Cake For Benefit--Needed Tomorrow Help

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 6:50am by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 10

I was contacted by my dd's school to ask if I would donate a cake for a benefit for a boy w/ MD who's medical expenses incurred a lot before the holidays. Bad thing is it is on Sat, I have plans so I'm delivering it tomorrow afternoon & today & tomorrow (day) are pretty busy.

So, I'm wondering if you guys can help get my brain juices flowing. I don't mind working w/ fondant for accents, but it's not popular here. I would like something neutral since they'll be auctioning it off. And it's obvious there isn't tons of time!!!!

So, please help give me a boost (I say batting my eyes w/ my hands in prayer position)

9 replies
TOMAY Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 10

I would do a cake like your turtle cake you have in your gallery

cupcakemkr Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 10

a TT with polka dots and stripes would be fun
I also like you pink cake with the bow and swirls

brincess_b Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 10

i think dots would be nice and easy!
maybe think about the schools mascot, or what your towns famous for, maybe theres a simple link there to a good idea.

dandelion56602 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 10

Their mascot is a wildcat, so I think I'll be staying away from that, but thanks for the idea. I was just hoping to do something new (for a picture sake). And I always like trying new things

MaisieBake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 10

FWIW, if I wouldn't write a check to the event for the full retail of the cake, I wouldn't donate it, either--especially on one day's notice.

sugarbees Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #7 of 10

That is awesome that you are doing this.. I am sure the little boys family will appreciate it.. I know if I were in that situation I would..

janelwaters Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:42am
post #8 of 10

I've done cakes as a donation before at church, but what I do is offer a "gift certificate" for a cake in the future of the winners choice up to a certain $$ retail value. If possible you might be able to do that instead of killing yourself to make a "neutral" cake. Just an idea....good luck!!!!!

dandelion56602 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:55am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the idea of the certificate, I will definitely keep that in mind for the future, especially if I get a last minute call. The town is a small town about 20 min from the bigger town here. The boy had a lot of things done at Vanderbilt (let me tell ya, that hospital is VERY costly) and unfortunately many insurance companies won't pay that much. Around here people hold benefits for families who can't pay medical expenses. I don't mind, it's just that it was last min & I know people just don't understand how much time goes into a cake. But the lady in charge called this afternoon & asked me to suggest a starting price & what the cake would sell for, so that's incouraging. Hopefully it will get more than $20! I'm just glad to help.

So, I ended up making a devil's food, cherry filling, 8" square iced in blue & will put a silver bow on top tomorrow (drying until then), which is the school's colors. I'll either put fondant stripes to make it a package or polka dots, I haven't decided yet. From start to finish (cake & buttercream, baking & mixing, cleanup,etc) except bow assembly it took 7 hours. I'm so use to making buttercream one day, cake one day & then decorating the 3rd day, so I don't know if that's good timing or not. Thanks for the boost, you guys got my juices flowing! I'll post a pic when it's finished! Thanks again!

dandelion56602 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:50am
post #10 of 10

Well, here is what I ended up doing. Since I did the bow I decided to save time & use an impression mat instead of rolling, cutting & painting fondant for side ribbons of a package. I'm sure the lady dropped her teeth when she ended up opening the paper w/ the details & what I would charge. I just hope it brought a lot of money & whoever bought it enjoyed it. (And yes, I attached a business card to the cake board tacky or not!)

The pic is on the grainy side but my dh had taken our better camera to work. Ugh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%