Please, Help!!! Decoration

Decorating By Keysha Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 1:50am by Frankyola

Keysha Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 5

icon_sad.gif First of all, I love the site. I have read so many things and watched so many videos about working with fondant and decided to go for it on my daughters b-day cake. I have made several decorations but I am having a problem; I can't get them to get hard. I made my own marshmellow fondant, that turned out very well, vbut it just wont get hard. I think that I am not storing them in the proper place in order to do so. All f the videos and articles just say set them aside to let the get dry for a few days, but they don't say where. At first i left the out on the table but they where not getting hard. Then i thought that maybe I should of placed the in the fridge so I moved them and they have been there for a day or so, and while they are firming up a bit, as soon as I take them out, I can tell they are not getting hard. Where do I put them at to dry correctly. Please help, the party is coming and I need a cake.

4 replies
Kara0524 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 5

Well....I use Satin Ice Fondant and mine usually gets pretty hard when I make decorations. I usually use a gumpaste and fondant mixture though because the gumpaste dries a lot harder. You might want to try the gumpaste and fondant mixture for your decorations. Oh and no need to put them in the refrigerator. That can actually cause them to have condensation on the decorations. Your countertop is just fine as long as it's cool and dry. I hope this helps

dmich Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 5

Keysha, my experience is that MMF is alot softer than other fondants and takes MUCH longer to dry. I would recommend using gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mixture, as Kara suggested. If you use strictly gumpaste, you can put the decorations on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Then, warm up your oven, turn the oven off, and put the cookie sheet in there, with the door slightly ajar. Depending on how thick the gumpaste is, it can dry in as quickly as a couple of hours. Don't do this with fondant - it will soften. Good luck!

Keysha Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you guys so much for answering my question for me! They are drying very well now! I will post a pic of my cake when I am done this week! Thank you all! icon_biggrin.gif

Frankyola Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 5

Hi I would add 1 tsp. of tylose to 16 oz. MMF, or you can use this..

http://www.designmeacake.com/id27.html

This gumpaste it is amazing thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%