How Can I Use This Forum Better?

Decorating By neecerator Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm by Melvira

neecerator Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 27

Obviously I'm a newbie, but I live for this website. It helps me a lot! However, there are so many acronymns, and when I post a topic or question, I can't find the answers. Are they all under Private Messages, or somewhere else? I need some serious help. Please and thanks!

26 replies
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 27

They should be under My Forum Post on the home page (top center tab). You should also receive a email notice when a comment has been left.

neecerator Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

They should be under My Forum Post on the home page (top center tab). You should also receive a email notice when a comment has been left.

Thank you, so much Tiggy2. That really helps. I also found "Watched Topics" or whatever it's called and marked the ones I'd like to keep an eye on.
Now, do you have any help with the acronymns? Thanks for your reply!

Melvira Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 27
Melvira Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecerator

Obviously I'm a newbie, but I live for this website. It helps me a lot! However, there are so many acronymns, and when I post a topic or question, I can't find the answers. Are they all under Private Messages, or somewhere else? I need some serious help. Please and thanks!

Make sure after you create a new thread that it is marked "watch this topic" or you will not know that someone has replied to you. It usually does it by default since you are the author, but sometimes it does not, I would just check to make sure it does. You did find the link to watched topics, that is the best place to look if you're not sure if there are new replies to a thread you're watching. They are still working out all the bugs of the upgrade, so you may not get notices when there are replies. It's been rather hit or miss. If you have any other specific questions, just shoot and we'll help as much as we can!

neecerator Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

Make sure after you create a new thread that it is marked "watch this topic" or you will not know that someone has replied to you. It usually does it by default since you are the author, but sometimes it does not, I would just check to make sure it does. You did find the link to watched topics, that is the best place to look if you're not sure if there are new replies to a thread you're watching. They are still working out all the bugs of the upgrade, so you may not get notices when there are replies. It's been rather hit or miss. If you have any other specific questions, just shoot and we'll help as much as we can!

Hi Melvira:
Thank you so much for your help. I've saved and printed the Acronymn list. We should all have a conference/reunion once a year somewhere, don't you think? icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 27

And, in your settings, make sure that "notify me by e-mail" (or whatever it says) is checked so that you know you have a reply!

sulia Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 27

hi, does anyone know if its possible to save a thread on favourites or somewhere else

thanks maimi

FlourPots Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 27

Well you got one on me, neecerator, and I've been here for months. How do you add someone's reply to the beginning of yours, like you did (the white box).

I was afraid if I tried, it would say...quote [what I was trying to use]quote

Melvira Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 27

Flourpots, you just click the 'quote' button next to their post, then it will come up with a window where their quote is displayed, you just start typing under it.

Neecerator, we have talked about that so many times but as of right now it's not happening because of the sheer volume of people. It would require so much work and expense to set it up so we've not made any progress on it. Plus, if it were to be an official CC thing, Jackie and Heath would need to approve it and possibly be the ones to set it up. They have been SO busy with upgrades that I'm not sure they even have time to eat and shower! icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulia

hi, does anyone know if its possible to save a thread on favourites or somewhere else

thanks maimi

The easiest way is just watch the topic. I have a lot of them I do like this.

Melvira Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulia

thanks maimi

The easiest way is just watch the topic. I have a lot of them I do like this.

Yes. At the bottom of the thread you can find the words 'watch this topic' just click that! thumbs_up.gif If you're already watching it, it will say 'stop watching this topic'.

FlourPots Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:41pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:

Flourpots, you just click the 'quote' button next to their post, then it will come up with a window where their quote is displayed, you just start typing under it.

Let me see if I've done it correctly.

FlourPots Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #14 of 27

Hey, THANKS Melvira!

indydebi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:

It usually does it by default since you are the author, but sometimes it does not,

I've never seen it mark it by default .... which has always been puzzling to me, since I thought it seemed logical that as the author you'd get the notifications. So once you post a new thread, go back into the thread, scroll to the bottom and mark "watch this topic".

To your subject line of "how to use this forum better", let me suggest that subject lines be as direct as possible ... a generic subject line, such as "how do i do this?" won't get as many people pulled into your thread as a specific subject line such as "how do I do gumpaste calla lillies?" (Your subject line on THIS thread is great, btw.)

There's lots of good info in this site, but sometimes the search forum isn't the most user-friendly. So dont' be shy about posting a question that you just KNOW has been answered "somewhere", but you can't find the answer. Happens to all of us, and we're more than happy to help you with either the info you're looking for, or we'll help find the threads with lots of good info. thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Hey, THANKS Melvira!

My pleasure!

Melvira Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:04pm
post #17 of 27

Oh, and the most important thing about this forum... watch out for this crazy woman using the name IndyDebi! She is unstable and will tell you all kinds of crazy wrong stuff!

Bwahahahahaha!! Gotcha Debi!! *gives Debi a noogie!*

I'm kidding of course... she's the bomb!

indydebi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:07pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:

Oh, and the most important thing about this forum... watch out for this crazy woman using the name IndyDebi! She is unstable and will tell you all kinds of crazy wrong stuff!

Bwahahahahaha!! Gotcha Debi!! *gives Debi a noogie!*

I'm kidding of course... she's the bomb!

If I didnt' have to spend my time correcting everything Melvira tells folks, ya wouldn't think I'm a crazy lady! dunce.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Dont' worry about us ... Melvira and I are actually Soul-Sisters!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #19 of 27

Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!! You promised you wouldn't tell everyone about my lack of cake knowledge!!! You said you'd let them think I was smart!!!!!

Yah, Debi and I are twins separated at birth I think. *whispering* Except she's really, really old! Just don't tell her I said that!

indydebi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:32pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:

Yah, Debi and I are twins separated at birth I think. *whispering* Except she's really, really old! Just don't tell her I said that!

Monday, babe. Monday I turn 50!! party.gif

You should see my birthday cake! Just finished it today. The bottom tier has gold-medallions, purple flowers, green leaves/stems and fuschia ribbon! Middle tier is bright yellow. Top tier is Royal Purple!

Melvira Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:37pm
post #21 of 27

That sounds awesome! I will be expecting you to send me a pic of you standing next to it!!!! I seriously don't think you're 50 though. I mean, emotionally, we're still teenagers!

majormichel Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:38pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Monday, babe. Monday I turn 50!! party.gif

You should see my birthday cake! Just finished it today. The bottom tier has gold-medallions, purple flowers, green leaves/stems and fuschia ribbon! Middle tier is bright yellow. Top tier is Royal Purple!

I would love to see you B-day cake. Mines is in April and I am still wondering what should I do. Sorry if I am off the orginial subject.

neecerator Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:51pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Well you got one on me, neecerator, and I've been here for months. How do you add someone's reply to the beginning of yours, like you did (the white box).

I was afraid if I tried, it would say...quote [what I was trying to use]quote

Hi there:
On each person's message, in the top right corner, is a gray "quote box that you can click on. If you just point your mouse overtop of it, it tells you what it will do. In this case, it replies with the history, sort of. Hope this helps! Thanks for your reply!

neecerator Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:27am
post #24 of 27
Quote:

Neecerator, we have talked about that so many times but as of right now it's not happening because of the sheer volume of people. It would require so much work and expense to set it up so we've not made any progress on it. Plus, if it were to be an official CC thing, Jackie and Heath would need to approve it and possibly be the ones to set it up. They have been SO busy with upgrades that I'm not sure they even have time to eat and shower! icon_lol.gif

Hey, Melvira....we share the same birthday. I'll have 48 candles on my cake this year. Sheesh. BTW, I can't upload any pics right now, is it because of the upgrades and cleanup going on?

7yyrt Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:56am
post #25 of 27

Oh yes, indydebi is terribly, terribly old !

(Of course, you notice I never tell how old I am!) I look more and more like my avatar every year.
LOL

JanH Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 9:37am
post #26 of 27

neecerator, you might be interested in this thread started by another "newbie":

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614782-.html

HTH

Melvira Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:

Hey, Melvira....we share the same birthday. I'll have 48 candles on my cake this year. Sheesh. BTW, I can't upload any pics right now, is it because of the upgrades and cleanup going on?

Awesome! Virgos rule!! Not sure why you can't upload right now. If you're getting an error, then yes, I'd guess it's due to the work going on!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%