonal, on one side closest in the picture, from the top of the bottom layer into the bottom a little to get that part sticking out like that. and then do the opposite direction for the top layer. it looks like they even used that piece on the top of that side where they wrote "birthday".
it looks like the front of the tank is just curved a little bit. maybe the bottom is cut at an angle like the back? you might just have to wing the front just because..maybe grab a picture of the front of the tank to get an idea.
for the top..i would just use a small 1-layer 6" could probably do round or square and wouldn't even have to carve it.

I actually don't think there is that much carving on this. I do see that the top layer of the 9x13 is slanted slightly on the longer sides (left side of tank)...but I don't think you would have to do that.

do all of your carving while your cake is frozen. wrap them really well and freeze for a couple hours or over night and use a sharp knife..i don't prefer serrated...but that would depend on what you have. (less crumbs)

carving is not hard. Just have fun! and the point of carving is to carve slightly smaller at first to see if you like your cut...then go more if you need to.

Have fun! PM me if you have any questions! icon_biggrin.gif

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 17

Ok, thanks for the replies! What would ya'll suggest for the tank/gun part?

slopokesgirl Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 17

I just used a fondant covered dowel for mine. Just make sure that the uncovered part is long enough to stick into the cake deeply so that it wont droop.

kansaswolf Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 17

My mom used a dark green taper candle for the barrel when we made one of these for my bro... It's a thought anyway! icon_biggrin.gif

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 17

anybody else have any ideas?!

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #11 of 17

anybody else have any ideas?!

step0nmi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 17

i would just find some type of tube...maybe the wilton plastic dowels? i don't think you need to get picky on this just need something lite to go into the cake...maybe even a large straw!?

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #13 of 17

Ok, one more question.. My cakes are always realllly moist icon_lol.gif but If i'm carving a cake should I bake it a little longer so it's not too soft?

step0nmi Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #14 of 17, baking longer will not cause your cake to become less soft. you will want to add in an extra egg and a bag of pudding to your cake mix. (assuming you are doing a box mix) just prepare your box mix like you normally do and add in those extra things. the best thing to do though would be a pound cake type recipe...or you could even do the White Almond Sour Cream recipe found in the recipes on this site icon_smile.gif and like i said...if you wrap your cakes the night before and freeze them and they will be as easy as pie to carve icon_biggrin.gif

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:16am
post #15 of 17

What kind of pudding mix should I use?

step0nmi Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #16 of 17

just regular jello pudding mix! icon_smile.gif you put the dry packet in with your dry mix and then make like normal and add that extra egg 4 eggs instead of three icon_biggrin.gif

edited: I guess I should say...whatever flavor cake you are doing! If you are doing chocolate put in a chocolate one...or chocolate fudge one...whichever. it will just give your cake an added ounff! of flavor. If you are doing a white cake you could add anything to it. my favorite to doctor up a white mix is White's soo yummy! icon_lol.gif

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 17

Ok, sounds good. The cake is going to be fudge marble so I'll probably just stick with a basic jello pudding mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%