Ball "splattering" Cake

Decorating By peacenique Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 1:58am by ECSCOOKS

peacenique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacenique Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 10

I have an idea, but am not sure how I might create it.

I'm doing a basketball cake. I am going to place the ball on top of a cake to make up the servings I need. I've been searching for days for a cake that jumps out at me, but have not found 'it'.

My thought is that it might be nifty to make the base cake and then make it look like a basketball has (accidentally) landed on it. It's a teenage girl who simply likes basketball, no particular team. I thought I might decorate the bottom cake as though it was ~the~ cake... pretty and colourful (lime green being the girl's favourite colour) Maybe I could frost it white with a border of lime green/orange/pink.
As an example, I love Cakery's cakes:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=279353
Then, place the basketball (cake) on that; dropping it in just a little bit; icing heaped up around it as though it was smooshing in. Kind of like a crater into the earth. I thought there must be some way of doing the frosting so that it imitates that effect. Maybe I could put some "blobs" of royal icing on wires to achieve the splattering look as well.

Does that sound goofy? Has anybody done anything like that? Ideas?

I'm going to go google craters to see if I can find out how the earth around it might look.

Thank you.

Maija

9 replies
peacenique Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 10

Okay, it appears I have miscalculated the size of my bottom cake.
Disregard this question as the base cake will not be big enough to attempt this idea.
Hmmmm... onto another idea...

Thanks anyway.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 10

Too bad you had to give up on it, because it sounded really cool -- I was anxious to see the finished product! I'm sure that whatever you make instead will be great, too, so please post a photo!

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 10

Reading your question, I was curious what your final product would be as well. I love your idea and I'm sure it would be a big "HIT" if you ever decide to try it! If so, please post a pic!

Toni

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 10

You wouldn't necessarily have to give up on the idea... You could either make a smaller ball and bigger base, or just go with the ball hitting into the side of the cake... make it look like it got caved into from the side... actually cutting out a chunk... slide the ball into it. The trick would be to make it look like the ball rolled through some icing. You could leave some of the texture on the base cake, and leave cake and icing chunks on the ball.

Sounds like a fun cake. I hope you figure out a way to still do it.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #6 of 10

OK - I have a mental picture and I'm going to try to transfer that into a written description somehow:

Do the sheet cake as planned. Do the basketball and place it off to one end of the cake, on the cake board, but not touching the sheet cake. Then take a spatula and remove the icing from the center (lengthwise) going deep enough that you actually see bare cake at least in spots. Take the icing you remove (or fresh if you'd rather) and put that onto the ball with a wrap-around-kind-of effect to look like it just rolled across the cake.

Would that work?

BTW- I love your idea! That is so creative.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 10

I loved the idea! I was wanting to see your finished cake so I could steal the idea (hehe)!! I have a friend who would love that cake. She just started coaching her first grade sons basketball team and is going crazy! Please SOMEONE try this great idea!

peacenique Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #8 of 10

LOL

You first twopeas, and message me when you have it to show!

LOL

peacenique Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:20am
post #9 of 10

LOL

You first twopeas, and message me when you have it to show!

LOL

ECSCOOKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ECSCOOKS Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #10 of 10

sounds like fun - cant wait to see it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%