DEE5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEE5 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:58am
post #1 of 10

How do I trace a picture of Dora on to my cake? Please help

9 replies
mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 10

I just did a frozen buttercream transfer that was pretty easy. You can do a search for frozen buttercream transfer and there is a how to link. I hope this helps.

SimplyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyM Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #3 of 10

I prefer doing a color flow image. I think you could also try FBCT. I have not tried it yet.

The Dora cake in my pics was done using the color flow method.

Good luck!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:21am
post #4 of 10

You can lay a piece of parchment over the picture, trace the outlines with piping gel or a light color butter cream, turn the parchment over onto your cake and press lightly the lines will transfer onto your cake. You can then fill them in with stars, etc in butter cream or piping gel. Just keep in mind the image will be in the opposite direction of the original picture. Hope this helps.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 10

HI, I use rice paper and edible colour pen. I trace the picture on to the rice paper with edible pen and cut it out and stick it on the cake with a bit of buttercream. Then I use fondant or buttercream to fill the picture. I did a Red Power Ranger cake using this method. Its in my photos, if you want to have a look. icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 10

I used to do color flow, but I finally did a frozen buttercream transfer and I'll never go back. I found that it was much easier and that I could make corrections so easily while I was piping.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

You can lay a piece of parchment over the picture, trace the outlines with piping gel or a light color butter cream, turn the parchment over onto your cake and press lightly the lines will transfer onto your cake. You can then fill them in with stars, etc in butter cream or piping gel. Just keep in mind the image will be in the opposite direction of the original picture. Hope this helps.

This is pretty much what I do.

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

This is also how I do it. icon_smile.gif It's pretty simple to do too. icon_smile.gif

PJ219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ219 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 10

Place wax paper over your image. I find it easier to tape the image down on the counter and then tape the wax paper over the image. Trace the image with a pencial. Turn the image over and trace with colored piping gel. I usually use one of the colors that are going to be in the picture. Turn the image back over and place on your cake and lightly press onto your cake. Thus now the image is the same as your original and not reversed. One hint.....when you are tracing the reversed image with the piping gel, do the most detailed part last. Sometimes when the piping gel is applied for a little while it drys slightly and the design wont come off your cake very easily. Hope this helps. I have been wanting to try buttercream transfers but haven't so far. This method has worked well for me.

SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 10

I use the FBCT method as well. I love it!! It's very easy to fix any mistakes as stated above. I've only had one time where it didn't transfer to the cake properly, and even then I was able to fix the mishap on the cake. Both Dora & SpongeBob cakes in my photos are FBCT..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%