Kerry Vincent Will Judge Cake Competition In Florida!

Decorating By cake_o_rama Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 8:42pm by Sugarflowers

cake_o_rama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_o_rama Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, this is an update on the Let's Eat Cake competition for charity. They have just announced that Kerry Vincent will be a judge. Ok... now I need some of you to step up and join me! I am totally thrilled and scared to death. I'm pretty sure the winning cake will get some publicity and great prizes.

It's totally an honor and a terror to have her judge my cake. I'm going to need some support. icon_smile.gif
http://masterpieceweddings.blogspot.com/2009/01/holy-moly.html

In case you haven't heard of Let's Eat Cake, it's a cake competition in Gainesville, FL on Feb 17th to benefit St' Jude Children's Hospital. www.letseatcakefundraiser.com

7 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:43am
post #2 of 8

The best advice I can give you is to NOT decorate for Kerry. By this I mean don't try to make something you think she will like. This very rarely works - for any judge.

As with any competition, neatness is extremely important. If you are making flowers either make them botanically correct or make sure that any judge knows that they are "fantasy" flowers. Even fantasy flowers need to be neat.

Good luck with the competition.

Michele

cake_o_rama Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the help! I was thinking about this last night. Honestly, I was freaking out a little. Her work is crazy amazing, but it's not my style. I'm more clean lines and contemporary. While I'm in awe of her work, it's just not "me" Thank you for reconfirming what I was thinking. I'm just going to do my best with what I do and hope it's good enough! thumbs_up.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 8

HOLY COW!!! I can't believe I'm about to say this........ count me in! I'll compete. I hope your happy!! haha! I have so much going on the weekend before, good thing its a dummy cake! Now I just have to work on a design......

Does it have to be a wedding cake or can it be any cake I want?

cake_o_rama Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 8

Yea... good for you! remember, it is for charity. The rules say it should be a wedding style cake, but lots of cakes fit into that category. If you have any questions PM me. All of the forms and rules can be found on the website www.letseatcakefundraiser.com

My week before is crazy too! I think it will be worth it though! I hope Kerry will autograph her book for me.
icon_lol.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 8

OMG - I think I'm going to puke! I can't believe that I volunteered for this!! I've never done a competition before.....

does the topper count as part of the cake?

cake_o_rama Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 8

Take a deep breath! When I found out she was judging... I wanted to back out... not so gracefully. I finally pulled myself together and now I think I'm excited. icon_biggrin.gif

I've never competed in a cake competition either, so it will be a first for all of us. I'm not sure about the topper, but I'll PM you Melissa's email address. She can answer any questions you have. thumbs_up.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

OMG - I think I'm going to puke! I can't believe that I volunteered for this!! I've never done a competition before.....

does the topper count as part of the cake?

Yes, the topper counts as part of the cake. Make as much as possible edible. Even if it is just a bow or figure or even a single flower. Anything non-edible will really count against you. Very few judges let this go through. A perfectly beautiful cake can lose to a lesser cake because of the use of non-edibles. Ribbon trim can sometimes pass, but usually only for beginners, and advanced.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%