$99 Wedding Cakes

Business By JillK Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm by mommicakes

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
post #61 of 71

The article states "...serves up to 100...". a 12", 8", 6" combination, using the commonly accepted, 1x2x4 serving, yields 95 (I was looking at the gap between the tiers).

I think it's a win/win situation for everyone involved and a way for the bakery to insure it comes out still intact after this year. I think this year is going to be the year we feel the crunch(for those who haven't already experienced the start of it). I do hope we all make it out the other side of the tunnel.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #62 of 71

I believe it was Kristen who shot JR. Yup, put me in the 'oldies but goodies' category.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm
post #63 of 71

Dude!!!! I'm only 37 and I remeber Dallas!!!! Our family would sit down on Friday nights and have a family supper, then watch The Dukes of Hazard, and then mom and I would make popcorn and drink Diet Coke and watch Dallas. AWWWWWWW.... The bonding moments..... Then my friends and I would make up little Dallas skits and plays. We re-enacted JR's shooting in many different ways about a zillion times.

CatherineR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineR Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #64 of 71

This is a smart marketing stradegy. Discount the cake to draw the customer in and it is for a limited time. They get free advertisement and brides that are on a limited budget will go for it. As mentioned by others this will not attract those that have a $800 cake in mind. My granddaughter will not buy one piece of clothing from Walmart but won't mind spending $$ for a similar top elsewhere. At the end, the bakery will have won because if the cakes taste good although simple in looks then the repeat customers will grateful for their "discounted" cake.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #65 of 71

I spoke directly to the owner of this shop. He is a wonderful guy. No they aren't going out of business, they have done this for a few years, he said he averages about 100 of these cakes a year, and they do bake fresh!

I implemented this program, and have sold 3 wedding cakes in less than a week...none wanted the limited designs offered(I virtual designed 4 no deviation except color choice was allowed), all purchased more expensive custom cakes.

Ha! While typing this I got another call, and again they wanted to deviate from the cakes shown so now they are going to come in for a consult for a custom design! Whoo hoo!

Oh--edited to add that the only advertising I have done for this has been on craigslist! So totally free marketing!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I implemented this program, and have sold 3 wedding cakes in less than a week...none wanted the limited designs offered.....

that's motivating!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #67 of 71

That is so AWESOME!!! Keep up the good work!! maybe one day when I get a kitchen I will try that too!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:32pm
post #68 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

The sizes of those cakes also look small, and according to my serving charts, they'd have to cut those pieces REALLY small to get 100 servings out of them. Even if it's a 6-9-12 they'd still be cutting little pieces.

The $99 cake bride isn't my customer anyway, but if I was in that area I'd be irritated that I'd now have brides expecting me to justify why a custom cake was more than $99. And you know that they'd expect you to justify it. I'd tell them that if they want to serve a quarter of a twinkie to their guests for dessert to go right ahead, since that's probably similar to what you'd be getting with that kind of a cake.

By my charts (Wilton) a 6-9-12 x 4" serves 102. A perfectly respectable slice and not at all 1/4 of a twinkie. And I get a lot more than $99 for it icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:41pm
post #69 of 71

I'm offering a 6" 8" 10" stacked rounds.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #70 of 71

In my area they usually don't serve the top tier, so I was taking that into account. For the Wilton chart that would leave 88 servings, and for the chart that I use that gives you closer to 1"x2" servings it would only be 78. But you can bet that if I'm only charging $99 I'd be counting the top tier in the serving count as well!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #71 of 71

I am going to offer this as a special at my upcoming bridal show in March. I will let you know how that goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%