CookiezNCupcakez Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:20am
post #1 of

I'm new to baking and /decorating and I'm having a blast! Loving this site too icon_biggrin.gif
I'm wondering if any one had tried jello pwder to flavour buttercream and your thoughts on it..

What are your fav flavours / ways to flavour buttercream?

Thanks for any suggestions

9 replies
baycheeks1 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:26am
post #2 of

I would like to know also

BCJean Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:32am
post #3 of

I don't know about Jell-o, that might change the consistency but I know you can use Kool-Aid to color and flavor buttercream.

When they first started enforcing the copyright laws, in the 80's, I had been making lots of Care Bears. When I knew I could no longer do them to sell, I started making real similar ones and called them, Flavor Bears. I made the bear the color of the flavor of icing. It went over quite well for awhile.

MaisieBake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of

I'm sure you can use it but think about flavors-- for example is what you're looking for something that tastes like strawberries or something that tastes like "strawberry"?

sweet_teeth Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #5 of

Here is one:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fluffy-pudding-frosting/Detail.aspx

hth icon_smile.gif

maryj Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of

If we are talking Jello gelatin, then yes I have flavored with Jello. I also use it to add flavor to fillings. I do one with with chocolate pudding, using only a little over half of the milk called for, I sprinkle in some raspberry flavored gelatin and fold that into my buttercream. It delicious.

kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #7 of

I too have used KoolAid for years in b'cream but don't recall using Jello gelatin. The recipe link above is *not* for jello....it's for pudding icon_sad.gif

chutzpah Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 7:37am
post #8 of

One question.... why in the world would you want to put meat in your frosting?

If you want to flavor frosting try fruit compounds instead!

sparklynne Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 7:58am
post #9 of

Jell-o has a bad habit of making a real texture issue in bc. I know you are wanting to get a flavoring that is POW! but from my experience it is really off putting to feel like you have grains of sand on your palette and tongue. I have used the kool aid as well but find that I only use that for kids cakes when I need that extra punch. Most adults don't want that phoney bologna taste in my experience. Maybe it is just me and my area but I find that a lot more folks are requesting the fresh fruits and lighter infusioned flavors with fruit folded in etc. HTH

pinkpiggie78 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm

I really like using the concentrated Lorann flavor oils in my BC. I just put in a few drops to lighly flavor the BC to compliment the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%